X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm123
    TDF Member
    • Apr 2016

WANTED: PLB and /or Canister

I've been looking to get a plb recently, originally after an Ocean Signal PLB1 and probably the custom divers plb canister (although I've heard bad things about it?).

If anyone has any other PLB's too that would be great and / or a canister.

Also any advice greatly received!

Thanks!
  • Wibs
    Established TDF Member
    • Aug 2015

Nautilus Lifeline PLB http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/
    Small, built for divers, lives in your pocket. There's also the old version which has a VHF radio so you could talk to the boat.

Comment

• AndrewRawlingson
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

I've had the CD canister for 5 years and no problems. I've heard bad things too.

Comment

• greatwhite
        Established TDF Member
        • May 2013

I have used the custom divers canister for may be 150 dives now and have never had a problem. Always check the o'rings and don't screw it in to tight! You can always vacuum seal the plb which may help incase of a leak?

Comment

• jm123
          TDF Member
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Wibs
          Nautilus Lifeline PLB http://www.nautiluslifeline.com/
          Small, built for divers, lives in your pocket. There's also the old version which has a VHF radio so you could talk to the boat.
          Yeah if they still made the radio one I'd probably get it, however they don't and that one isn't a PLB technically, its just the DSC distress button, so still really only good for a mile or so if there are any boats around. I think I prefer the PLB as it will work anywhere but thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

• jm123
            TDF Member
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by greatwhite
            I have used the custom divers canister for may be 150 dives now and have never had a problem. Always check the o'rings and don't screw it in to tight! You can always vacuum seal the plb which may help incase of a leak?
            Maybe that's the problem, people not using it correctly. Good to hear it is generally ok!

Comment

• cathal
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

WANTED: PLB and /or Canister

Originally posted by jm123
              Maybe that's the problem, people not using it correctly. Good to hear it is generally ok!
              Ok I'll start by saying I had 2 CD canisters and both flooded but in the end I worked out the cause and it was user error! This user error was that having greased the Orings I also greased the threads!!! When it's screwed shut without greasing the threads they have a sort of dry seal against each other. But with the threads greased there's just enough lubrication to allow water in. With the dry threads she's been down to 130M and no problems at all. And that was the second canister that had already flooded. So my lesson learned is not to grease the threads on the canister.

P.s I have a brand new Mc Murdo Canister for sale if anyone's interested, never been wet.
              Last edited by cathal; 18-02-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• SouthCoastDiver
                TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

I house my PLB in an old Underwater Kinetics D8 torch housing that I clip to a hip D-ring. A little large and bulky when sitting on the shelf or in my dive bag but no worries at all when actually diving.

Comment

• greatwhite
                  Established TDF Member
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by cathal
                  Ok I'll start by saying I had 2 CD canisters and both flooded but in the end I worked out the cause and it was user error! This user error was that having greased the Orings I also greased the threads!!! When it's screwed shut without greasing the threads they have a sort of dry seal against each other. But with the threads greased there's just enough lubrication to allow water in. With the dry threads she's been down to 130M and no problems at all. And that was the second canister that had already flooded. So my lesson learned is not to grease the threads on the canister.

P.s I have a brand new Mc Murdo Canister for sale if anyone's interested, never been wet.
                  Hi, Are the McMurdo canisters new to the market? I can't remember them being for sale when I purchased my PLB? What is the cost for a new one out of interest? How did you get grease on the thread? Was it from trying to slot the greased o ring into place? If so, I'll have to remember to wipe my threads with a clean cloth after inserting the o ring. I do some times wonder if too much/too often o rings causes problems? I find on my underwater housing the more I grease the o'ring the more problems I have encountered.

Comment

• LearnerDiver
                    Cancelled Account
                    • Jan 2013

Hi, Are the McMurdo canisters new to the market? I can't remember them being for sale when I purchased my PLB? What is the cost for a new one out of interest? How did you get grease on the thread? Was it from trying to slot the greased o ring into place? If so, I'll have to remember to wipe my threads with a clean cloth after inserting the o ring. I do some times wonder if too much/too often o rings causes problems? I find on my underwater housing the more I grease the o'ring the more problems I have encountered.
                    I think that may be because people put way too much grease on O rings. They need very little, just a very small amount well spread out.

Easiest way is to put an O ring in a poly bag, put a spot of grease in and then just roll the ring around inside the bag but you sometimes see them absolutely covered in grease.

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Any views on the Nautilus Lifeline? Am I right that you need to link them to the boat you are diving off of on that day?
                      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• cathal
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Hi, Are the McMurdo canisters new to the market? .
                        Nope

How did you get grease on the thread?
                        I deliberately greased the threads with silicone grease for lubrication so they wouldn't seize over time.

Comment

Working...