PDA

View Full Version : TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco Procedures - Now what?

DaveInEssex
19-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Just completed the TDI combined course with Dive-In Larnaca.
Really enjoyed the course which was all undertaken on and around the Zenobia.
I thought the course introduced us to some great 'general' diving skills some new ones and also some great reinforcements of skills that I had learned on SSI stress and rescue. The instructor (Jamie) proved his inventiveness by handing me his stage then giving me signal to start the shut down drill!
Reading this forum I realise that this is just a start and this leads to my question of whats next...

I really need to get some more practical general practice in with a wing and manifolded twin set. This is not the path my current diving buddies want to go down at the moment, and I am located in mid-essex. So looking at my alternatives for getting some UK based and holiday diving in. I live between two BSAC clubs (Bramston and Chelmsford), and also a number of shops are in the local area, any other alternatives?

Also I need to at least update my computer (Zoop wont do gauge mode), a wing etc etc.... a path that I am sure are well worn on these forums.

Any advice on where who or when!

Dave.

MikeF
19-10-2013, 12:42 PM
trot along to both of the BSAC branches, talk with them, find out what diving they regularly do (not what they would like to do, that's different), explain your experience and what you are loking for and take your pick. you'll get more advice than you need fom a BSAC club, you'll just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Be under no illusions about padi dive centre 'clubs', they want your money, that's the reason they exist.

nigel hewitt
19-10-2013, 01:01 PM
trot along to both of the BSAC branches, talk with them, find out what diving they regularly do (not what they would like to do, that's different), explain your experience and what you are looking for and take your pick. you'll get more advice than you need from a BSAC club, you'll just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Definitely true. My BSAC branch would be little attraction to a budding techie. We're on the coast and basically RIB dive within a few miles of our home port most of the year.
Wonderful if you're a beginner wanting to wind up the experience or just somebody who fancies a low stress dip evenings and weekends but 'deep' is a long way out (12 miles to the Quail in 40+ meters and the Quail is a running branch joke because we can never get enough takers to go when it comes up as a target.)

You need to visit a branch to find out what they do.

DaveInEssex
19-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Sounds like good advice, having a poke around the web sites today!

Thanks,

Dave.

jb2cool
19-10-2013, 03:19 PM
You can still probably use the Zoop as a gauge. Just ignore the deco information it gives you as it'll always show time and depth.

Major Clanger
19-10-2013, 03:29 PM
trot along to both of the BSAC branches, talk with them, find out what diving they regularly do (not what they would like to do, that's different), explain your experience and what you are loking for and take your pick. you'll get more advice than you need fom a BSAC club, you'll just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Be under no illusions about padi dive centre 'clubs', they want your money, that's the reason they exist.

+1 You need to visit to decide. Three years ago my club had a mixture of single and twinset divers. Now, a typical hard boat trip will be 70% twinset, 30% breathers, which may not suit single cylinder divers, not that we discriminate. It's just that our club is taking on an increasingly technical profile to it and no hidden agendas to it (other than mine to get it to buy a booster).

Chris Brown
21-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Just completed the TDI combined course with Dive-In Larnaca.
Really enjoyed the course which was all undertaken on and around the Zenobia.
I thought the course introduced us to some great 'general' diving skills some new ones and also some great reinforcements of skills that I had learned on SSI stress and rescue. The instructor (Jamie) proved his inventiveness by handing me his stage then giving me signal to start the shut down drill!
Reading this forum I realise that this is just a start and this leads to my question of whats next...

I really need to get some more practical general practice in with a wing and manifolded twin set. This is not the path my current diving buddies want to go down at the moment, and I am located in mid-essex. So looking at my alternatives for getting some UK based and holiday diving in. I live between two BSAC clubs (Bramston and Chelmsford), and also a number of shops are in the local area, any other alternatives?

Also I need to at least update my computer (Zoop wont do gauge mode), a wing etc etc.... a path that I am sure are well worn on these forums.

Any advice on where who or when!

Dave.

