PDA

View Full Version : Hollis Exploere Try Dive at Vobster Quay Today

Chris Ringrose
08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Had great fun try diving the Explorer today at Vobster. Excellent introduction and background. The unit's a piece of cake to dive too. Here's the mandatory video!

Hollis Explorer Rebreather Try Dive - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jEG5QneaI&feature=youtu.be)

Enjoy!

Chris

BTS
08-12-2013, 08:50 PM
What makes it different/better than any of the other available options?

Major Clanger
08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
What makes it different/better than any of the other available options?

It looks cool like something from Star Wars and so will appeal to a younger generation. I read this in a diver magazine while sat in trap 1, which seemed an apt place to read about it :think:

BTS
08-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I just had a quick read... It just recirculates a pre defined nitrox mix... A very expensive way of doing what a twinset does...

Looks cool though...

swampy
08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I just had a quick read... It just recirculates a pre defined nitrox mix... A very expensive way of doing what a twinset does...

Looks cool though...

Does it do any better than the old Draeger did? I looked at one a long time ago and couldn't see the point at all. Rebreathers are a pain in the arse over open circuit and on SCR I've just never thought it was worth it

Chris Ringrose
08-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Looks cool though...

Yeah, I tend to agree. It's an argument which has been rumbling on for years. Personally I was intrigued to see what innovations it has. Some very nice and simple features like it blocks the loop if you forget to fit a scrubber...

Beaker
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I tend to agree. It's an argument which has been rumbling on for years. Personally I was intrigued to see what innovations it has. Some very nice and simple features like it blocks the loop if you forget to fit a scrubber...

Should someone that forgets to fit a scrubber be diving a rebreather, doesn't that kind of 'feature' make people lazy in their pre-dive checks?
I've dived a Poseidon a couple of times, is missing the scrubber a common/easy thing to forget?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

swampy
08-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Should someone that forgets to fit a scrubber be diving a rebreather, doesn't that kind of 'feature' make people lazy in their pre-dive checks?
I've dived a Poseidon a couple of times, is missing the scrubber a common/easy thing to forget?

It's a pre-pack on the Hollis so it's a 10 second job - I think you could forget to do that.... with an inspo and other manual pack boxes it's a big part of setting it up and only a complete ****ing donut could forget it (spacer o-ring is another matter)

Major Clanger
08-12-2013, 09:39 PM

It's happened, among the seniorista's as well...:x:

Barrygoss
08-12-2013, 09:41 PM

Should people who can forget to fit a scrubber be allowed to dive rebreathers?
I'd say yes and the problem will go away in a year or so.

B

And its an SCR, all the dangers of CCR with the benefits of OC

As an edit, I just checked, its 3995 new plus training @ 450....
so thats a s/h vision and training vs.....

Hickdive
08-12-2013, 09:49 PM
So it has sensors and electronics to go wrong but without the ability to maintain a constant ppO2 as that is fixed by the nitrox blend in the single cylinder?

Seems an expensive way to gain very little.

swampy
08-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Typically SCR can't maintain constant PP02, they roughly maintain a constant F02.

Chris Ringrose
08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Typically SCR can't maintain constant PP02, they roughly maintain a constant F02.

It's an odd bit of kit. It does maintain a constant ppo2. But it does it with nitrox not O2. This means it injects all the time and vents excess loop volume...

swampy
08-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Not like a CCR setpoint though. It'll get quite limited in what it can maintain when you're shallow (32% would be a nominal setpoint of .64 no matter how much you shove in at 10 meters)

Ruffy
08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
The Hollis Explorer is a true recreational Rebreather. The unit is neither a fully closed circuit Rebreather nor a pure semi-closed system, but an intelligent hybrid that utilizes the best of both worlds. Its compact, lightweight and extremely easy to use. The Explorer is unique in using a single gas; Nitrox, and is electronically controlled to achieve an optimal balance of PPO2 and dive time. Plug and Play absorbent cartridges, easy guided setup with go or no go, CO2 tracking, and 2 hour design duration make this a dream for any recreational diver. The Explorer diver will benefit from breathing warm gas, have lots of bottom time, and since it does not produce any invasive bubbles, see more sea life than ever before.

swampy
08-12-2013, 10:05 PM
The Hollis Explorer is a true recreational Rebreather. The unit is neither a fully closed circuit Rebreather nor a pure semi-closed system, but an intelligent hybrid that utilizes the best of both worlds. Its compact, lightweight and extremely easy to use. The Explorer is unique in using a single gas; Nitrox, and is electronically controlled to achieve an optimal balance of PPO2 and dive time. Plug and Play absorbent cartridges, easy guided setup with go or no go, CO2 tracking, and 2 hour design duration make this a dream for any recreational diver. The Explorer diver will benefit from breathing warm gas, have lots of bottom time, and since it does not produce any invasive bubbles, see more sea life than ever before.

