PDA

View Full Version : Heinrichs Weikamp Frog. Why always overlooked?

jb2cool
20-01-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm potentially in the market for a new computer. I currently use a Suunto Zoop and it's fine for recreational diving but I'm starting to go down the tech route and need a computer that can support multiple gasses (no plans for trimix yet but could be a good idea to plan ahead). I currently like the look of the OSTC and the Shearwater Petrel (perhaps the xdeep black in computer form but that is not out yet and unproven) but what about the Heinricks Weikanp Frog? This has the standard ZHL-16/GF algorithm and seems like a nice computer but you never hear anything about them.

I like the look-ahead deco that it has where you can see your total time to surface and also see which stops at which depths you have lined up (not seen that on either the OSTC or the Petrel). I figured this could be a way to have pretty much an OSTC/Petrel but without the trimix to save some money (or am I kidding myself?).

Thoughts?

http://lbardass.free.fr/images/plongee/OSTC/Frog/heinrichsweikamp_frog_3.jpg

Defiance Charters
20-01-2014, 09:46 PM
It is a good piece of kit

Davwardo
20-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I think they have stopped selling them?

Davwardo
20-01-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.thediveforum.com/showthread.php?7875-New-trimix-ready-computer-for-less-than-%A3500&p=109814&viewfull=1#post109814

See post from Rob. However, also saw them for sale at scimitar diving in Portland last weekend. I have one and they are very nice. However, for the money I would get the OSTC ( which I also have ).

Rob Dobson
20-01-2014, 10:20 PM
However, also saw them for sale at scimitar diving in Portland last weekend. I have one and they are very nice. However, for the money I would get the OSTC ( which I also have ).

Scimitar had a frog for sale last weekend??? Interesting as HeinrichsWeikamp haven't had any for about a year...

As I understand it the frog was stopped because it took the same amount of time and effort to build a frog as it did an OSTC. HeinrichsWeikamp only have a limited space inside their ovens so it was uneconomic to be dedicating oven time to the frogs when they should have been building OSTCs.

Both the OSTCs and the Shearwaters support future TTS as standard.

Gareth Jones
20-01-2014, 10:23 PM
The trouble with future proofing is that you can become out of date. It's not so long ago that all you heard about was the latest VR3, don't hear much about them now. (yes I know they are still around :) )

Rob Dobson
20-01-2014, 10:29 PM
The trouble with future proofing is that you can become out of date. It's not so long ago that all you heard about was the latest VR3, don't hear much about them now. (yes I know they are still around :) )

Future TTS is a feature for working out your deco obligation on a dive and nothing to do with being 'the last dive computer you'll ever need'. It's not a marketing spin it's an established and recognised function within dive computers.

Paulo
21-01-2014, 06:22 AM
The VR3 is the last comluter you will ever NEED. It may not be the last one you ever WANT :D

jb2cool
21-01-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm not talking about predictive deco (how much deco would I have to do if I stayed her another 5 minutes), I'm asking about the stops shown on the picture where you can see how long at each depth you need to stop all on 1 screen. Not sure if I'd really use it as you can probably guess from the total time to surface and the deepest stop but seems like a good idea.

Alby R
21-01-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm not talking about predictive deco (how much deco would I have to do if I stayed her another 5 minutes), I'm asking about the stops shown on the picture where you can see how long at each depth you need to stop all on 1 screen. Not sure if I'd really use it as you can probably guess from the total time to surface and the deepest stop but seems like a good idea.

you just go to the nxt screen and it gives you a list of stops i think this is a function on most modern computers it is even a function on the vr3 it saves cluttering up the front screen

alby

Hawk13
21-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Does it come in black ;)

Rob Dobson
21-01-2014, 08:13 AM

The OSTCs show you your next 5 (?) stops as a list in the top right hand corner.

I'm sure the Shearwaters do it too I just can't remember how it's presented as I haven't used mine in an age.

jb2cool
21-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Ok great. It's a non-issue then. I just hadn't seen this on any pictures i had seen. This puts me back on track for OSTC/Petrel then

AxeMan
21-01-2014, 09:04 AM
The OSTCs show you your next 5 (?) stops as a list in the top right hand corner.

In dive mode? Mine only shows the deepest depth and the TTS.

Spirit of Guernsey
21-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Mine shows the list of stops, maybe a setting needs changing, AxeMan, or maybe an update.

Davwardo
21-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Scimitar had a frog for sale last weekend??? Interesting as HeinrichsWeikamp haven't had any for about a year...

As I understand it the frog was stopped because it took the same amount of time and effort to build a frog as it did an OSTC. HeinrichsWeikamp only have a limited space inside their ovens so it was uneconomic to be dedicating oven time to the frogs when they should have been building OSTCs.

Well, they had one in a display cabinet at least!