Hi Dave, Im usually in a puddle somewhere every weekend teaching tech courses. You are more than welcome to tag along and get some practice in. People find it really useful as you get to hear all the discussions topside and practice ascents descents etc.

Piemaster
15-01-2014, 01:19 PM
How did you get on with this Dave? I'm in the same position having recently completed TDI AN/DP and don't live far from you.

BTS
15-01-2014, 05:06 PM
edit...... wrong thread.....

ACdood
28-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Dave, Im usually in a puddle somewhere every weekend teaching tech courses. You are more than welcome to tag along and get some practice in. People find it really useful as you get to hear all the discussions topside and practice ascents descents etc.

This is about as good practice as you can do to refine your skills and gain experience.

I used to do exactly this for my previous technical level students as they could basically do the course again and again without the stress of being assessed. They could see the progression of the students in training and work on their own techniques. If they wanted any advice it would be given.

I'd take mr brown up on this.

If you are ever up north and want to hit an inland site to practice anything let me know. I'm a tdi instructor that no longer teaches for a living so I enjoy just diving and helping where I can.

Cheers

Andy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Stuart Keasley
28-01-2014, 11:27 AM
That's a bit of a sweeping statement Mike!

I've been associated with a "club" for the past 10 years that's run off the back of a PADI dive centre. It's run on an informal basis, there's no membership fees, it's simply an opportunity for divers to get together to go diving. Some trips are arranged by the dive centre, others by individuals within the club.

I'd treat any club in the same way, head down have a chat to see if you like them, what they're offering, what they want in return etc. Some will want your money, others will want to take you diving.

Not sure if Basildon is too far for you, but if not, give Phoenix Divers a bell (http://www.phoenixdiversltd.co.uk/), a few of them are diving tech, nice bunch as well.

mark weaver
02-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Mark Powell runs some wreck weeks out of Portland in the summer. Each week is based on a set max depth ie: 35m max week 45m max week and 60m max week. These are a great way to get some more experience with divers of similar qualification level, but also having Mark around to help and provide advice where needed. I did a 45m week after doing an\dec proc a few years ago and found it a great benefit - and some great dives also.

Frappawotsit
02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
That's a bit of a sweeping statement Mike!

I've been associated with a "club" for the past 10 years that's run off the back of a PADI dive centre. It's run on an informal basis, there's no membership fees, it's simply an opportunity for divers to get together to go diving.

+1 I've been associated with a PADI centre for a couple of years, they also run trips every year, all around the UK, Red Sea liveaboards, etc.... and they're not run to make profit. They try to build a club diving atmosphere and get divers out there diving in the real world! Get and keep divers enthused with diving, show them experiences they perhaps otherwise wouldn't get.

gaius
02-02-2014, 11:26 AM
+1 I've been associated with a PADI centre for a couple of years, they also run trips every year, all around the UK, Red Sea liveaboards, etc.... and they're not run to make profit. They try to build a club diving atmosphere and get divers out there diving in the real world! Get and keep divers enthused with diving, show them experiences they perhaps otherwise wouldn't get.

Same here. At the end of the day, it costs a certain amount of money to go diving. There are the costs of the weekend away, travel, accommodation, food, that would be the same no matter what activity you are planning to do or who with. Then there is the diving, and what the BSAC club charges members per day for RIB usage isn't actually that much less than a hardboat would charge for shuttling. I've no issue with this, running a boat costs money, and RIBs cost more than hardboats, just an observation. I've found that what the club attached to the PADI centre charges all-in is not much different to what an identical weekend away with the BSAC club would cost when totted up, and if they are making a profit too, well, they've earned it. That profit covers someone in the office to handle some of the admin and logistics, all the actual diving is planned and led by club members.

They are also less likely to do surprising things, like on one BSAC trip the organizer had booked himself and his GF into a double room and all the other couples split into boys and girls bunkrooms 'cos it "saved the club money". So people had paid for that and then also paid for rooms in a nearby hotel because, well, we're not students anymore...