PDA

View Full Version : Scallop divers wanted

Millssy
28-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

There is soon to be space available on a well established scalloping boat operating on the west coast of Scotland, please message me if you would like more information.

Experience in scalloping isn't necessary as you will get the wing of it quite quickly but you do require your own kit and to be a minimum certification of dive master with an in-date HSE medical.

Millssy
20-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Just had a phone call from the people in Skye they are soon to have another space on there boat.

I am no longer up there but i can highly recommend the work.

if your interested contact Madeleine McLeish on 01599 566248 / 07717 871633

Millssy
28-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Still looking if theres any budding scallop divers out there!

Paul H
28-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Out of interest (I don't have HSE Scuba), what sort of financial incentive is there in this sort of work?

Could I give up the office and still pay the mortgage?

shotgunuk
21-11-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm guessing this was a red herring of some kind since noone has answered in the forum or pm. Is it a scam?

David
21-11-2014, 10:34 PM
did you phone them ?

GLOC
22-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Millsy is a good lad so I very much doubt it's a scam. Whether it is the work you'd want to do is a different matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTS
22-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing this was a red herring of some kind since noone has answered in the forum or pm. Is it a scam?

How would this work as a scam?

As Gloc says, he is a good lad.....

Nickpicks
23-11-2014, 09:07 AM

How would anyone (apart from a few select moderators, maybe) know that no one has answered by pm?

drysuitdiver
23-11-2014, 09:13 AM
How would anyone (apart from a few select moderators, maybe) know that no one has answered by pm?

i think shotgunuk means nobody has replied to his PM

anvill72
24-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Neither of their PMs has been answered. ;)

Millssy
25-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

Sorry i havent replied but i havent been on here for a while!

all the PMs have now been replied too.

Im no longer working up in Skye but there are a couple of companys looking for razor divers and scallop divers, most of them put adds up here http://www.findafishingboat.com/fishing-marine-jobs-crew-wanted

It was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding jobs i have done an i highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in it.

Thanks to Gloc and BTS for putting in a good word for me :)

BTS
25-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks to Gloc and BTS for putting in a good word for me :)

Balls, I thought it was the other Millssy, the nice one... had I known it was you.... ;)

Millssy
22-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

Instead of starting a new post i thought i would just re-ignite this one.

I am now after scallops divers for my own boat, were based down in Salcombe, Devon.

Part time is all good if you only want to fit it in as and when you can do. a lot of my guys just use it to top up there income from other jobs.

You need a CMAS 3* or equivilant quilification so HSE pro scuba, PADI Divemaster, any GUE cert etc

PM me or email me workwanted@divermills.co.uk

We only supply the cylinders so you will need to have the rest of the kit.

bhofmann
23-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Does anyone free dive for Scallops? Boat or shore?

Sorry, I have zero experience in UK waters. Plenty on top (canoe, kayak, beach rescue), but nothing in it.

Spirit of Guernsey
23-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Sorry, I have zero experience in UK waters. Plenty on top (canoe, kayak, beach rescue), but nothing in it.

A fair bit over here.

Millssy
23-03-2018, 04:36 PM

in my free time i do abit of freedivign and spearfishing, scallops are normally collected if there on the ground!

Spirit of Guernsey
23-03-2018, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2THWQKFoo

BcDiver
24-03-2018, 07:40 PM
What depth are you free diving to in the video?

Spirit of Guernsey
24-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Around 10m

Jay_Benson
06-04-2018, 12:31 PM
How much do the hand caught scallops go for compared to dredged ones? Obviously there is little if any damage caused by hand collecting them as opposed to the scorched earth effect of dredging - is there a decent market for hand caught that is prepared to pay the premium?.

Millssy
10-04-2018, 09:54 AM
I can buy dredged scallops from the market starting at about 17p each, our dived ones go for a lot more than that!

With the way attitudes are changing towards food and the supply chain involved with it people are slowly coming around to the ideas of sustainability and environmentally friendly catching methods. It’s still a very long road to travel down especially when you have people like the MSC certifying dredged fisheries as ethical and sustainable but it will sort itself out with time.

I did write a short article that i put on linked in about sustainability if you fancy a read https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-does-sustainability-mean-you-peter-mills/