PDA

View Full Version : New trimix ready computer for less than £500.

gav6280
26-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Have been reading up an looking about at stuff but was wondering what peoples personnel preference would be if you had £500 to spend on a NEW tri mix capable computer and what the options are.

Im not tri-mix yet but maybe oneday so figure if your spending that much may as wel get something i wont need to change for a very long time.

Will be quite a leap from my 8 year old Sunnto Gekko :-)

witchieblackcat
26-10-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm thinking xDeep when it's available.

Currently I'm using a Suunto HelO2 which is fine (and you can get a free transmitter with one at Dive Life) but I fancy a better screen and algorithm.

j_b
26-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm thinking xDeep when it's available.

Currently I'm using a Suunto HelO2 which is fine (and you can get a free transmitter with one at Dive Life) but I fancy a better screen and algorithm.

I'm at the same point, it does seem like cracking value for money.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

gav6280
26-10-2013, 04:07 PM
So far then its Xdeep tri at £529 or the Sunnto at £349 with transmitter.

So how about the Frog at £495 and is it just a coincidence that it looks like an OSTC?

So basically thats all the options then??

Rob Dobson
26-10-2013, 04:19 PM
So how about the Frog at £495 and is it just a coincidence that it looks like an OSTC?

So basically thats all the options then??

Two issues with the frog as it is not available new nor is it Trimix.

gav6280
26-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Two issues with the frog as it is not available new nor is it Trimix.

oh ok cheers :-)

Just seen it for sale at divelife.

Rob Dobson
26-10-2013, 04:38 PM
oh ok cheers :-)

Just seen it for sale at divelife.

Well if they have any left great (but it still isn't a Trimix computer).

notdeadyet
26-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Uwatec timer, copy of DDPlan and spend the other 400 quid on diving. It's done me well for the last 15 years.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MikeF
26-10-2013, 07:08 PM
why would you spend £500 on a new computer, a s/h computer works just the same as a new one and will open you up to everything out there.

VR£ can be good value if you're below a certain age and can read the screen and enjoy the long press short press cryptic programming.
uwatec galileo does trimix and is really easy to read and use with a natty built in compass but you can't add gases on the fly.
shearwater petrel / predator is a thing of beauty and very easy to use
OSTC looks nice but I've never used one so can't comment

if I were you and I had £500 burning a hole in my pocket I'd be on the lookout for a used predator or petrel.

Major Clanger
26-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd put a hold on the XDeep for the moment. Look at second hand tried and tested technology with an easy to read oled type screen.

Paulo
26-10-2013, 07:56 PM
VR3, last computer you will ever need :nerd:

witchieblackcat
26-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd put a hold on the XDeep for the moment. Look at second hand tried and tested technology with an easy to read oled type screen.

They're not actually available at the moment. According to Brett at Divelife they're testing the trimix stuff at the moment. I was thinking that it might be readily available sometime in the new year so plenty early enough for me as doing the deco required for trimix diving is a summer only event for me.

I did quite fancy the OSTC3 but there just seems to be delay after delay so it's not really an option for me at the moment.

MikeF
26-10-2013, 08:20 PM
my advice would be to avoid being an early adopter and don't ever buy anything with vapourware 'that's 'being tested and will be available shortly'.

it took 5 years or more for uwatec to release the trimix upgrade, for the galileo I bought, that was 'being tested and will be available shortly'. by the time it came out I'd long ago given up waiting and bought a shearwater pursuit instead.

Major Clanger
26-10-2013, 09:02 PM
They're not actually available at the moment. According to Brett at Divelife they're testing the trimix stuff at the moment. I was thinking that it might be readily available sometime in the new year so plenty early enough for me as doing the deco required for trimix diving is a summer only event for me.

I did quite fancy the OSTC3 but there just seems to be delay after delay so it's not really an option for me at the moment.

The 3's been withdrawn. The 2n is excellent or c or whatever it is now.

witchieblackcat
26-10-2013, 09:05 PM
The 3's been withdrawn.

For the moment not forever.

rockinrobin
26-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Rather than looking for something that can handle trimix, why not just a rebreather?

Well, someone had to say it:hi:

Major Clanger
26-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Rather than looking for something that can handle trimix, why not just a rebreather?

Well, someone had to say it:hi:

Not all rb's come with a computer. I use two stand alone's. So ner ner ne ner ner :)

Major Clanger
26-10-2013, 09:19 PM

Did they say that?

JPTaylor
26-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Not all rb's come with a computer. I use two stand alone's. So ner ner ne ner ner :)

Well if Leon had pulled his finger out & delivered APEC's 3.0..... it's been just around the corner for nearly a decade now!!

