PDA

View Full Version : OSTC vs xDeep Black

Brillo
21-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

I did the Tec 40 course using my instructors OSTC 2n and really liked it, and have seen loads of people recommend it on here too. I just came very clsoe to buying one until...

The new chatter seems to be about the xDeep Black which apparently is so popular it has a 2 month waiting list. It also comes in cheaper by 100 for the full Trimix version, but I can buy the EANx gas-switching version and upgrade the firmware later if/when I go down the helium route.

Grateful for everyone's views.

Cheers,

Anthony

gordon mackie
21-02-2014, 09:21 AM
OSTC - been using them for years, wouldn't use anything else

Ian_6301
21-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Get your hands on the XDeep and have a look (and a play) before you buy.

It is tiny - think 1/4 the size of the OSTC and the long buttons protrude well past the baseplate. During my test dive(s) with one, I found that these then caught on the creases of my drysuit and made it do all sorts of crazy stuff.

I personally didn't like the menu system either, but I strongly suspect that this is something that you'd quite readily get used to if you had one and would get the hang of pretty quick.

I think on balance, I'd probably put the xDeep firmly in the "Marmite" category. Don't just take my whinging at face value and please do get second opinions, but from where I'm sitting, a secondhand OSTC 2n is a much better buy than the xDeep, even if it costs 100 more.

dwhitlow
21-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Get your hands on the XDeep and have a look (and a play) before you buy.

It is tiny - think 1/4 the size of the OSTC and the long buttons protrude well past the baseplate. During my test dive(s) with one, I found that these then caught on the creases of my drysuit and made it do all sorts of crazy stuff.

I personally didn't like the menu system either, but I strongly suspect that this is something that you'd quite readily get used to if you had one and would get the hang of pretty quick.

I think on balance, I'd probably put the xDeep firmly in the "Marmite" category. Don't just take my whinging at face value and please do get second opinions, but from where I'm sitting, a secondhand OSTC 2n is a much better buy than the xDeep, even if it costs 100 more.
I had a play with the xDeep and found the menu annoying and the button pushing reminded of the VR3.

OSTC2n for me.

Frappawotsit
21-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I have no experience of the xdeep so cannot comment on it, but I do dive an OSTC2c which is the newest incarnation, although I believe it's only a different screen to the n version, it even shares the same firmware. I love it, is never skipped a beat, as you have already seen, it has a great display and all info is very clear and easy to access.

I'm sure someone will be along any minute to extol the virtues of the Shearwater Petrel which also has a strong following.

As has been said by others, handle, play and if possible, dive with all those on your short list before you make your decision.

For my money, it's between the OSTC2c and Petrel, and I chose OSTC2c, I've been happy with my choice and would make the same choice again now too.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Irnbru
21-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Brett from Divelife showed me one at the Jarrod Jablonski Mars talk a few weeks back (maybe it was months) - impressions were it was compact, easy to mount on the forearm, very light (felt a bit "plasticy" if I'm honest).

Very nice clear display and good sized buttons. Nice feature was that if you were buddy diving you could tilt your arm and the display would change so that your buddy could read it.

My Suunto is getting a bit hard to read (digits are getting smaller I'm sure) so would maybe get one if was buying new.

Nice feature is that you can upgrade the software from bottom timer, to nitrox to trimix as you progress (if you wanted to) not sure on the algorithms used or how good it is after a few hundred dives (too early to tell just now).

Capt Morgan
21-02-2014, 09:57 AM
A used OSTC 2n is for sale here (http://forum.technicaldiving.ie/index.php/topic,4719.0.html)
It's not me but a guy I know.

jb2cool
21-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Is the computer version of the xDeep even out yet? so far i've only seen the bottom timer version.

dwhitlow
21-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Is the computer version of the xDeep even out yet? so far i've only seen the bottom timer version.
I believe they are now selling them, although I gather it only does OC trimix and not CCR.

