X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Bullen
    Dive tart, and 'tog
    • Dec 2012

Service intervals are a guidline only.

Last year, as I always do I had my regs serviced, this year I've just done a course to learn how to service my own Apeks regs and along the way have serviced one of my DS4s an XTX/FSR 1st and both my XTX 2nd stages and an ATX 2nd plus inspected all my hoses. And therein lies the tale.

The regs themselves were all in reasonable nick, the filters weren't too bad although primary 2nd stages, could have been a bit cleaner and better rinsed but close inspection showed I needed to bin 2 hoses 1 x HP and 1 x LP. Admittedly I've done over 500 dives since last service (recommended interval 2 years regardless of number of dives) but I was aware that my HP hose was bubbling a little, my suit inlate hose was looking decidedly rough even though it wasn't giving me any trouble. The point is we all need to check hose condition more often, the regs could probably have done another year without a problem but the hoses couldn't. I'm glad I took advantage of a spate of bad weather to get it done.

Next stop is the swimming pool to make sure they work properly before they taste the salt again.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/
  • Cryptic
    TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Just out of interest, how much does the course cost, and who runs it?

Comment

• Pete Bullen
      Dive tart, and 'tog
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Cryptic
      I live in Gozo, not much help to you. Try having a word with Sam at fourth element ([email protected])

Comment

• Hontihl
        Gone Divin...
        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Cryptic
        i'm trying to get on one at the moment, ordinarily, Apeks won't entertain you if you're not a dealer, but if you can get a dealer to sponsor you then you're laughing, maybe...
        Evolution Diving PADI/TDI/SDI

Comment

• Mikael
          Could start a fight in a convent.
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Pete Bullen
          Last year, as I always do I had my regs serviced, this year I've just done a course to learn how to service my own Apeks regs and along the way have serviced one of my DS4s an XTX/FSR 1st and both my XTX 2nd stages and an ATX 2nd plus inspected all my hoses. And therein lies the tale.

The regs themselves were all in reasonable nick, the filters weren't too bad although primary 2nd stages, could have been a bit cleaner and better rinsed but close inspection showed I needed to bin 2 hoses 1 x HP and 1 x LP. Admittedly I've done over 500 dives since last service (recommended interval 2 years regardless of number of dives) but I was aware that my HP hose was bubbling a little, my suit inlate hose was looking decidedly rough even though it wasn't giving me any trouble. The point is we all need to check hose condition more often, the regs could probably have done another year without a problem but the hoses couldn't. I'm glad I took advantage of a spate of bad weather to get it done.

Next stop is the swimming pool to make sure they work properly before they taste the salt again.
          Little confused? You knew the HP hose was bubbling and the other hose was looking shabby. So it was just a closer inspection that made you bin them, surely a course isn't need for that? That said I would be interested in learning some day how to service regs.
          Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Comment

• Pete Bullen
            Dive tart, and 'tog
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mikael
            Little confused? You knew the HP hose was bubbling and the other hose was looking shabby. So it was just a closer inspection that made you bin them, surely a course isn't need for that? That said I would be interested in learning some day how to service regs.
            No didn't need the course to see the hoses needed binning but the act of servicing them made me look closer at them.,

Comment

Working...