PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain batteries to me?

Annie
28-12-2013, 09:18 PM
OK, can someone explain batteries to me?

Iím thinking mostly about Lithium CRP2 batteries, but I guess this applies to all batteries.

When I get my head back from its annual TLC at AP, it always comes with two new Energiser batteries fitted. Energiser batteries are recommended in the AP Manual.

Over the years, Iíve used other brands of Lithium CRP2 Batteries, but none seem to last as long as the Energiser ones. Why is this? Looking through my logbook, my last set of Energiser batteries lasted 24 dives, whereas the Sony Lithium CRP2 battery I put in a few weeks ago struggled to do two dives.

In my simple mind, they are the same battery, just with a different manufacturerís name on, but obviously this is not the case.

So, whatís the difference?

Annie xx

swampy
28-12-2013, 09:32 PM
What what the mili amp hour rating on the Sony ones? I've never checked if there is one on the CRP2 but it basically how much energy is in the battery from new so a lower value will last a shorter time.

edit, I should point out that this isn't a hard and fast measure...

BTS
28-12-2013, 09:40 PM
i just put in whatever I managed to buy in bulk on ebay... when the backlights start to fade I swap them out, at an average of a quid a battery I am happy to bin them as and when....

Major Clanger
28-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Can't say wrt to what you're using it in but in my unit the energizers have a slower rate of decay therefore the loss of functions is staggered, giving time even for idiots to swap out between dives.

nigel hewitt
29-12-2013, 09:49 AM
OK. You want to know why one brand is preferred?
A photographer, their prime target market, wants batteries that give full power until they die. Click-click, new battery, carry on.
We want a more progressive fade so the electronics can read the volts when we switch on and say 'good for several hours' so safe to dive.

If you can come up with a way to change the batteries under water you can use any old junk.