PDA

View Full Version : Rebreather and gas donation

WFO
31-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Do you find yourselves diving with other people, if so do you have any donatable gas* kicking about? Where do you put it?

I was considering a second stage on one of those rubber necklace, it would be easily accessed and yoinked out if needed urgently, and could be kept on a fairly long hose from whatever gas is in use. On the other hand is a potentially panicked diver grabbing for something near your neck and DSV a good idea and would you be better off with a normally stowed stage reg? I reckon a necklaced reg is better for me, as I don't have a BOV.

What do you do?

*I'm thinking a CCR buddy would be likely to have their own immediate bailout to hand and any out-of-gas would likely be after a number of minutes of crisis and not immediately, for example if you were diving with somebody on a single cylinder.

nickb
31-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Donate from your bailout

nickb
31-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I do have a BOV, but if I didn't I would necklace an OC reg under my chin just as I did when I dived a twinset, but that would be for me.

I always dive with at least one bailout cylinder and that's equipped with a reg on a 1m hose. That's what I'd donate.

Oh, and Sentinels are shite ;)

Hot Totty
31-12-2012, 12:50 PM
What nick said :)

nickb
31-12-2012, 01:05 PM
What nick said :)Absolutely!

Hot Totty
31-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Absolutely!

Editing after I've posted is cheating :p

Poppins
31-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I agree with nickb :D
and I'd say brief your buddies very clearly before the dive if they are not familiar with CCR. that can only make the situation easier to deal with

Janos
31-12-2012, 01:09 PM
I have a reg on a 2m hose bungeed to my bailout. If diving multiple stages this is on the deepest bailout.

It's very easy to get to, and is always on when diving with OC buddies. On deeper dives, which are with CC divers, then it's pressurised but off and I need to turn it on before use.

Janos

HeBails
31-12-2012, 01:11 PM
It's fine in theory and I'd probably donate gas but it would give me pause to do it as what happens if you're on my bailout and I suddenly need it?
I'm comfortable with somebody like Nick that we could share a single tin on ascent but a random is a totally different beast. If you've run out of gas and have no backup then you're likely to be a little stressed out. If I come back to you and ask for some gas then I have no way of knowing if you've practised sharing a single gas source on ascent while under extreme stress. That's the largest reason why I dive solo whenever there isn't someone around that I trust.

WFO
31-12-2012, 01:22 PM
It's fine in theory and I'd probably donate gas but it would give me pause to do it as what happens if you're on my bailout and I suddenly need it?
I'm comfortable with somebody like Nick that we could share a single tin on ascent but a random is a totally different beast. If you've run out of gas and have no backup then you're likely to be a little stressed out. If I come back to you and ask for some gas then I have no way of knowing if you've practised sharing a single gas source on ascent while under extreme stress. That's the largest reason why I dive solo whenever there isn't someone around that I trust.

I see what you mean there.

The thing for me personally here is the sort of times with randoms along are none or very minimal deco, and that sort of risk with two of you and one gas source is an acceptable risk if you both had a BCD and single so it seems acceptable here too.

Hot Totty
31-12-2012, 01:28 PM
That's multiple failures, so not something I'd get to paranoid over provided dive was terminated the moment oc buddies on your bail. Recreational ccr (one bail out depth and time limited) I'll dive with anyone, 'technical (multiple bail stages ) I'm very choosy :)

dlk
31-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I have a reg on a 2m hose bungeed to my bailout. If diving multiple stages this is on the deepest bailout.

It's very easy to get to, and is always on when diving with OC buddies. On deeper dives, which are with CC divers, then it's pressurised but off and I need to turn it on before use.

Janos

Is it not easy enough to hand off, if necessary?
I have a slight concern that a longer hose might signal it as *the* reg to go for, even if it's hypoxic (though I guess with good stage management it's largely a non-issue). FWIW: I use a yellow hose on my deepest bailout and am considering changing it for that same reason.

Major Clanger
31-12-2012, 03:43 PM
The guidance I was given was long hose, you keep the tin with you, short hose you hand off the tin if needing to donate gas. As I'd prefer to keep the tin with me, I have a longer hose on it. If someone chooses to ignore, for whatever reason, the reg I'm guiding them to then there's only so much you can do to help them, plus at this stage I'm unlikely to use anything weaker than 10/50 so 6m would be the shallowest stop for passing off my reg, my last stop, so hypoxic mix not an issue at that depth if they grab the wrong reg. I think that makes sense, feel free to pick me up on it if not. I too prefer to dive solo; I can predict my own response in a crisis, less so with others. Much better they dive with someone who knows what they're doing.

steve6690
31-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a reg bungeed round my neck that is plugged into my bailout via Omniswivel quick disconnects. For donation each bailout cylinder has another reg on it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jase
31-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I see what you mean there.

