Banner Ad

Can I Post Content from the Original Yorkshire Divers Website to Here?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GLOC
    • Dec 2012

Can I Post Content from the Original Yorkshire Divers Website to Here?

YD was a fantastic resource for safety information, dive site reviews and help, trip reports, physiology and physics; this is not unexpected considering that it had been running for a number of years.

The TDF team have been asked whether material originally posted on YD can be posted here. The answer is yes, as long as it is only your work which is copied across.

This means that you cannot copy across:

1. Other's quotes in your posts.
    2. Other's images in your posts.
    3. Indeed any material which is not your own work.

We will no doubt get approached by VerticalScope about ownership of said material (as they now own the content but not the copyright, that is yours) so if you are able to provide a note in your copied material along the lines of "This is my own copyrighted content copied from a thread on Yorkshire Divers and is not other's work" we would be grateful. A pain I know, but when we get requests from VerticalScope, even a simple 'Go away' email, takes time to process and deal with.

Regards
    Gareth

www.imagesoflife.co.uk - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
    www.cognitas.org.uk - Improving Safety by Challenging Current Practices
    www.divingincidents.org - Diving Incident and Safety Management System (DISMS)
    - 2014 Report here

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected than it is to be liked.”
  • Cheeky Monkey
    Cancelled Account
    • Dec 2012

GLOC,

I'm not so sure VS can do anything at all about any of this you know, even if you post someone else's stuff - they are just a non exclusive licensee, not copyright owner

They don't own the content on YD, they just have a right to display it

My best guess is that only the copyright owner could sue - and in reality, thats just not going to happen

I'd be tempted to ignore anything from VS totally ......

Comment

• GLOC
      • Dec 2012

Cheeky, Thanks but I would rather that we didn't have to deal with emails/letters etc from VS at all, hence limiting the reasons why they can contact us. Their T&Cs talk about cross posting other material (which refers to other's material) not your own which is your own copyright.

Regards
      Gareth

www.imagesoflife.co.uk - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
      www.cognitas.org.uk - Improving Safety by Challenging Current Practices
      www.divingincidents.org - Diving Incident and Safety Management System (DISMS)
      - 2014 Report here

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected than it is to be liked.”

Comment

• Darren A
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by GLOC
        Cheeky, Thanks but I would rather that we didn't have to deal with emails/letters etc from VS at all, hence limiting the reasons why they can contact us. Their T&Cs talk about cross posting other material (which refers to other's material) not your own which is your own copyright.

Regards
        Arggghh, double posts!!!!

Comment

• billm
          In charge, according to my wife
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by GLOC

Regards
          Hi Gareth,

Fully understand the issues - regardless of the legal position WRT to copyright, it all takes time to process. I speak from experience of other people copying my (work related) stuff. It's very time consuming.

It is almost certain, and worth looking into that posts made prior to the transfer fall under the T's & C's in force at the time it was posted. Subsequent changes to the T's and C's cannot encompass previous posts made under different T's and C's.

If VS try to sell on video or posts of mine prior to the change, yes, I'll do whatever I can to go all numpty on them.

From your point of view, if you can establish that to be the case, you might save yourself a lot of time and effort dealing with individual requests.

Hth
          Bill

P.S. On a separate note, in the realisation that content is everything when it comes to crawlers/search engines, I have some stuff back from the "Other Days" which garnered lots of response back then. I'm more than happy to post it again on here but don't want to p' you guys off (you've probably got enough on your plate for the moment). I'm thinking for example "When Drills Become Thrills - ILADFT" which created lots of insightful input from lots of fellow divers. Let me know if that sort of thing is okay to post or not.

Comment

• Cheeky Monkey
            Cancelled Account
            • Dec 2012

Wasnt suggesting doing anything untoward, merely that there shouldnt be a need to waste time engaging with VS since unless they are copyright owner, rather than a licensee, they wouldnt seem to have any standing to act whatever is replicated here and by whomever. If thats right then no need to waste any time replying to them more than once.

Comment

Working...