X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frogette35
    Established TDF Member
    • Aug 2013

Bad Form?

I like squidge, spent hours rock pooling as a kid and still do now if the chance arises. Anyway now I have learnt to dive I can see far more squidge, particularly crustaceans. I also like to eat fish and shellfish, is it considered bad form to take you squidgey friends home and cook them?
    Is it me or does that make me sound like a serial killer?
  • BTS
    feckface von clownstick
    • Dec 2012

Absolutely not, I would consider it bad form to swim about exploring the seabed and then go to Tesco on the way home to buy some plaice for dinner...

Scallop and crab are regular friends I take home for tea, lobster I go for once or twice a year, there are not many about and crabs taste better... plaice and other fish when the opportunity arises.

Monkfish I leave alone as I think it is wasteful and they are quite a fascinating fish, pollock on the other hand and neither pretty and interesting until coated in a beer batter.

Just be sure you know the minimum catch sizes and and off seasons in the areas you diver...

What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Comment

• Tim Digger
      Prior Member
      • Feb 2013

One of thr illogicalities of diving is the banning (by some ) of spear fishing with SCUBA. This as long as it is for food (Eat All you kill) is the most ecofriendly method of fishing there is. Yes be eco aware of catch sizes and what is scarce in the area you are diving otherwise, Eat all you catch and don't buy anything no matter how green it claims to be, it will ALWAYS have caused more damage to the marine environment than taking an individual from the sea by direct hunting.
      Tim Digger
      Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
      Tim Digger

Comment

• dwhitlow
        Coastal Member
        • Dec 2012

ah yes, the hunter returns to the family with a haul of seafood

nothing wrong with that!

Scallops, hand-picked by divers
        Fresh crab .... etc

Comment

• Major Clanger
          Purine hurts my feet
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tim Digger
          One of thr illogicalities of diving is the banning (by some ) of spear fishing with SCUBA. This as long as it is for food (Eat All you kill) is the most ecofriendly method of fishing there is. Yes be eco aware of catch sizes and what is scarce in the area you are diving otherwise, Eat all you catch and don't buy anything no matter how green it claims to be, it will ALWAYS have caused more damage to the marine environment than taking an individual from the sea by direct hunting.
          Tim Digger
          I think you may just have opened this week's ruck, which I'm about to pour some fuel on

Some object to scuba hunting claiming it's unsporting. WTF? Catch and kill for the plate is fine. Why on earth do some think fish need a head start??? It's being hunted for the plate, not to enjoy a day at the races. I have designed some underwater fishing tackle, yet to be deployed in anger, for a bit of scuba cod fishing. The sport will be from the big bugger that refuses to give in and takes me for a swim; cheap form of scootering if you ask me...let the games begin...
          GaryL

Comment

• Logun
            Sir Logun
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Major Clanger
            I think you may just have opened this week's ruck, which I'm about to pour some fuel on

Some object to scuba hunting claiming it's unsporting. WTF? Catch and kill for the plate is fine. Why on earth do some think fish need a head start??? It's being hunted for the plate, not to enjoy a day at the races. I have designed some underwater fishing tackle, yet to be deployed in anger, for a bit of scuba cod fishing. The sport will be from the big bugger that refuses to give in and takes me for a swim; cheap form of scootering if you ask me...let the games begin...
            This thread is useless without video.
            Originally posted by steelemonkey
            I hereby decree that all on this site should now refer to you as Sir Logun.

Comment

• Major Clanger
              Purine hurts my feet
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Logun
              Unless I get a go-pro and attach it to me nugget, that may be difficult
              GaryL

Comment

• Paulo
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

In Ireland it is illegal to take any sealife while on SCUBA, you can however take anything within the legal limits on a snorkel
                If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Frogette35
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Logun
                  Bit like the thresher shark that towed a little fishing boat into the shipping lanes recently off the Isle of Wight, or are you thinking more fish powered waterskiing?

Comment

• Major Clanger
                    Purine hurts my feet
                    • Dec 2012

Bad Form?

Originally posted by Paulo
                    In Ireland it is illegal to take any sealife while on SCUBA, you can however take anything within the legal limits on a snorkel
                    The Irish fishing policy is as screwed up as ours.
                    GaryL

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                      The Irish fishing policy is as screwed up as ours.
                      Worse!

Ours was screwed over by one Charles J. Haughey who later became Taoiseach even though he had LONG been the centre of controversy including buying weapons from State funds to supposrt the IRA back at the start of the Troubles

Comment

• Major Clanger
                        Purine hurts my feet
                        • Dec 2012

Bad Form?

Worse!

Ours was screwed over by one Charles J. Haughey who later became Taoiseach even though he had LONG been the centre of controversy including buying weapons from State funds to supposrt the IRA back at the start of the Troubles
                        When I was clued up in these things, i recall the policy did everything it shouldn't to protect returning salmon stocks.
                        GaryL

Comment

• Paulo
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

mmmm ... lobbying was very effective at the time!

Comment

• Major Clanger
                            Purine hurts my feet
                            • Dec 2012

Bad Form?

mmmm ... lobbying was very effective at the time!
                            We've still not got it right yet but a lot of small commercials that lined in estuaries have been bought out to protect stocks returning to managed rivers.
                            GaryL

Comment

• Paulo
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

One thing we did get right if you ask me is the ban on commercial bass fishing. It might not be properly policed but it has brought the stock from near extinction to almost healthy, my best ones to date are 12lbs 6oz, 11lbs and 10lbs 2oz, all in 24hours

Comment

Working...