Rob Dobson
21-02-2014, 12:02 PM
The difference in viewing angle between an optically bonded (OSTC, dr5, frog, Liquivision) and non-bonded (xDeep, Shearwater) is very noticeable especially on CCR where the loop has an impact on your head position.

Non-bonded screens suffer from refraction when viewed from an angle which turns them into a mirror like surface. Useful for seeing who is above you on the shotline but bugger all use for reading dive information.

MikeF
21-02-2014, 12:13 PM
the mirror effect is only at extreme viewing angles. in practice I have never had any issue with rotating my arm a few degrees to see the numbers.

either Shearwater or OSTC are fine but I prefer the shearwater. Asking peoples preference is a bit like asking shoud I buy a rear wheel drive 5 series beemer or a front wheel drive audi A6? subtly different but they both cruise down the motorway quite happily

Andy_HFC
21-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Id go for OSTC. The buttons are better and the viewing angle is superior. It's a more solid feeling unit in the hand too.

The xdeep is fantastic value for money as an oled bottom timer, but I wouldn't put the money down on it as a trimix computer.

I've an xdeep and I think it's great, but a mate of mine sold his after only 4 dives, as the buttons kept pressing on folds on his drysuit; drove him mental.

Hth

dixi
21-02-2014, 01:40 PM
i picked up a 2n for €400 delivered from a guy on RBW, I think he might have had 2 for sale, if you are interested i can PM you his name.
i had been looking at the Xdeep but felt the second hand ostc was a better buy as its a proven unit and honestly not too sure how the software upgrades of the xdeep will work in practice as its buying from dealers rather than downloading from the manufacturer, so i see a potential returning the unit to be upgraded scenario, but could be totally wrong on this

jb2cool
21-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I managed to bag an OSTC mk2 (Not 2n or 2c) for 300 second hand.

I was considering the OSTC 2c, xDeep Black BT (Computer version wasn't out then but i was looking at the bototm timer with the view to upgrade it to the nitrox computer later) and the Shearwater Petrel. I wasn't too sure of the xDeep as it was really a bit new and unproven (Especially the computer part of it) at the time so was mainly looking at the OSTC 2c and the SW Petrel. I was leaning slightly towards the Petrel as i heard the menu was layed out better and it was easier to use (apparently quite little in it). Once this cheap mk2 came up i jumped on it as i couldn't really afford the big bucks.

Having got my OSTC i don't see what the fuss was about with the menus, they seem fairly straight forward to me. The one thing i don't like so far is the memory, it might not be able to store all of my next holiday without a download halfway through but that's a fairly minimal thing.

AxeMan
21-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Having got my OSTC i don't see what the fuss was about with the menus, they seem fairly straight forward to me.
I think the thing about the menus of the OSTC is that, if you just pick one up and have a play with it, there are loads and loads of options. However, I think I've changed about 3 of them from the default, and having done that, I never need to touch them again. All I do is change the gas mixes, which is trivial.

Brillo
21-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I think that's confirmed I should stick with what I know and like, and go for the OSTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nigel hewitt
21-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Is there anybody else out there rolling their own OSTC2?

I've been fooling about trying to program a system I like for years and having a lot of fun doing it but I wonder at times if I am alone...

I think I've had five 'finished versions' so far.

jb2cool
21-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Nigel,
Are you using OSTC hardware and writing your own firmware?

nigel hewitt
21-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Yup
I decided I don't like dive computer interfaces so I decided to play until I got something I do like.
The system just cycles pages until you get to the one you want. I prefer it to menus.

http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/stuff/ostc005.jpg

Rob Dobson
21-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Nigel, I'm pretty sure you're not alone in writing your own code as I am aware of 2 or 3 others, however you are definitely part of a tiny minority!

Looking very nice BTW!

Smiler
23-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Yup
I decided I don't like dive computer interfaces so I decided to play until I got something I do like.
The system just cycles pages until you get to the one you want. I prefer it to menus.

http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/stuff/ostc005.jpg

Nice to see it's the right way up now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk