• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottyG
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

IDC / IE - the great debate?

UK or abroad?
    Last edited by ScottyG; 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM.
  • Chris Thomas
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

I think you should train in conditions similar to those you plan to dive in.

Where are you going to teach?

In my personal experience, I think you will be better doing DM>OWSI with the same school, so that when you do start teaching, you already know their techniques and approach.

Comment

• ScottyG
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2013

Hi Chris,

no plans to teachfor a while yet but looking to build my experience with the dive centre when the opportunity arises. Planning on doing the IDC in Sharm where I did my DM. Been diving with them since Open Water.

Comment

• Chris Thomas
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ScottyG
        Hi Chris,

no plans to teachfor a while yet but looking to build my experience with the dive centre when the opportunity arises. Planning on doing the IDC in Sharm where I did my DM. Been diving with them since Open Water.
        Go diving/do a tec course.

Comment

• Stevie H
          Still making God laugh...
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chris Thomas
          Do a tec course.
          Mmmmmmmm
          Steve Hinton
          Long term Sharm resident and Instructor
          Tec & Rec diving in Sharm

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
            bottlefish
            • Dec 2012

Hi Chris,

The IDC focuses purely on how to teach the PADI syllabus, it won't advance your diving at all .

If you've no plans to teach just yet, then wait until you are going to teach... Otherwise you'll have forgotten everything you've learnt and/or the syllabus will have changed.

If you're just after improving your diving and increasing your experience then as Chris says, just go diving or look into entry level tech courses.
            Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Stew W
              #VanGogh
              • Jun 2013

Aside from factoring flights into the equation, you'll not see much price difference in IDC's around the world. Personally I wouldn't do an IDC Sharm, but that's purely because I don't like the place and I used to Staff IDC's just up the road in Dahab. So not much help from me there.

IDC's are just running though the PADI process. Standards, the Modular system etc. Every CD on the planet can get you through the IDC and practically walk you through an I.E (I.E stands for Its Easy).

Abroad or at Home? Honestly, abroad it's warmer and the beer's cheaper
              "Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

Comment

• Nitnab Nhoj
                Hard Astern
                • Dec 2012

You learn to deliver the PADI product, not how to dive. In that way, it's like learning to be a MacDonalds chef. Home or abroad? Most of the world is abroad!
                It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Comment

• ScottyG
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2013

Thanks for the advice, I am fortunate enough where I do get to dive regularly and in different locations and environments. I wholly intend to continue that development and will maybe look at tech in the near future.

My plan to attend the the IDC / IE was simply to supplement that experience and natural evolvement as a diver plus I hoped to increase my understanding as to how others learn.

I really appreciate everyone's opinions on this matter

Comment

• Chris_M
                    TDF Member
                    • Jan 2013

For me, find a Course Director who will give you what you want. Steve Prior, for instance, will give you lots of different tips on how people learn, is massively enthusiastic about teaching people and methods. Others will go through the hoops. I would say this is more important than whether or not you are in warm/cold water. I know a very good instructor who went abroad to do his IDC, because that was the course he could make with the CD he wanted to do it with.

An IDC will not expand your diving a huge amount. It will teach you possibly a bit more risk assessment, and positioning, but it is aimed at teaching people, you should have the skills down pat before you get there. Classic question by students on an IDC is "Do you think I have enough air for the dive/pool session?" Seriously, if you ask that question, why are you on the course.

If you do not plan to teach for a while, you are spending a lot of money on fees for little return. Go diving, watch instructors, of all types and sorts, and see whether or not it is for you. Depending on how you do it, it may cost you £2k to do your IDC/IE.

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
                      bottlefish
                      • Dec 2012

to supplement that experience and natural evolvement as a diver
                      If you've no intention of teaching, all you will be doing is supplementing the PADI sales model.

Don't get me wrong, I think the IDC is great, I was an active PADI IDCS instructor for about 8 years.. I was also a tech instructor, and am still an HSE Commercial diver involved in filming, all different paths...

Don't let anyone fool you into believing that PADI Instructor is the next natural progression for you after DM, make your own mind up based on what you want to get out of your diving. If you do decide (or have already decided ) that IDC is definitely the way you want to go, then don't let anyone put you off. As for where, do it with a CD you trust, location doesn't matter as most of your time will be spent in a classroom or swimming pool.
                      Last edited by Stuart Keasley; 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM.
                      Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Chris Brown
                        Chris Brown Tech
                        • Jul 2013

UK or abroad?
                        It shouldnt matter. They arent going to teach you how to dive, they will teach you how to teach, so its down to the instructor again. A good course director will make a lasting impression on you. A bad one will just show you how to pass the exam. Most of the IDC is in the classroom, then its the pool and a bit of OW stuff.

I did my IDC in Mexico (when the ocean was rough as hell, with candidates puking on the boat and tanks flying around the deck) and my IT stuff in lakes and Quarries. Just because its warm doesnt mean it will necessarily be easier and you'll likely be in the water longer Plus quarries tend to have platforms and buoyed lines so it can actually be easier.

The social side / experience abroad with people coming from all over the world can be great in a tropical environment, doing it in the UK should be cheaper, but I bet theres not too much in it.

I wouldnt discount SDI either, as they are making headway in the market and you can have a custom run IDC and IE just for you, held whenever and wherever you like. You dont have to schedule everything around PADI's IE dates. Im sure Mark Powell and I would be happy to run one for you (You need 2 IT's) either here or somewhere sunny
                        http://www.chrisbrowntecnical.co.uk

TDI Instructor Trainer. IANTD, SDI, TDI & PADI technical & CCR instruction

Comment

• Paulo
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

I was of a similar line of thought as the OP but then I looked at the costs and thought feck it. By time you do EFR instructor, IDC & IE you are looking at sinking something like 1-2k. I might, just might, do assistant instructor as you can do a bit more thsn as a DM and dont need to do EFRI but don't know if it is worth it TBH.

Ever since the end of my OW course in 2004 I have had it in my head that I wanted to be an instructor eventually but the eventually part keeps getting longer and longer
                          If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• ScottyG
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
                            I was of a similar line of thought as the OP but then I looked at the costs and thought feck it. By time you do EFR instructor, IDC & IE you are looking at sinking something like 1-2k. I might, just might, do assistant instructor as you can do a bit more thsn as a DM and dont need to do EFRI but don't know if it is worth it TBH.

Ever since the end of my OW course in 2004 I have had it in my head that I wanted to be an instructor eventually but the eventually part keeps getting longer and longer
                            Did the EFRI with Steve Prior last month and thoroughly enjoyed it, plus it is one less day to spend in the classroom if I do it abroad.

I worked it out to be about £2000 for the course plus flights and stuff - not cheap but nonetheless if it is worth doing it is worth doing right!

Comment

• Nitnab Nhoj
                              Hard Astern
                              • Dec 2012

I taught my flatmate how to use the RDP the night before the exam. Just as well because that's the subject he pulled. Next day he was a PADI OWSI (like me)!
                              It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Comment

Working...