X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Treerat
    The swimming rodent
    • Dec 2012

Lanzarote - Calipso Diving

After a couple of great weeks diving with Calipso Diving in Lanzerotty Calipso Diving Lanzarote I thought I'd write up a short report of what we found.

We were looked after by Pete, the centre owner, 6 of us went from Bude for a week and I stayed on for week 2 with the family in tow. We dived most of the week from Puerto De Carmen with a day further up the coast at Mala. Most were shore dives but we had one dive from a rib and another from what looked like an Offshore 125 with no cabin!

We dived the;

Cathedral
    Entry via the bay of Playa de la Barrilla. Free descent to 16 metres, along the reef to the left and over a drop-off which takes you down to the Cathedral at approximately 30 metres. The Cathedral is a huge, no clear surface cave with alcoves of finger coral and glass fish at the far end. The upper part of the cave is vibrant with soft corals and fauna.

The Altar
    In the middle of Playa de la Barrilla Bay. This dive commences at the end of the protected bay and is an interesting dive with overhangs on either side where globular anemone, large shrimps and protective arrowhead crabs can be found. Free descent to 10 metres and down to a depth of approximately 25 metres.

The Drop-Off
    The top of the reef commences about 20 metres undulating down to approx. 60+ metres and this afternoon dive takes a tour along the top of the reef down to a maximum of 25 metres. A variety of marine life can be found together with colourful globular anemones.

Pink Coral
    Entry via the bay of Playa de La Barrilla. Free descent to 16 metres, along the reef to the right and along a drop-off which leads to one of the rare pieces of pink coral in an alcove of a lava flow. This site has a lot of fish activity in mornings and is visited by trigger fish, fusiliers, barracuda, shoals of sardines and a variety of other small fish.

The Harbour Wall
    This dive begins in the bay of Playa de La Barrilla and gradually leads to a depth of 12 metres. The bay is frequented by numerous divers and the fish are fed so marine life is in abundance. Outside of the bay and leading around to the right is a small harbour wall where cuttlefish, octopus and sea horses can be found.

Blue Hole
    Jump entry from a jetty at high tide with a snorkel swim out to a buoyed anchor line which leads divers down to about 12-14 metres. The reef is followed around to where the Blue Hole commences. The Hole leads down through the reef and out the other side into the deep blue waters of the Atlantic. This dive is from 25-35 metres in depth. Apart from divers this site is visited by great barracuda, grouper and Angel shark. A torch is ideal on this dive to explore the inner caves of the Blue Hole.

Punta Tinosa Wrecks
    Two fishing boats have recently been sunk for the purpose of diving. One wreck is in 18 meters of water with the other one in 22 meters. Although new wrecks, the dive is most enjoyable and on a clear day the wrecks can be seen from the surface. A wide variety of marine life can be found on this site.

We found a large amount of life to play with including;

There was also Arrow Head crabs, Rays, Tuna, the odd shark and plenty of other fish and fauna.

We had a great week, some superb diving at a really good price. So if you just want simple diving, good banter, plenty of abuse yet the feeling of being looked after (just like the hire kit seemed to be) try them. They were happy to work around our time lines and I'd happily dive with the again.

Last edited by Treerat; 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM.
    Andy
    www.budediveclub.co.uk
    www.gafirs.org.uk
    If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!
  • Ruffy
    Stating facts ; )
    • Dec 2012

Nice shoots there! I like this area, been there about twice a year for the last ten or so years but with Safari Diving looking after me, Calypso have a great reputation too I might add.....
    I see you got to meet Felix the resident grouper.....Happy days!!
    Bacon is good for you!.....................................

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
      Established WTF Member
      • Dec 2012

I thought that I recognised Felix.
      There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
      Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Gaz
        New TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Lanzarote - Calipso Diving

What did you think of mala !! ??

;-)

Gaz

Sent from my BlackBerry pudding using my Toe's.

Comment

• smileydiver
          Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
          • Dec 2012

Great pics, the nudis are awesome! OK, Lanzarote may also need to be added to my dive holiday list ...
          The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• Treerat
            The swimming rodent
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Gaz
            What did you think of mala !! ??

Interesting - got to keep your reg in!!

Would have been better if the bronze status weren't all OAPs
            Last edited by Treerat; 12-01-2013, 08:34 AM.
            Andy
            www.budediveclub.co.uk
            www.gafirs.org.uk

Comment

• smileydiver
              • Dec 2012

Can I please ask what time of year you went and what the water the air and water temps were roughly? Also where did you stay? Any recommendations? Thanks
              The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                Established WTF Member
                • Dec 2012

I did Christmas and New Year. Air was low 20s, warm enough to have breakfast on the patio in my speedos. Water was about 20, nice in a 7mm wetsuit.
                There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• smileydiver
                  • Dec 2012

Thanks, it is in my poss go Sept / Oct category at present when all the kids are back at school and flights etc are not extortionate

Comment

• Treerat
                    The swimming rodent
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by smileydiver
                    Thanks, it is in my poss go Sept / Oct category at present when all the kids are back at school and flights etc are not extortionate
                    You'll be fine. We went in April and dived in 7mm and lived in shorts and t-shirts, water temp was 19. We stayed at one of the Costa Teguise hotels as we had the kids with us - nhttp://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/accommodation/overview/Costa-Teguise/Los-Zocos-Club-Resort-032405

It was ok, clean and a nice pool / kids club. Felt a bit like Butlins but suited our needs. SOme of the guys stayed in a B+B arranged by Pete at Calipso.

When we go this year we're staying at Playa Blanca as it's a nicer area - or so the wife thinks and I'll be taking the 5mm
                    Last edited by Treerat; 12-01-2013, 08:37 AM.
                    Andy
                    www.budediveclub.co.uk
                    www.gafirs.org.uk

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

I have done PDC twice. Went for 2 weeks in August and loved it so much I went back for a week in December. Did 2 dives a day everyday and some night dives as well.

Did all of my dives in a 5mm shortie.

I think the diving there is some of the best I have done. Better than Fueteventura by a fair bit. I was in the Red Sea 4months befor Lanzarote and I preferred PDC
                      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• smileydiver
                        • Dec 2012

I think Lanzarote just kicked Cape Verde off the list for this year - thanks guys! Oh and as I am a complete wuss I will be wearing full length lavacore under my 5mm wetsuit and a hood he he he :cool:

Comment

• Janos
                          "Three Sheds"
                          • Dec 2012

Nice report. Makes me wish I was abroad instead of freezing here!

Originally posted by Treerat
                          We had a great week, some superb diving at a really good price.
                          How much was it (flights, diving, accommodation) if you don't mind me asking?

Janos
                          You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
                          Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
                          My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Comment

• londonsean69
                            Bacon fiend
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by smileydiver
                            I think Lanzarote just kicked Cape Verde off the list for this year - thanks guys! Oh and as I am a complete wuss I will be wearing full length lavacore under my 5mm wetsuit and a hood he he he :cool:
                            Nothing wrong with being warm. When working out there I would often wear a 2 piece 7mm in winter, and have 2 on the go, so I could put on a dry suit
                            Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• Major Clanger
                              Purine hurts my feet
                              • Dec 2012

I'm there first week of February and will be wearing a dry suit.
                              GaryL

Comment

Working...