PDA

View Full Version : Razor/scallop diving

divecookie
13-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Hello, anyone got any experience of razor or scallop diving? I'm looking at giving it a go and wondered of anyone could share some experiences or tips.

Cheers

BTS
13-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I dive for scallops a lot, advice? Pick them up and put them in your bag, there is sod all else too it. Be sure you know the minimum size and any fallow periods for the area you are in {i.e. Devon fisheries area off season is July Aug Sept} and don't take more than you can reasonably use, they do freeze but obviously are better fresh....

A couple of dozen can be a ball ache to ascend with so a lift bag might be favourite.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/183442/minimumfishsizes.pdf

razors are best collected for the beach at low tide, pour salt down their hole and the pop out for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra-PVV1oblQ

notdeadyet
13-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Or dig them with a pointy stick but it takes a lot of skill. They are quick little buggers and surprisingly strong in sand.

If clam diving for profit you've got a whole world of legislation to comply with. For the pot then size and season.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Chase
13-08-2013, 06:33 PM
For scallops get low and look for the furrey mouths that are open. Once you have seen one or two its easy to see the rest but I am constatly amazed by divers who just cant spot them..

ATB

Mark

BTS
13-08-2013, 07:27 PM
For scallops get low and look for the furrey mouths that are open. Once you have seen one or two its easy to see the rest but I am constatly amazed by divers who just cant spot them..

ATB

Mark

As you approach they will close and a little puff of sand will be pumped out.. this is a give away..

They like shale and mud... As Mark says, once you get your eye in you will spot them easily, they tend to cluster so if you find one have a good look around that area...

SoggyBottoms
13-08-2013, 08:10 PM
I always look for their eyes. works for me.
don't have the sun behind you or the little critters go harrypotterinvisibilitycloak

Chriselliott
13-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I went diving for scallops last week

Found this instead

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/14/jamy5a6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, whilst having a dump

Spirit of Guernsey
13-08-2013, 09:56 PM
You found a frying pan?

Paulo
13-08-2013, 10:02 PM
You found a frying pan?

Thought it was the hot plate, I was disgusted, he didn't even dry it first

divecookie
14-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the replys. Anyone ever done it commercially working off a boat?

Cheers

N Bailey
14-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Best you read this.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/hid/osd/scallop.pdf

Richie
14-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Oh for the days when a customer would ring up and ask for 5 dozen for that evening.
An hour or so over a lunch break and job done.
:-)
Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

purple vonny
14-08-2013, 10:01 AM
A friend brought us some razor clams for the barbie. He goes along the beach at low tide and squirts salty water (from a table salt container) in the holes - then they pop out. We ended up cooking them in the oven for 5 minutes, they looked like willies!!

I would find them impossible to spot when diving. But then I'm half blind and quite old.

Edit: just saw BTS's video in post 2. That's the way to do it!

Foggy
14-08-2013, 10:22 AM
....squirts salty water (from a table salt container) in the holes - then they pop out.

........ they looked like willies!!

...... then I'm half blind and quite old.

OMG I fear an incident ......;);)

Squidge
14-08-2013, 12:53 PM
A friend brought us some razor clams for the barbie. He goes along the beach at low tide and squirts salty water (from a table salt container) in the holes - then they pop out. We ended up cooking them in the oven for 5 minutes, they looked like willies!!

I would find them impossible to spot when diving. But then I'm half blind and quite old.

Edit: just saw BTS's video in post 2. That's the way to do it!

What do they taste like?

Razors, not willies.

purple vonny
14-08-2013, 01:21 PM
What do they taste like?

Razors, not willies. :)

Very chewy. Like rubber and fish. Not bad though if you like that sort of thing. I just like free grub. (and not very fishy)

Squidge
14-08-2013, 01:59 PM
:)

Very chewy. Like rubber and fish. Not bad though if you like that sort of thing. I just like free grub. (and not very fishy)

Ah, sounds a bit like whelks. I always have to give up with them as they take too long to eat. Like seafood-flavoured chewing gum.

IanB
14-08-2013, 02:02 PM
What do they taste like? Razors,Pretty good, I had them steamed along with scallops at a Chinese seafood restaurant (Good Friend in Highams Park) well worth a visit.
not willies. I'll give them a miss, steamed or not :D