Rob Dobson
26-10-2013, 09:27 PM

There are 3's out there in use and I have one here however they aren't currently available to buy. I don't think it'll be much longer but they're bound to be cautious with the testing before putting it back on sale.

MikeF
26-10-2013, 09:33 PM

mine came with two hardwired shearwaters so whilst it may, at first glance, have looked expensive, it was actually the same price as a used classic and two standalones. at least that's how I justified it to myself. In fact as it also came with a built in shearwater HUD it was actually considerably cheaper than a used classic and therefore a bargain that had to be snapped up.

voila, bistro maths at it's finest.

Major Clanger
26-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Well if Leon had pulled his finger out & delivered APEC's 3.0..... it's been just around the corner for nearly a decade now!!

Never gonna happen. More chance of proper full monty bmcl's, and that ain't likely. The current inline predator version's no controller but then the veyron comes with no bells n whistles either.

witchieblackcat
26-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Did they say that?

Rob Dobson just did.
And the nice man at my LDS was talking to them about it only the other day.

witchieblackcat
26-10-2013, 11:05 PM

Mine will if I ever get one :)

Major Clanger
26-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Rob Dobson just did.
And the nice man at my LDS was talking to them about it only the other day.

Technically Rob was after ;p and LDS's don't count. Hope they do bring them back on line because if mine goes tits I want a new one.

SilentDiver
27-10-2013, 10:28 AM
VR£ can be good value if you're below a certain age and can read the screen and enjoy the long press short press cryptic programming.

To be honest I wouldnt recommend a VR3 to anyone regardless of its spec or how cheap it is.

A friend of mine contacted them last week regarding repairs if needed as he had been offered one very cheap and I had mentioned to him about others having problems getting repairs etc, there reply to him there is virtually a zero percent chance of getting VR3's repaired anymore.

shearwater petrel / predator is a thing of beauty and very easy to use

This would be my recommendation to anyone looking for a Trimix computer and even though I use the Predator I would point them more towards the Petrel as it is cheaper, smaller and the screen although not OLED is just as good if not better than the Predator.

And if the OP already has £500 saved up/available then it probably wouldnt take long to save the extra to get the Petrel brand new with warranty and the exemplary customer support/service from N@90 and Shearwater.

Look at second hand tried and tested technology with an easy to read oled type screen.

Why OLED though?? The new HD screens on the Petrel are just as good if not better than OLED.

Putting my Predator next to my wife's Petrel apart from the different colours I cannot tell any difference in the quality of the display and if I could afford it I would sell my Predator and get the Petrel purely for its smaller size :)

OSTC is another option, I havent used one one in anger but had a play with a friends down the club and didnt really get on with it, I found the menu system awkward and overly complicated but that could just be me although others on here have said the same but some have said the opposite.

If possible try and get your hands on a few and see which one you get on with the best.

Paulo
27-10-2013, 10:43 AM
there reply to him there is virtually a zero percent chance of getting VR3's repaired anymore.

I had the depth sensor replaced in mine in July of this year

SilentDiver
27-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I had the depth sensor replaced in mine in July of this year

Yep that was July but he spoke to them last week and that is what they told him so he isnt buying a VR3....

And I know of others that got told "not repairable, but we can sell you a new one at a not so cheap price" about the same time you got yours repaired so read into it what you want.

I had a VR3 at one point and it never ever let me down but even so there is no way that I could recommend them to anyone.

balbrigganbloke
27-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I got my depth sensor replaced last week so theyer still servicing some models of vr
they dont have the colour screens any more but they had the repair/replacement done inside ten days

Yep that was July but he spoke to them last week and that is what they told him so he isnt buying a VR3....

And I know of others that got told "not repairable, but we can sell you a new one at a not so cheap price" about the same time you got yours repaired so read into it what you want.

I had a VR3 at one point and it never ever let me down but even so there is no way that I could recommend them to anyone.

JPTaylor
27-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I got my depth sensor replaced last week so theyer still servicing some models of vr
they dont have the colour screens any more but they had the repair/replacement done inside ten days

But a VR3 still represents a risk, when the service department runs out of spares (unless they are allowed to re-order new spares) your unit could become unserviceable!

Just because you/ paulo got away with this time, doesn't mean others will do so in the future.

I'd personally avoid VR3's due to this uncertancy , speaking as an ex-VR3 owner (my unit very reliable). If you buy 2nd hand only pay enough so you can toss in a bin if it stops working without worrying about it.

Paulo
27-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Just because you/ paulo got away with this time,

The luck of the Irish ;)

balbrigganbloke
27-10-2013, 05:32 PM
But a VR3 still represents a risk, when the service department runs out of spares (unless they are allowed to re-order new spares) your unit could become unserviceable!

