PDA

View Full Version : Which BOV

Doomanic
30-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I am about to take the plunge into CCR diving with the purchase of (most likely) an Inspo Classic. I have decided I want a BOV. As I have yet to see one come up for sale with a BOV included I have added one to my budget but I'm undecided which one to go for. As far as I am aware, my choices are the AP BOV (CE approved) or the Golem Shrimp (not CE approved). I'd be interested in hearing from people with either, or even better, both.
In addition, what are the implications of buying/using a non-CE BOV?

nickb
30-12-2013, 03:48 PM
You can often pick-up a second-hand AP BOV for sensible money. The Shrimp is orders of magnitude better but you'll struggle to find one second-hand and new ones cost big bucks.

swampy
30-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's better about the shrimp? I've got neither on my inspo but may well get one sometime soon (not that fussed about the cost difference)

nickb
30-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's better about the shrimp?Genuine one-handed operation and way better WOB in OC mode as it's essentially an Apeks second stage. Probably the best BOV on the market currently.

Big though!

Paul r s
30-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Dom don't worry about a bov right now. Concentrate on buying a solid unit 1st.
You won't taught to bail out on to your bov, it'll be to an off board reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

humpbackdiving
30-12-2013, 04:04 PM
I have just bought a brand new shrimp for gbp450 delivered (included postage, a set of o-rings and inspo bayonets). I understand the chap has a few left in stock!

should any of you be interested pm me your email address and will introduce you.

* the small print!- i do not know the chap personally, i paid the money across and got my GG shrimp within two weeks. it actually landed on my doorstep on 24th December, i am not associated with Jakub.

humpbackdiving
30-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Genuine one-handed operation and way better WOB in OC mode as it's essentially an Apeks second stage. Probably the best BOV on the market currently.

Big though!

tried so far and it is smoooooth! although i feel I have to bite the mouth piece properly for a one hand jobbie (pun intended)

swampy
30-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm rather tempted, can you put a cut off valve on it for freeflows? presumably you can as it's a standard hose?

nickb
30-12-2013, 04:22 PM
You won't taught to bail out on to your bov, it'll be to an off board reg.Really? I had to do lots of both on my JJ MOD1 course.

Paul r s
30-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Really? I had to do lots of both on my JJ MOD1 course.

I guess instructors differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

daviesjez
30-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Really? I had to do lots of both on my JJ MOD1 course.

As did we on our MOD 1's...

Jez

Major Clanger
30-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Bov drills on mod 1 come down to the instructor. Rich Stevenson and Dennis Vessey were my two instructors and neither liked to teach using them. I'd rather they had but it's not a show stopper. My bov is excellent. It's not a shrimp but an isc original based on an apeks 50 second stage. Apeks is the link between the better bov's.

steve6690
30-12-2013, 09:03 PM
I have just bought a brand new shrimp for gbp450 delivered (included postage, a set of o-rings and inspo bayonets). I understand the chap has a few left in stock!

should any of you be interested pm me your email address and will introduce you.

* the small print!- i do not know the chap personally, i paid the money across and got my GG shrimp within two weeks. it actually landed on my doorstep on 24th December, i am not associated with Jakub.

I'm looking for one but that's very cheap indeed. From GG they're 500 quid plus tax and import duty hence I was going to get the ap one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

swampy
30-12-2013, 09:05 PM
The ap one is bloody pricey too; 650 I think unless you can get a second hand one

Sent from my iPhone by swearing at Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) until it did nothing like what I wanted

dwhitlow
30-12-2013, 09:13 PM
The ap one is bloody pricey too; 650 I think unless you can get a second hand one

if you want the AP one just watch the forums and ebay and one will appear. I got mine for around 400 and it included GCS (which I don't use)

steve6690
30-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Sent from my iPhone by swearing at Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) until it did nothing like what I wanted

Cheapest I've found is 535 in the UK. Ccrspares.co.uk

swampy
30-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Still not sure I want one to be honest, only reason I can think of is for a buddy to be able to bail me out if I can't do it

humpbackdiving
30-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Cheapest I've found is 535 in the UK. Ccrspares.co.uk

Can't beat gbp425 -450 (subject to fx) for according some the best bov out there

swampy
30-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Plus it will fit a draeger ffm :-)

steve6690
30-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Can't beat gbp425 -450 (subject to fx) for according some the best bov out there

Tempted. In fact, for that money I'll have one.

dwhitlow
30-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Still not sure I want one to be honest, only reason I can think of is for a buddy to be able to bail me out if I can't do it

Mine is connected to my dil and I just view it as something to breathe whilst I get the stage reg sorted.

I dived using the standard AP mouthpiece for the first 18 months or more and it was no problem on the two occasions it was needed.

