X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Chase
    Old but keen
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Janos
    Not even switching diluent to air? Quite a few examples of that.

Janos

Link me to them?

I have asked the question many times and no one has come up with any hard evidance. There was one incident of a inner ear bend but that dosen't necerrily mean it was ICD.

The problem with gas switching to air is narcosis not ICD. As i said i have gas switched from 60+% He to 32% nitrox many times. As has most decompresion divers doing dives in the last 20 years who wernt GUE trained.

ATB

Mark

Comment

• Scuba steve
      TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

The oxygen window is a realitive term for increasing the rate in off gassingnor excelerated deco . The futher the window is opened the "quicker" the off gassing process . It is a great theory for explaing off gasing and excelerated deco

Im only doing He diving since 07 and not sure on the good auld days were divers were divers . What i do know is that i have only ever seen 50% ,80% and 100% mixes on the deeper diver boats . I have seen diver doing deep air dives using 32% but the are only racking up shorter decos and cutting abit off . Any of the leading deep divers iv sat with and talked to all sing it from the towers that the first switch off helium should be to Ean50 .
      You dont have to be able to spell to be a diver

Comment

• dlk
        This field left blank
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Janos
        Because the Nitrogen pp gradient is huge - 1.6 bar (ambient) to zero (tissues). The Helium coming out isn't a straightforward simple diffusion across a membrane - but a complex thing involving perfusion from slow tissues to blood to lungs etc...
        Here are some numbers.
        Tmx 20/25 to Nx 32 @ 40m.

Saturation targets (end points):
        Before switch: ppN2=2.75, ppHe=1.25, total p=4.0
        After switch: ppN2=3.4, ppHe=0, total p=3.4

Gradients:
        N2 2.75->3.4 = +0.65
        He 1.25->0 = -1.25

Relative speed of diffusivity: He=2.65xN2

Diffusivity modified gradients:
        N2: +0.65
        He: -1.25x2.65 = -3.31

You seem to be off-gassing He at 5 times the rate you're on-gassing N2. If we can formulate if/where where this is reversed then we have a guideline for ICD control. I am presuming this has already been done (and is maybe the basis of the 0.5 bar rule)?

EDIT: I cannot find any switches where this is reversed, i.e., I cannot find any circumstances where you would on-gas N2 faster than off-gassing He.
        Is it a transient spike in a supersaturation window??

Oh, and re perfusion limited models, that's sorta what Doolette & Mitchell propose in their IEDCS model (serial compartments), also referenced earlier.

DLK
        Last edited by dlk; 04-01-2013, 11:23 AM. Reason: Cannot find any fail cases!

Comment

• dlk
          This field left blank
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Scuba steve
          The oxygen window is a realitive term for increasing the rate in off gassingnor excelerated deco . The futher the window is opened the "quicker" the off gassing process . It is a great theory for explaing off gasing and excelerated deco
          There are at least 2, and possibly 3 (depending on your thinking) interpretations for the term Oxygen Window.
          Increasing the off-gassing gradient (as you're proposing) is entirely valid and beyond contention.

Mark is referring to the O2 window partial pressure vacancy theory, or inherent unsaturation. This is an interesting model, but very contentious.

DLK

Comment

• Major Clanger
            Purine hurts my feet
            • Dec 2012

ICD is when v-planner says you shouldn't use that mix as a deco gas. I've little interest in the science behind it other than a basic working understanding. Interestingly (to me as I use them), neither the ostc planner or ideco raise an eyebrow at it. Why you all splitting airs over what's clearly explained in deco for divers and simlar?
            GaryL

Comment

• dlk
              This field left blank
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Major Clanger
              ICD is when v-planner says you shouldn't use that mix as a deco gas. I've little interest in the science behind it other than a basic working understanding.
              Nothing wrong with that.

Interestingly (to me as I use them), neither the ostc planner or ideco raise an eyebrow at it. Why you all splitting airs over what's clearly explained in deco for divers and simlar?
              Because it isn't.

Comment

• Major Clanger
                Purine hurts my feet
                • Dec 2012

Explaining Isobaric counter diffusion

Explained well enough for most to know they font have to bother about it.
                GaryL

Comment

• JPTaylor
                  Closed Account
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mark Chase
                  Link me to them?
                  Not everything is on the internet!!

Comment

• dlk
                    This field left blank
                    • Dec 2012

Agreed.
                    That's why I put this in Physics & Physiology, and not Technical Diving or Decompression.
                    I want answers, and I want them now, dammit!!

Comment

• matt
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dlk
                      Here are some numbers.
                      Tmx 20/25 to Nx 32 @ 40m.

Saturation targets (end points):
                      Before switch: ppN2=2.75, ppHe=1.25, total p=4.0
                      After switch: ppN2=3.4, ppHe=0, total p=3.4

Gradients:
                      N2 2.75->3.4 = +0.65
                      He 1.25->0 = -1.25
                      One question on this - just looking at N2 component. FN2=100-(20+25)=55 (0.55). 40m -> 5 bar * 0.55 = 2.75.

OK - I figured that bit out. Is 2.75 right or do you need to take into account supersaturation as suggested in Bruce's diagram below:

Saying:

Bowenworld Article

Originally posted by Bruce et al
                      Depicted in Fig 1 is a comparative representation of the time courses of changes in helium, nitrogen, and sum of the two, tissue tensions for 480 min nitrogen tissue compartments and 240 min helium tissue compartments. The depth is 200 fsw with abrupt change from normoxic nitrox to normoxic heliox. Note the buildup in time of total inert gas tension, with a maxima after some 400 min. With faster tissue compartments, this maxima builds more quickly, on time scales of the slowest tissues involved. Actually the curves remain the same as shown, but axis time scales are shortened by the ratio of the fast tissue halftime, t, divided by 240 for the helium compartment, t/240, and similarly for the nitrox compartment, tissue halftime, t, divided by 480, that is, t/480. This is quite obviously not a good scenario for the mixed gas diver. If the gases were flip flopped, a minima would develop, identical in shape to inverted
                      Matt.

Comment

• matt
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

What type of Font?

Comment

• JPTaylor
                          Closed Account
                          • Dec 2012

The only *practical* guideline I'm aware of is that the percentage increase in N2 on a gas switch should be no more than 1/5th of the decrease in the He percentage.

(Covered in Mark Powell's book "Deco for Divers")
                          Last edited by JPTaylor; 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Major Clanger
                            Purine hurts my feet
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dlk
                            Agreed.
                            That's why I put this in Physics & Physiology, and not Technical Diving or Decompression.
                            I want answers, and I want them now, dammit!!
                            Lol, I could tell you the answer but it would involve buying me lots of beer and curry. The answer may be wrong as well.
                            GaryL

Comment

• Major Clanger
                              Purine hurts my feet
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by matt
                              What type of Font?
                              That's it, the font for fat fingers
                              GaryL

Comment

• dlk
                                This field left blank
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by matt
                                One question on this - just looking at N2 component. FN2=100-(20+25)=55 (0.55). 40m -> 5 bar * 0.55 = 2.75.

OK - I figured that bit out. Is 2.75 right or do you need to take into account supersaturation as suggested in Bruce's diagram below:
                                Good link, thanks.

The supersaturation is what I'm wondering about (transient spike), but not I think as outlined here. Bruce's diagram & explanation cover slow-fast switches, which I get. I need to do some more sums to see if they also cover fast-slow. (He says not... that the maxima inverts to a minima, as per my calcs [it's an easy spreadsheet].)

Comment

Working...