Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: PNG - worth it?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PNG - worth it?

Planning a dive trip. PNG liveaboard (Febrina) or a GBR/Ribbon Reefs/Osprey Reef liveaboard are the options (Spoilsport). I've done the latter before and this time there will be minkie whales hopefully. Cost is similar, but there is the added time and hassle of getting to PNG. Worth it? I'm mainly interested in big pelagics if I'm travelling that far. Not interested in cultural stuff, just the diving.

BTW, you guys are very lucky with access to Red Sea liveaboards. It costs a f****** fortune to get anywhere from NZ and the diving in the south Pacific is just as expensive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Closest I've been is west end of New Guinea out of Sorong on Seven Seas Liveaboard Very Very Good Only big stuff was Mantas two sites, Oh and Wobegongs. One name I would share for the area is Graham Abbott http://www.diving4images.com/about/graham/ I'm not sure about his range ? Papua mainly Indo.
    Very Knowledgeable guide to the area works freelance with various dive boats largely guides photographers. Well worth finding out his itinerary and seeing if it fits with your plans.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes definitely. We went to PNG for honeymoon a (good) few years ago when Mike Ball had a boat running out of PNG. Not sure about big pelagics being highlight but diving more interesting than GBR. Lots of muck diving and playing with nautilus was interesting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    G'day Andrew

I realise you'll be flying from New Zealand and not Australia but have you considered a trip to Komodo?

I did a 6 day liveaboard in September last year with these guys www.divekomodo.com and had a ball.

The boat is definitely for the budget conscious but the diving was superb, the crew very professional and the food fantastic.

In the 18 or so dives I did over the 6 days, I saw black and white tip reef sharks, 6 or 7 types of trevally, tuna, barracuda etc.

I actually extended my trip to dive Bali as well but the friends I travelled with did the entire trip (return flights from Perth, return flights to Flores to catch the boat, 6 days accom, food and diving on the Tatawa, plus a few days accom on Flores before and after the trip) for close to $3000 Aussie dollars each.

SCD
    Last edited by SouthCoastDiver; 06-04-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    cheers SCD, will check it out.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    After cogitating, I've decided to go back to the GBR, primarily because of the minkie whales, but also it is relatively easy for me to get there versus more far flung destinations. Thanks for the input.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A GBR liveaboard is on my list too Andrew. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to write up a dive report once you've been to make me even more green with envy.

SCD

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face recent dives in Papua New Guinea?

I'm wondering if some people have been to Papua New Guinea recently? Just saw this trip that looks amazing and would like some feedback of scuba divers who went there recently:

https://www.seacrush.com/en/diving/p...ry-liveaboard/

Thanks a lot!!