At 15 a worthwhile addition is the AP mouthpiece headstrap as it removes the need to bite the mouthpiece as it is just held in place.

swampy
30-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Yeah, was looking at those the other day, 90 mins and I can feel it in my jaw

MikeF
30-12-2013, 09:58 PM
I use an oceanic shadow neoprene mask strap and a couple of big O rings to attach it to the loop. It's an idea I shamelessly stole from garspeed and which I find works better than the AP retaining strap. once adjusted it just fits and you don't have little waggly silicon butterfly wings flapping about behind your head.

as just said it takes away jaw ache as you can completely let go of the mouthpiece with your teeth and it just stays in place

humpbackdiving
30-12-2013, 10:07 PM
The draeger mouth piece is the one I want but not at the ransom they want for it. I for the time being use the apd one. It is bloody flimsy but does the job. Mike's and Garspeed's version works probably better as is more robust. But the silicone flappy thingies are not that noticeable if I am honest!!!!!!

BTS
31-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Another vote for the shrimp, a feature that hasn't been mentioned is the downward pointing purge, I guess designed as a safeguard when in high flows or scootering to prevent accidental purging.

For ease of use and cleaning it beats the AP hands down, also the bayonet connectors are inspired...

Handy hint... The rubber purge cover on mine popped off mid travel from home to car and was never seen again, you can get replacements but they are not cheap... when I got the second one I put a thin smear of aquasure around the lip on the BOV the cover sits on... It is still there, this doesn't prevent removal of the purge as the main plastic body the rubber cover sits on unscrews...

SoggyBottoms
31-12-2013, 10:20 AM
the Shrimp works really well when undertaking scooter lunacy. I endorse you spending 3.5k to check this for yourself.
cuda400 is the recommended weapon of choice

Capt Morgan
31-12-2013, 11:23 AM
The draeger mouth piece is the one I want but not at the ransom they want for it. I for the time being use the apd one. It is bloody flimsy but does the job. Mike's and Garspeed's version works probably better as is more robust. But the silicone flappy thingies are not that noticeable if I am honest!!!!!!

The Drager is expensive but does a very good job, best price I could find was from Tecme.

rongoodman
31-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I added the Prism 2 BOV this month and have been pleased with it, although it's a little stiff yet switching positions. I have it attached to my bailout bottle with a QD fitting.

nigel hewitt
31-12-2013, 07:06 PM
I had a Bob Howell on my Classic, that was bulky but very good although I doubt you'll see one now. I didn't much get on with the Peosidon thing on the Sentinel but I've order the full works on the new Inspo. It looked pretty one handed to me. Yes I know it's expensive, AP are expensive.

swampy
31-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Did you have a BOV when you had your CO2 Hit Nigel?

nigel hewitt
31-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Did you have a BOV when you had your CO2 Hit Nigel?
Heck no. However once I worked out what was going on I realised that I had an ADV and started exhaling through my nose. That virtually blew my mask off because I could control 'where' but not 'how much' but when I felt I could pause the the bailout went in my mouth during an extended exhale blind. I wish I could remember how long it took. The memory says 'forever' but it can't have been breathing like that from a 3L at about 18m. I'd guess 30 seconds. Sadly I didn't record the gas either.

I reseated my mask and cleared it, closed the loop off and then looked at my son and realised he had hold of me. He was about to CBL me. I signalled <up><OK?>. He signalled <OK> but didn't let go.
Funnily he has never shown any interest in rebreathers.

I ordered the Bob BOV within a few days. I view it now as a pretty essential piece of CCR diving kit. A CO2 hit is scary because something you normally drive has gone out of control but you are still fully aware of what is going on. Bailout seemed such an easy idea until the one time I needed it.

swampy
31-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks Nigel, I think you've convinced me :)

steve6690
17-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Tempted. In fact, for that money I'll have one.

GG Shrimp arrived today. It really is a fine piece of workmanship. The AP hud holder and gag strap work really well with it too. Pleased I got one, just need to go out dive it now.

edward
17-01-2014, 03:26 PM
God knows what make it was but having seen a CO2 hit happening to a buddy (I was sensibly on OC!) the BOV with the big switch on the front was very re-assuring - I could see it was vertical (OC) and bubbles comming out.

Feel free to discount my opinion (I am not a rebreather diver) but having seen that relatively 'mild' hit and knowing it got close to 50+ lpm, if i were to buy a 'breather, I would want one with a BOV connected to a decent gas source. YMMV :)

humpbackdiving
17-01-2014, 03:47 PM
GG Shrimp arrived today. It really is a fine piece of workmanship. The AP hud holder and gag strap work really well with it too. Pleased I got one, just need to go out dive it now.

I knew you'd be happy...especially at that price :-)

I used mine last week and it was very lovely.

I did get a spare APD mouthpiece as I find the Apeks one a bit too small or i got used to the apd one.

steve6690
17-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I knew you'd be happy...especially at that price :-)

I used mine last week and it was very lovely.

I did get a spare APD mouthpiece as I find the Apeks one a bit too small or i got used to the apd one.

I might give both a try. I've got a spare AP one in my bag. The Apeks one is definitely smaller