Looks a lot llke the text here (http://hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=143) ;)

Ruffy
08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Looks a lot llke the text here (http://hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=143) ;)

Post says from the Hollis site in bold;)

swampy
08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Didn't see that bit

<fetches coat>

:)

Chris Ringrose
08-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Not like a CCR setpoint though. It'll get quite limited in what it can maintain when you're shallow (32% would be a nominal setpoint of .64 no matter how much you shove in at 10 meters)

Yes, if I understood the brief correctly that's pretty much it. Holds a set point a depth and then automagically backs it off as you start to ascend so as not to dump all of your gas...

Hickdive
08-12-2013, 10:17 PM
So not a lot of gain for a significant amount spent on hardware, training and scrubber/maintenance costs.

A hybrid with all the electronic gee whizzery of an eCCR to go phut but with the depth/deco limitations of SCR.

They'll sell a few to schools offering PADI Recreational Rebreather courses but thats about it.

swampy
08-12-2013, 10:22 PM
It'll go the way of the dolphin soon enough... Might be hit with photographers I suppose

graham_hk
08-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Never worked for Drager ... just can't see there being a sustainable market for what it can actually do. More hassle, more expense and very marginal benefit especially at 3x price of a used classic and 80% cost of a real rebreather.

Hot Totty
09-12-2013, 06:52 AM
I'd see it working quite well in the rental market at foreign holiday locations - but other than that, :mm:

BTS
09-12-2013, 07:12 AM
I'd see it working quite well in the rental market at foreign holiday locations - but other than that, :mm:

Really? if I were renting gear to tourists i wouldn't take on the extra liability and expense... and wouldn't the rentee need to be trained?

swampy
09-12-2013, 07:14 AM
And can you imagine trying to keep it clean? All those people sharing the lungs? Yuk... Almost as bad as sharing a Johnny !

Sent from my iPhone by swearing at Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) until it did nothing like what I wanted

Hot Totty
09-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Almost as bad as sharing a Johnny !

Sent from my iPhone by swearing at Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) until it did nothing like what I wanted

You mean you use a new one each time, profligacy in the extreme ;)

swampy
09-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I think we've already established - I put mine in the dishwasher, I just don't fancy a rental ;-)

Vobster
09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
It's a pre-pack on the Hollis so it's a 10 second job - I think you could forget to do that.... with an inspo and other manual pack boxes it's a big part of setting it up and only a complete ****ing donut could forget it (spacer o-ring is another matter)

Hi,

Just to clarify that the Hollis Explorer has a SELF pack canister, not pre-pack. And on the other point, I have personally pulled a ccr diver from the water that had left his scrubber on the back seat of his car. Agree a very stupid thing to do, but it has happened.

KR

Martin

Vobster
09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Had great fun try diving the Explorer today at Vobster. Excellent introduction and background. The unit's a piece of cake to dive too. Here's the mandatory video!

Hollis Explorer Rebreather Try Dive - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jEG5QneaI&feature=youtu.be)

Enjoy!

Chris

Thanks Chris, a great video, and good to see you yesterday.

Cheers

Martin

Kit Monkey
09-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Whats the all up weight of the unit ???

Considering its been equated to twins but with added faff Im wondering the viability for the domestic CO as an alternative.

Once I can cure her fear of gas recirculation ;)

Chris Ringrose
09-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Whats the all up weight of the unit ???

Considering its been equated to twins but with added faff Im wondering the viability for the domestic CO as an alternative.

Once I can cure her fear of gas recirculation ;)

It's really light. Weighs about the same as a single set or that's how it felt to me anyway!

gobfish1
09-12-2013, 11:01 PM
skip the first 5 pages

Hollis Explorer rebreather (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/rebreather-diving/406539-hollis-explorer-rebreather.html) :shagger:shagger:shagger:shagger:shagger

nickb
09-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Bit of a leap from a Boris to one of these things Chris.

Chris Ringrose
10-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Bit of a leap from a Boris to one of these things Chris.

