X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darren A
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

WTB: 18' Hybrid bike

In a moment of madness I have agreed to to the London to Brighton bike ride in June. Don't own anything suitable so am going to have to buy a bike. Anyone have anything like a Chris Boardman/Carrera hybrid they are selling

Thanks all

Darren
  • Darren A
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Looking at this one

I know Halfords can be a bit hit and miss!

Anyone got one/have any comments?

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
      Established WTF Member
      • Dec 2012

Are you hoping to keep up with someone? If you are, look at getting a road bike from somewhere like Wiggle. I wouldn't fancy doing that ride on that sort of bike.
      There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
      Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Tunicates
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Spirit of Guernsey
        Are you hoping to keep up with someone? If you are, look at getting a road bike from somewhere like Wiggle. I wouldn't fancy doing that ride on that sort of bike.
        Sorry SoG, I gotta disagree.
        1. Buy from a real shop and not from Wiggle (unless you know what you're doing).
        2. There's nothing wrong with hybrids if that's what you want, plus they're easy to ride. Road bikes with dropped handlebars take a bit more skill and finesse to get anything like a good ride from (especially if you're 14stone and up), and of your not in control of the bike then you are not safe. That bears repeating.

In London I see heaps of new cyclists on road bikes who do t have a freaking clue how to ride a bike. Best to learn some bike skills on something easier to handle. A hybrid is fine.

That carerra will be fine. It's not a huge investment, if you fall in love with cycling you can always trade up later.
        Last edited by Tunicates; 01-03-2014, 11:58 AM. Reason: cos butter fuingers type carp

Comment

• Darren A
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

The guy fro Halfords said my suggested bike above probably wasn't the best for what I wanted due to the small wheel size.

He suggested something called a Voodoo.

My favourite though was the Boardman MX Sport at 499

Going to check out he cycle to work scheme on Monday

Edit: and I have to say, the lad in halfords was fantastic. So enthusiastic, couldn't do enough to help. Got down 5 bikes for me to have a go on, and spent the best part of an hour with me, and he knew I wasn't going to buy anything because he recommended the CTW scheme right at the start, which I said I would have to check out on Monday. Top marks!!
          Last edited by Darren A; 01-03-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Tunicates
            Established TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

Voodoo certainly used to make nice bikes, no idea how they are now, but probably perfectly ok.

THe bike in your link although it calls itself a hybrid is really just a mountainbike. Mountain bikes generally have fat tyres, and either 26" or 29" tyres. You dont want one for any sort of road use.

Hybrid bikes look very much like mountain bikes, but have slightly more skinny and bigger wheels, more like the 29" of the bigger Mtb size. THe benefit is that they'll roll over tarmac more easily, generally weigh a bit less, and be slightly more energy efficient.

The Boardman MX sport is indeed a hybrid. If you really want to fox them, ask them to fit full mudguards.
            You need the mudguards cos you get 10 times as wet from the wheels as you do from the rain.

If they cant fit mudguards to it, ask to see bikes they CAN fit mudguards to. And not the little plastic clip on ones either.

Comment

• Darren A
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tuna-cakes
              THe bike in your link although it calls itself a hybrid is really just a mountainbike. .
              Yep, that was obvious when I saw it 'in the flesh'

Can I just say thanks for taking the time to reply as well
              Last edited by Darren A; 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Tunicates
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

No problem. I know sod all about diving compared to many on here, but cycling I can mostly do with my eyes shut (and I have).
                There's less hard and fast rules with cycling for sure, but it helps to have someone steer you away from the equivalent of suicide clips on your regs, and Northern Diver.

Comment

• drysuitdiver
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2012

TC has the best advice when it comes to bikes. I listened and took heed when I was upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...