PDA

View Full Version : HUD or BOV for a classic

j_b
10-02-2014, 09:41 PM
What would you add to an inspo classic first, a HUD or a BOV?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

notdeadyet
10-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Non-Inspo specific but I've never had a situation where I've thought the HUD saved me but quite a few where the BOV did. To me, a HUD is a convenience. I don't know if I'd call a BOV an essential but it's good enough.

MikeF
10-02-2014, 10:00 PM
see. it's started already. by the time you add a BOV and a HUD you may as well have bought a vision.

HUD's a nice to have but I end up ignoring it, BOV saved my bacon.

instead of a HUD look at this http://www.ccrexplorers.com/showthread.php?t=16772&highlight=shearwater and get a 3 cell backup kit

or this http://www.rebreatherworld.com/rebreather-accessories-and-dive-equipment-sale/47793-shearwater-pursuit-solenoid-controller-from-revo-2.html

Deano7104
10-02-2014, 10:03 PM
BOV.... i've got both on my unit, and if you reversed the question and said which one would you do away with if you had to, it would be the HUD. Be happier diving without the HUD than the BOV.

j_b
10-02-2014, 10:18 PM
All pretty much what I guessed... I don't have a problem (so far) checking the handsets, but I'm new enough to be paranoid/super vigilant so I'll start saving my pennies for bov then :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Chase
11-02-2014, 07:53 AM
My HUD has saved my life at least four times already.

three high PP02 events over 3.00pp02 at 70m and one low PP02 event (total handset failure both hand sets Inspo Classic)

Come to think of it there have been others as well. I recently suffered two solinoid failures on my JJ which I was alerted to by my HUD

Never neaded the BOV yet in 10 years, but glad I have it just in case

Defo the HUD

You might try to convince your self you look at the handsets often enough, but IMHO after the novelty has worn off, you wont

ATB

Mark

nigel hewitt
11-02-2014, 08:04 AM
BOV. That is about life expectancy.

I have yet to see the use of disco lights unless you're one of those people who shouldn't be diving a rebreather because you don't check the handset regularly.

Paul r s
11-02-2014, 08:11 AM
My HUD has saved my life at least four times already.

three high PP02 events over 3.00pp02 at 70m and one low PP02 event (total handset failure both hand sets Inspo Classic)

But wouldn't the buzzer of gone off and drawn your attention to a problem and to check handset for a high or low ppo2 ?

For me on my classic I had a shearwater plumbed in to show my cells along with deco obligations and an AP bov. I found once at depth I'd monitor my ppo2 every couple of minutes.

colinicky
11-02-2014, 08:27 AM
John
You know where a bov is sitting ! Also I may know of a HUD going really really cheap :)
Talk to me next week when I am home

jturner
11-02-2014, 08:29 AM
I think I'd just do them both as equal first! Failing that, BOV 1st and make sure it comes free with a strong dose of handset reading paranoia! For me, high PPO2 and handset screw-ups can be easily mitigated by monitoring (not as good as a HUD but something); needing to bailout quickly in the event of a CO2 hit without a BOV is a little more difficult I imagine.

dwhitlow
11-02-2014, 08:30 AM

A HUD with Vision electronics connected as that also gets you a redundant dive computer and a tempstick :)

You can add the BOV later :D

j_b
11-02-2014, 08:33 AM
John
You know where a bov is sitting ! Also I may know of a HUD going really really cheap :)
Talk to me next week when I am home

I may just have to do that mate ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

gobfish1
11-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Bov,s in the hud,:wait:

id go for something usefull , like a Shearwater on 3 cells, :rofl:

Rob Dobson
11-02-2014, 08:57 AM

If the ADV was decent it'd be more of a consideration but IIRC the ADVs on inspo's aren't the best.

Also just a slave HUD or a redundant completely independent HUD feeding 3 cell reading to another wrist display performing online deco...?

With a poor ADV I'd go BOV but with a Powerful ADV there is an argument that says you don't need a BOV and redundant cell reading which can potentially keep you on the loop is a better investment.

Mark Chase
11-02-2014, 09:06 AM
But wouldn't the buzzer of gone off and drawn your attention to a problem and to check handset for a high or low ppo2 ?

For me on my classic I had a shearwater plumbed in to show my cells along with deco obligations and an AP bov. I found once at depth I'd monitor my ppo2 every couple of minutes.

I have suffered several potentialy life threatening hand set failures on an Inspo classic and on none of them did the buzzer work

Most common is the one handset dead and the other saying slave waiting for data

I also had one incident where both handsets shut down on their own

ATB

Mark

Mark Chase
11-02-2014, 09:08 AM
BOV. That is about life expectancy.

I have yet to see the use of disco lights unless you're one of those people who shouldn't be diving a rebreather because you don't check the handset regularly.

Me: Soooooo what did you see on the dive then?

You: 1.3

I dont beleive anyoine with a hand set only system checks their hand sets enough once they have become used to their CCR

And you dive a Vision which has a HUD does it not?

ATB

Mark

humpbackdiving
11-02-2014, 09:23 AM
HUD

no regular handset checking can be as quick as noticing red light in the corner of your eye!

unless you dive staring at the handsets

nigel hewitt
11-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Me: Soooooo what did you see on the dive then?
You: 1.3
Probably yes. Looking at my head cam the wrist rolls into sight better than once a minute.
I don't remember doing it I just know the ppO2.

I dont beleive anyoine with a hand set only system checks their hand sets enough once they have become used to their CCR
You're trouble is you don't have enough paranoia. This is rebreather 101. Forget it and Darwin is on your case.

And you dive a Vision which has a HUD does it not?
Sentinel. The Vision's on order.
The Sentinel HUD swung in once as I was doing a mask remove and replace and stopped the mask going back sealed. That got me CBLed and listed in the years BSAC incidents. Stupidly easy to fix if you know what it is but the mask felt like something was blocking it on the other side and I was, naturally, working blind.
Not quite so keen on HUDs after that.
Plus I never managed to memorise all the things encoded in the five lights. Too clever for me I'm afraid.

notdeadyet
11-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Know your ppo2. It's basic rebreather diving. I'd far rather have a decent independant secondary than a hud and I'd probably choose that over a BOV. Choice between hud and bov is a choice between a cushion or a safety belt. My choice would be secondary > bov > something else. I have a hud because the setup didnt come without one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Paul Evans
11-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Good Grief........ HUD!!! BOV!!!! buy a NERD :rofl:

Bov and check your handsets........ Then a hud later.

bottle maker
11-02-2014, 12:12 PM
My mate had a hud and a bov when his solenoid stuck open the hud confirmed he had a problem but as it was the fast bale out that possibly probably saved him. The one thing that scares the shit out of me is hypercapnia a hud won't help there. For me a bov before a hud.

Graham

jturner
11-02-2014, 01:35 PM
My mate had a hud and a bov when his solenoid stuck open the hud confirmed he had a problem but as it was the fast bale out that possibly probably saved him. The one thing that scares the shot out of me is hypercapnia a bid won't help there. For me a Nov before a hud

Gotta love automatic spelling correction!!! :p

bottle maker
11-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Gotta love automatic spelling correction!!! :p

bloody kindle

Foggy
11-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Maybe its just me but when I saw the OP I thought ...silly sod, the first thing you should add to a classic inspo is lime..:):)