The thing for me personally here is the sort of times with randoms along are none or very minimal deco, and that sort of risk with two of you and one gas source is an acceptable risk if you both had a BCD and single so it seems acceptable here too.

Friend of mine was in the water at a well known inland site this year when 2 'randoms' diving on singles approached him with empty cylinders and 30 mins+ deco remaining. Need less to say, both ended up missing a fair chunk of that and were airlifted to the chamber. Clearly some dive planning issues here on their part I would imagine, but I wonder how often this happens on most season dive weekends?

dlk
31-12-2012, 05:38 PM
The guidance I was given was long hose, you keep the tin with you, short hose you hand off the tin if needing to donate gas. As I'd prefer to keep the tin with me, I have a longer hose on it. If someone chooses to ignore, for whatever reason, the reg I'm guiding them to then there's only so much you can do to help them, plus at this stage I'm unlikely to use anything weaker than 10/50 so 6m would be the shallowest stop for passing off my reg, my last stop, so hypoxic mix not an issue at that depth if they grab the wrong reg. I think that makes sense, feel free to pick me up on it if not. I too prefer to dive solo; I can predict my own response in a crisis, less so with others. Much better they dive with someone who knows what they're doing.

Makes sense, and I'm not sure there's a right or wrong here, just stuff to consider.
- They're now on an OC bail-out profile (if CC team member) or lord knows what (random).
- You're on the loop with potentially no breathable offboard bail-out.
- If they're heading for the surface on a hypoxic mix that's not A Good Thing.
Certainly you'd want to - and probably you'd be able to - track stops, but perhaps not, so if it's a non-recoverable gas share, you may well want to hand off anyway since at least then you the option of distance. (Of course, a bungied long hose doesn't preclude this.)

I rotate stages with the aim of keeping the "best" gas top left*, reg on the outside, valve open (everything else closed)... for me, that's the easiest to get to, the one I'd donate and, I think, the one that would grabbed if I don't see them coming. And if it breathes, it's good. If not, it's the wrong tin.
I know having best bail out open risks un-noticed gas loss, but I'm hoping this is mitigated by a cloud of bubbles, gas checks post rotation and immediate access to a breathable gas in an emergency. I'm sure other approaches have other benefits and work at least as well.

*Oh ok, not **always**, but I hope I'd kick myself if I didn't rotate / trail a hypoxic mix once another gas is breathable.

DLK

Major Clanger
31-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I'd be reluctant to hand off my deep bailout, the bov's connnected to it :)

dlk
31-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd be reluctant to hand off my deep bailout, the bov's connnected to it :)

Ha ha... yep, that'd decide it.

DLK

slimey
31-12-2012, 08:51 PM
When I dived with iamyourgasman on his revo, he told me that if I needed air from him, I should take the reg from his bailout, and that if I tried to touch his loop, he'd punch my lights out :)

(See, Tamas, I was listening :) )

Major Clanger
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
When I dived with iamyourgasman on his revo, he told me that if I needed air from him, I should take the reg from his bailout, and that if I tried to touch his loop, he'd punch my lights out :)

(See, Tamas, I was listening :) )

So by inference he doesn't mind you touching him anywhere else ;)

Mark Chase
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I do have a BOV, but if I didn't I would necklace an OC reg under my chin just as I did when I dived a twinset, but that would be for me.

I always dive with at least one bailout cylinder and that's equipped with a reg on a 1m hose. That's what I'd donate.

Oh, and Sentinels are shite ;)

I agree with all of the above

especialy the Sentinal coment :D

jturner
02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm a "donate from bailout" kinda person. The bailout is connected to my BOV so if push comes to shove, we can share - they can have the OC reg. If it really comes to a scrap, I can always use reconnect the BOV to my dil cylinder... but that would be if things got REALLY bad!

Nitnab Nhoj
02-01-2013, 03:56 PM
It could be tricky using one of these new Rec rebreathers rated to 20m without separate bail-out rig!

Simon TW
02-01-2013, 06:46 PM
It could be tricky using one of these new Rec rebreathers rated to 20m without separate bail-out rig!

I'm sure that I saw buddy breathing from the loop on a FFM in a film a while ago :)

timmyg
02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm sure that I saw buddy breathing from the loop on a FFM in a film a while ago :)

Didn't end very well (both the film & the fore mentioned event)

TG

Sent from my iPhone using Timmytalk (hopefully)

iamyourgasman
02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
So by inference he doesn't mind you touching him anywhere else ;)

If he fancies touching a 6'2" bloke in a red drysuit...I had worse happened with me at work ;)