Banner Ad

Time to ban helium balloons and open circuit trimix diving?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwhitlow
    Coastal Member
    • Dec 2012

Time to ban helium balloons and open circuit trimix diving?

Senate Passes Helium Bill In Effort To Avert Shortage

Given the limited helium supplies, isn't it time we took steps to prevent wasteful use of such a finite and irreplaceable resource?
  • j_b
    aka demonweb
    • Dec 2012

Re: Time to ban helium balloons and open circuit trimix diving?

Helium in balloons definitely. I can't think of anything more wasteful to use it for.
    Fortunately it's a by product of fracking apparently so as that catches on, we'll be fine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Big Matt
      taller than the BFG and more friendly
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by j_b
      Helium in balloons definitely. I can't think of anything more wasteful to use it for.
      Fortunately it's a by product of fracking apparently so as that catches on, we'll be fine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
      breathe in. breathe out. sounds pretty wasteful to me
      I wish everything in life was black or white. Except for fish. Oh and the sea. Blue or green, I don't mind either. And my TV. Ah sod it, nothing in life should be black or white. Phew, that's a relief

Comment

• notdeadyet
        Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
        • Jan 2013

That's what happens when you put the most irresponsible nation on the planet in charge of one of the most finite resources.

The morons flogged off their reserve at rock bottom prices, screwed up their processing infrastructure and it became cheaper for drilling companies to piss helium into the air than extract it because the government skewed the market and took away the means of handling the gas. They'd be bombing someone so stupid if the shoe was on the other foot.

Luckily most European helium is Algerian but the more the Yanks cock about with their reserve the more it's going to fook that up.
        Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• AxeMan
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

"The source for the real numbers is, for an element, always the US Geological Survey. Their helium note tells us that current global consumption is around 180 million cubic metres a year. There’s something like 50 billion cubic metres lying around out there. That’s a near 300 year supply at current usage rates."

What Great Helium Shortage? - Forbes
          See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Comment

• Big Matt
            taller than the BFG and more friendly
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by AxeMan
            "The source for the real numbers is, for an element, always the US Geological Survey. Their helium note tells us that current global consumption is around 180 million cubic metres a year. There’s something like 50 billion cubic metres lying around out there. That’s a near 300 year supply at current usage rates."

that's a relief. big breath in. big breath out. and it means i can buy my daughter a helium balloon for her birthday without feeling guilty about it too
            I wish everything in life was black or white. Except for fish. Oh and the sea. Blue or green, I don't mind either. And my TV. Ah sod it, nothing in life should be black or white. Phew, that's a relief

Comment

• BTS
              feckface von clownstick
              • Dec 2012

I figure there is enough to outlast my diving life....
              What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Comment

• chas49
                TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by AxeMan

Also from the "helium note":

Originally posted by Gelogical Survey
                Future production from these facilities is expected to be sufficient to meet worldwide helium demand for the next 5 years; however, to ensure future helium supplies, more exploration will be needed.
                and

Hydrogen is also being investigated as a substitute for helium in deep-sea diving applications below 1,000 feet.

Comment

• Chrisch
                  Tofu eating wokerato
                  • Jan 2013

Helium "scares" do the rounds annually.

Some dick trying to cross the Atlantic with the stuff last week......
                  There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                  With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Chris Thomas
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Chrisch
                    Helium "scares" do the rounds annually.

Some dick trying to cross the Atlantic with the stuff last week......
                    That's my next hobby once I've dived some of the great 100m+ wrecks. Cluster ballooning looks well cool!

Comment

• nickb
                      Closed Account: User Requested
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BTS
                      I figure there is enough to outlast my diving life....
                      ....at Gary's house

Comment

Working...