X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveBarber
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Fly/dive ettiqette

I'm booked on Valkyrie on the end of season mid November scapa trip. Being billy no mates and living in Essex the prospects of driving up to Orkney alone are too daunting so I'm flying up. Easyjet from my local airport then Logan air from Edinburgh.

Whats the drill for airline baggage, re shellfish?

Scallops I'm planning to shuck and freeze down. Creepy crawlies not so easy.

Also should they go in the cabin or be better off (colder) in the hold?
  • BTS
    feckface von clownstick
    • Dec 2012

I have no idea and suggest that it is best not to ask the airline, they CS peeps probably wont know either and make up some crap on the spot...

Plastic zip lock bags, in a non crush container in with your kit in the hold and stay stchum is the path I would take..
    What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Comment

• Paulo
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

I used to work for a cargo airline and used to send tonnes of shellfish as cargo all over the world every week.

I would say your best bet is to find a local freight forwarder and ship it home. Might be more expensive but at leastyou will get it and get it in good condition
      If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• DaveBarber
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Another tactic is to eat as much as poss on the trip.

Anyone been on Valkyrie? Am I allowed a nightly cookup?

Comment

• Adrian
          Remember, remember
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DaveBarber

Ask Helen.

I'd be surprised if you can eat anything else once you've eaten one of Helen's meals.
          Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Comment

• Tim Digger
            Prior Member
            • Feb 2013

If your group is being fed by Helen as part of your trip costs, you will not be able to eat anything else. She is a very good professional cook. If you want to use the galley and you are not fed as Half board then ask and promise to clean up.
            It's a great boat.
            Tim Digger
            Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
            Tim Digger

Comment

• Jennifer
              wandered over from the naughty step :)
              • Feb 2013

I'm booked on Valkyrie on the end of season mid November scapa trip. Being billy no mates and living in Essex the prospects of driving up to Orkney alone are too daunting so I'm flying up. Easyjet from my local airport then Logan air from Edinburgh.

Whats the drill for airline baggage, re shellfish?

Scallops I'm planning to shuck and freeze down. Creepy crawlies not so easy.

Also should they go in the cabin or be better off (colder) in the hold?
              Just came across your post - nice to have met you on the trip.

Did you manage to find any scallops on your last days diving after we'd all left and did you manage to east / smuggle them home without the airline knowing about it?

Jen

Comment

• DaveBarber
                Established TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Jennifer

Did you manage to find any scallops on your last days diving after we'd all left and did you manage to east / smuggle them home without the airline knowing about it?

Jen
                Hi Jen

No alas John stayed tied up on Saturday. Went sight seeing on the bus, barriers, italian church and Kirkwall.

Scallops was only banter, much easier to collect down south. I was a bit surprised how little life there was on the wrecks. Scapa certainly isn't the place to go for crustys. I guess the skippers return to exactly the same sites day in day out.

Thanks for your company.

Comment

• PeterL
                  The artist formerly known as petlowe....
                  • Dec 2012

Hi Jen

No alas John stayed tied up on Saturday. Went sight seeing on the bus, barriers, italian church and Kirkwall.

Scallops was only banter, much easier to collect down south. I was a bit surprised how little life there was on the wrecks. Scapa certainly isn't the place to go for crustys. I guess the skippers return to exactly the same sites day in day out.

Thanks for your company.
                  NAUGHTY STEP DAVE

"in my 25 years of skippering I have never had a stowaway"

Comment

• Jennifer
                    wandered over from the naughty step :)
                    • Feb 2013

Fly/dive ettiqette

I think Dave should change his username on here to NaughtyStepDave lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• dwhitlow
                      Coastal Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jennifer

If he had they'd have stowed away on another plane

Comment

• dwhitlow
                        Coastal Member
                        • Dec 2012

Scallops was only banter, much easier to collect down south.
                        I did see a fair few scallops but, as I think you will agree, the food was more sufficient.

I was a bit surprised how little life there was on the wrecks. Scapa certainly isn't the place to go for crustys. I guess the skippers return to exactly the same sites day in day out.
                        I did wonder about the lack of crabs and lobsters but I guess with dozens of divers on the same wrecks every week they really stand little chance.

Comment

• PeterL
                          The artist formerly known as petlowe....
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dwhitlow

I did wonder about the lack of crabs and lobsters but I guess with dozens of divers on the same wrecks every week they really stand little chance.
                          Erm, aint lobsters a Souvern thing and langoustines the more Scottish version of same? Smaller, tougher, harder to pin down in a fight like all the locals?
                          I saw a bunch of them on every dive but I was diving 15/50 all week cause I was not dumping it from my standard tins so did have a bit more visual acuity than you 32% lot...

Comment

Working...