Just because you/ paulo got away with this time, doesn't mean others will do so in the future.

I'd personally avoid VR3's due to this uncertancy , speaking as an ex-VR3 owner (my unit very reliable). If you buy 2nd hand only pay enough so you can toss in a bin if it stops working without worrying about it.

When I spoke to them on the phone they said there was no problem repairing them in the future
Now im fairly sure they will run out of parts eventually when it becomes no longer economical to carry them but its not like its going to be today or tomorrow

witchieblackcat
27-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Technically Rob was after ;p
Technically but it still counts ;)

LDS's don't count.
Depends how much you trust them and who they are doesn't it.

Doomanic
27-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Is there a price for a trimix xDeep confirmed yet?

Major Clanger
27-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Depends how much you trust them and who they are doesn't it.

Not about trust, they don't count because they only regurgitate what the supplier tells them, example Badger and the xdeep, the early Nautilus Lifelines etc and promised delivery dates that didn't get met, albeit information received and passed on in good faith. They couldn't even give Rob a forecast delivery date for them to then miss. Great if they do come soon, but don't hold your breath waiting...

PS my 3's working just dandy :)

notdeadyet
27-10-2013, 09:23 PM
When I spoke to them on the phone they said there was no problem repairing them in the future
Now im fairly sure they will run out of parts eventually when it becomes no longer economical to carry them but its not like its going to be today or tomorrow

I seem to recall them saying the same thing about a couple of year old Uwatecs and then it was "sorry but here's a nice deal on an, ahem, upgrade".

witchieblackcat
27-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Not about trust, they don't count because they only regurgitate what the supplier tells them, example Badger and the xdeep, the early Nautilus Lifelines etc and promised delivery dates that didn't get met, albeit information received and passed on in good faith. They couldn't even give Rob a forecast delivery date for them to then miss. Great if they do come soon, but don't hold your breath waiting...

Maybe your LDS doesn't have the ahem clout mine does...
As it happens I was talking to the supplier only today and it is coming sometime well maybe soon...

Major Clanger
28-10-2013, 04:06 AM
Maybe your LDS doesn't have the ahem clout mine does...
As it happens I was talking to the supplier only today and it is coming sometime well maybe soon...

So much better when you can bypass them and get exactly the same advice ;)

Sent from my ivory tower using Tapatalk

Ian_6301
28-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Set Gekko for Guage mode (if it does it?)

Uwatec 330m Timer x1

Timex Ironman digital watch x1 (good for stops)

MultiDeco on your phone

OR

If you REALLY want a trimix computer, pick up a secondhand OSTC off ebay for around £400 and buy a Uwatec as a backup for under £100.

gobfish1
28-10-2013, 09:23 AM
if your not going to be diving mixgas for a few years i not bother with a mixgas computer ,

id say get a desk top planner , you will have more fun and learn more playing with that ,

a half right nitrox computer ( one that lets you run 100% o2 ) maybe a better thing to be looking at , in 3 years time some new fad / mix gas putter will be out and you then will be able to pick up this years must have for 200 quid , :rofl:

just had a look on ebay ,

Suunto Vytec | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suunto-Vytec-/121202869943?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Scuba_Snorkelling Equipment_SM&hash=item1c384106b7)

now i know some go on about the sunnto minute being longer then the real world , but you can change the setting to work for you ,
the best fix i found when using the vytec was to set my 0xygen % at 6m to 95/96 as the sunnto wont let you hit 1.6 on a deco stop . ie you get to 6m and you cant get on your o2 till your computer is saying move up , think it wants you at about 1.55pp2 b4 it will let you switch , .

stick in 95/6 and computer thinks ist at 1.55pp2 whan your 6.2m , turn off all the Safety setting and put the bubble model (RGBM) as low as you can think it was 50%

dive with other suunto divers and the sunnto minute wont matter , :shagger as you will be no the boat same time be4 them tec divers decoing out on some piss poor 50% :rofl:,,

ps
do what the computer say s and dont be arsing about with the deep stop bollox ,

AxeMan
28-10-2013, 09:45 AM
a half right nitrox computer ( one that lets you run 100% o2 ) maybe a better thing to be looking at , in 3 years time some new fad / mix gas putter will be out and you then will be able to pick up this years must have for 200 quid , :rofl:
And if it's got a gauge mode, you can use it as your backup when you do start doing mix diving.

gobfish1
28-10-2013, 11:29 AM
And if it's got a gauge mode, you can use it as your backup when you do start doing mix diving.

and you can down load your dives and look at all them blue marks ,

Compare your end of dive Tissue codes with all them other tec dives decoing out on that piss poor 50% :shagger