X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chriscamo
    TDF Member
    • Aug 2013

PADI Internship Interview today

Hey guys so only an hour away, anyone have any last minute tips? Feeling nervous
  • Roy
    AKA Devon Diver
    • Dec 2012

I have no idea what a PADI Internship Interview is or entails.

Just be honest I guess.
    Diving is life, the rest is just surface interval!
    http://www.alderneywreck.com/
    www.thediveforum.com

Comment

• gpj
      Octopus Ink Team
      • Dec 2012

Probably how much time and money are you prepared to give them.

Good luck anyway
      Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Comment

• Hawk13
        Doing It Rong
        • May 2013

Tell them that your 2 passions in life are working for nothing and pushing wothless cert cards - that should seal the deal

Comment

• ChristianG
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

You might gather that PADI, or rather its money grubbing side, is not exactly flavour-du-jour around here.

Comment

• chriscamo
            TDF Member
            • Aug 2013

Yeah Ive noticed that ... Didn't realise there was such sarcastic rivalry haha

Comment

• Squidge
              Mrs Turbanator
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by chriscamo
              Yeah Ive noticed that ... Didn't realise there was such sarcastic rivalry haha
              How did it go?
              'Every time I go in the water I don't know what I'll find. And I always return amazed at the animals that let me into their world' - Brian Skerry.

'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - Tidders

Comment

• chriscamo
                TDF Member
                • Aug 2013

The boss is late and will be here at 4pm .. So enjoying the sun

Comment

• Hawk13
                  Doing It Rong
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by ChristianG
                  You might gather that PADI, or rather its money grubbing side, is not exactly flavour-du-jour around here.
                  Oddly, I've got nothing against PADI and dive with a PADI club.

But ...... I've also had / seen piss poor service from PADI dive centres.

And to add balance, my local BSAC club didn't make me feel welcome at all and I'm currently training with TDI.

Comment

• Bryte
                    TDF Member
                    • Aug 2013

PADI, gave me the ability to get in the water and experience the magic of diving.
                    With my OW cert, my local BSAC wanted to relieve me of several hundred pounds for the privilege of swimming about in a 4ft deep puddle over the next year or so.
                    Guess l will stick with PADI and dives with friends.

Comment

• CraigofScotland
                      Needing a poo
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Bryte
                      PADI, gave me the ability to get in the water and experience the magic of diving.
                      With my OW cert, my local BSAC wanted to relieve me of several hundred pounds for the privilege of swimming about in a 4ft deep puddle over the next year or so.
                      Guess l will stick with PADI and dives with friends.

WIth my padi ow cert I had done 4 dives and could barely get my fins on myself, never mind navigate a dive or rescue a buddy propperly.

Dont beleive the hype when they tell you you're super qualified and ready to go after those 4 dives. You're really not. Its not an agency bash or a dig at you, I did the padi OW and realised of the bat I needed more training and more importantly, training for the enviroment in which we dive over here.

And dont be silly, you wont be diving shallow for a year. Speak to a different bsac/saa/etc club about time frames n stuff.

FYI bsac training depth is still deeper than your OW ticket, if your worried about losing diving oppertunities
                      Last edited by CraigofScotland; 22-08-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• chriscamo
                        TDF Member
                        • Aug 2013

Well turned up , and can see the money grabbing as they asked for £700 for me to start as an intern .. Um no .

Comment

• Tris
                          TDF Member
                          • Jun 2013

What are your reasons for doing the internship? What is your current situation that is making you go down that road? Ultimately you know why you are doing it as an internship and not paying for it up front, you will get out of it what you put in. One thing I would say is it is an internship for a reason and the centre will expect some work from you to gain the certs. That said it will be much more beneficial than jusy attending a course at a centre.

You will get experience of how a centre runs and it will open your eyes to if it is something you would want to do as a job rather than just recreation.

Guys lets not ruin the post and turn it into the oldest winge in the book of PADI Vs BSAC... No point having a forum full of useless replies to genuine questions, someone in future may do a search relating to the above and end up reading so much negative info on PADI/BSAC they decide to start up Golf!

If you dont like it do one to another forum if you have no constructive input that adds to the forum.

Comment

• CraigofScotland
                            Needing a poo
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tris
                            If you dont like it do one to another forum if you have no constructive input that adds to the forum.
                            you must be a bit touchy. I gave a genuine reply to someone, no insulting, just based on my relativly recent experience based on someones misconception of something . . its a forum after all . . there was no bashing, padis great in egypt.

Comment

• Tris
                              TDF Member
                              • Jun 2013

£700!

£700!! What level are you now? What would that £700 have gone towards?

Be interesting to hear the full facts of the story before slagging them off but £700 sounds steep.

Comment

Working...