Not buying one. Just playing. Quite similar to use in the water. To be expected I suppose as they both came out of the same stable. :-)

Mustard Dave
11-12-2013, 11:40 PM
I was looking at the unit at the dive show and the Hollis bloke talked me through it. I noticed the display doesn't tell you the P02 readings of all the cells and he was telling me the primary method of checking all is well is via the HUD. When I questioned it' he asked me why I would want to know this. In the manual of my AP unit, it tells me in no uncertain terms that if I am not prepared to monitor my P02, I will be killed to death! He didn't seem able to tell me why this wasn't necessary in the Explorer.

gobfish1
12-12-2013, 02:07 AM
I was looking at the unit at the dive show and the Hollis bloke talked me through it. I noticed the display doesn't tell you the P02 readings of all the cells and he was telling me the primary method of checking all is well is via the HUD. When I questioned it' he asked me why I would want to know this. In the manual of my AP unit, it tells me in no uncertain terms that if I am not prepared to monitor my P02, I will be killed to death! He didn't seem able to tell me why this wasn't necessary in the Explorer.

ppo2 will be all over the place thats prob why you dont get to see it , and i bet the hud only give green to go and red your off the unit ,

its a R unit , and most users would not know what to do with ppo2 info , or even why you would want it , as the unit works it all out for you ,

swampy
12-12-2013, 07:31 AM
It's an scr as well, the pp02 will change with depth just like open circuit - as there is no O2 carried other than that in your nitrox mix.

It will go up and down a little at a constant depth as you metabolise the 02 and it injects gas back into the loop but other than that there's no more need to worry about it than there is on oc

Hot Totty
12-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Recently did a try dive on one, on quizzing the guys running it on how it works out when to inject no one seemed to know. Reading around a few comments from Tim I get the impression you set an injection rate to match you metabolic rate??? Not sure how you can work this out without po2 display but hey. All I can say is the unit I tried must of been set up for a heavy breathing rapist at it was injecting about every second :think:

BTS
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
the unit I tried must of been set up for a heavy breathing rapist at it was injecting about every second :think:

You had prebooked the session then ;)

Mustard Dave
12-12-2013, 09:32 PM
ppo2 will be all over the place thats prob why you dont get to see it , and i bet the hud only give green to go and red your off the unit ,

its a R unit , and most users would not know what to do with ppo2 info , or even why you would want it , as the unit works it all out for you ,

It's an scr as well, the pp02 will change with depth just like open circuit - as there is no O2 carried other than that in your nitrox mix.

It will go up and down a little at a constant depth as you metabolise the 02 and it injects gas back into the loop but other than that there's no more need to worry about it than there is on oc

I understand the P02 will change, but what bothers me is that it is marketed as a hybrid of SCR and CCR. I understand the unit has three O2 sensors like most CCRs, which control the solenoid. With no O2 cylinder, the risk of going hyperoxic is pretty non-existent, unless you exceed the MOD of the nitrox mix. I would have thought the risk of hypoxia is still there though.

It is indeed an R-unit that works it out for you, but so does my Evolution+. Things can still go wrong (and do) and we are trained how to spot the signs of a problem and how to react.

What worries me is that I have not seen a detailed explanation of exactly how it works, and the Hollis rep did not seem to have an answer to my concerns.

swampy
12-12-2013, 09:45 PM
You would be able to go hypoxic on it - although I think you'd need to put some effort in....

in theory, if you ran out of gas but stayed down the PPO2 would start to drop (the lung volume would too, but lets ignore that for the moment) and I suppose you could get it down low enough (again, ignoring the issue with lung volume) so that when you came back up the PP02 would become hypoxic

taking a depth of 30 meters, you'd be metabolising about 0.25L a minute of volume though (1L Per minute of 02 Metabolisation rate) So in reality I think you'd suffocate first ;)

someone will be along in a minute to tell me I'm talking bollox though ;)

Vobster
13-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi All

I think it is worth correcting / reiterating a couple of misunderstandings about the Explorer:

- It does display the PPO2 on the resource menu, so you can see it.
- The primary display is the HUD, and it is an indication to bailout/check your handset to see what the issue is.
- In normal operation the PPO2 is not display on the front screen (you can scroll to it), however the Explorer operates on a resource based display, so should the PPO2 be outside of the set limits, the HUD indicates an issue, and the limiting resource/ issue (in this case the PPO2) is displayed as the primary screen. This is the same for Stack life, battery life, HP, NDL etc.
- This is also true for limiting factors, so what ever is your limiting resource at a given point in the dive, it displays the number of minutes you have left of that resource.
- It is a hybrid, because like a true SCR it does not use O2, however like a CCR it injects gas via a solenoid (Nitrox in this case) to maintain a safe PPO2.

Hope this helps.

Martin