PDA

View Full Version : different 1st stages on twin 12s

1906johns
15-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi
I'[ve just got a question about the 1st stages one dives with - I personally use two xstreams but I have a mate who also dives using xstreams but he's got 2 different first stages on his tank.

my question is why ? what reasons are there for doing this , is it something to do with the spare reg ?

just to be clear on this I'm not planning to change my rig, i'm just curious

Alex

Cryptic
15-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Maybe that's just what he happened to have available

1906johns
15-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Maybe that's just what he happened to have available

oh no he has kit coming out of his ears - his advice to me on mixing 1st & 2nd stages was yes you can and i do it, but don't...

Chris Thomas
15-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it.

My OCD won't let me use different regs!

swampy
15-11-2013, 07:31 PM
He needs to be careful if the second stages aren't "matched" with the first - some manufacturers use different interstage pressures and it could cause a problem, most likely a free flow

Not sure if that's what you mean or not

Sent from my iPhone by swearing at Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) until it did nothing like what I wanted

Richie
15-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Early Xstreams have poor hose routing - maybe your mate just lost patience :)

1906johns
15-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Early Xstreams have poor hose routing - maybe your mate just lost patience :)

i'm on xsxtream deep mk3 and i haven't had a drama with house routing at all.

He needs to be careful if the second stages aren't "matched" with the first - some manufacturers use different interstage pressures and it could cause a problem, most likely a free flow

Not sure if that's what you mean or not

I was more thinking what purposes would using a different 1st stage on each reg (same model) serve ?

nigel hewitt
15-11-2013, 07:45 PM
I certainly don't see a problem with this. If they were suitable for the conditions I would pick the reg that happened to route the hoses most cleanly and the two sides could well be different.

swampy
15-11-2013, 07:45 PM
None that I can think of - it's not like it's gonna have a design floor that would cause both to fail together

I used to run a Sherwood Maximus and a cyclon together on the same twinset but that was because it was all I had

Sent from my iPhone by swearing at Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) until it did nothing like what I wanted

johnohuk
15-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Cost? Creating a twinset rig aint cheap, I ran a scubapro MK17 A-clamp and MK25 DIN on my twinset for 8 months and it felt like it was the walk of shame to the waters edge .. ;) Finally replaced out the MK17 to another MK25 DIN and it looks very neat..

swampy
15-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I ran an a-clamp deco stage for years until I finally got around to having it DIN converted

the DIR mob used to look at me like I was eating a baby ;)

nickb
16-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Does he walk around with bog paper trailing from his shoe?

Hangin
24-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it.

My OCD won't let me use different regs!

Iam the same only use apeks 1st and 2nd stages good hose routing and would be lost with out them :P: