PDA

View Full Version : rEvo 3 reliability

Mr Flibble
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm mulling over switching to an MCCR/HCCR and like the look/design of the rEvo3. My first (of most probably many) questions, and I realise that most people will wax lyrical about their current unit, is what are rEvo owners views on the reliability of their units? Any known design flaws/common failures/general problem areas that you've encountered? I understand that everything will fail at some point but just trying to gauge if there are common or known failure points and if the units in general are robust and reliable.

Humour me. :D

Johnr
10-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Why are you thinking of switching?

gordyp
10-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Only thing I've had fail on mine was the shearwater cable. Not bad as my unit was the first Revo3 and has now done a load of diving.

Mr Flibble
10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi John,
As much as I like the the Vision, I like the design of the Revo. The simplicity of MCCR appeals to me. The scrubber design and low profile of the Revo is appealling and the HCCR uses Shearwater which I'm now a fan of.
I've never actually seen one in the flesh let alone dived one but just have this notion to check them out with a view to maybe changing. :nod:

Dsix36
10-08-2013, 10:12 PM
The ADV can be a real PITA to get adjusted to your personal liking.

Some people have had issues with the new RMS systems.

If you get the aluminum MAV, it will corrode very quickly and easily. Make sure to get the delrin one to prevent this.

It is almost impossible to dump water from the loop, but to be fair, it really isn't an issue in 99.99% of the dives and if you have bailout it is a moot point.

I have used and abused my rEvo and it has not let me down yet. I can actually say that I trust it to perform. I still do not dive alpinist, but I feel that I could do so safely.

JPTaylor
11-08-2013, 09:25 AM
I've never actually seen one in the flesh let alone dived one but just have this notion to check them out with a view to maybe changing. :nod:

I've seen very few on dives in UK, did see one recently! My point is there is a lot to be said for diving a unit that's commonly used, borrowing spares is easier & more shared knowledge.

Vision's have a huge user base in UK, easy to sell on later.

hippytyre
11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I love the revo too but I'm going for a vision first, looking for one now actually.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Dsix36
11-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I've seen very few on dives in UK, did see one recently! My point is there is a lot to be said for diving a unit that's commonly used, borrowing spares is easier & more shared knowledge.

There is a lot of truth and common sense in this statement, but someone has to get the ball rolling. I was one of the first to get a rEvo in my area and I felt Like I was taking a big chance. Parts and service were still only in Belguim and no other units around me for help or spares. My area is now rEvo central and you can't hardly get on a boat without seeing them.

rEvo units tend to be very reliable and spares are much fewer than some other units. They can also be entirely user serviceable except for the Shearwater computers.

hippytyre
11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I've seen one up here in Scotland/Tayside.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Simon TW
11-08-2013, 02:10 PM
You'll think me biased but if there was a better rebreather available then I would own it.

Two years Warranty and 5 year service interval (return to factory or service centre). There is very little to go wrong. It really is that simple.

Spares that you may need consist of batteries and I like to keep some mushroom valves. You won't need anything else. I've only ever needed to replace one mushroom valve in someone else's unit.

Every year there's dive fest. Two weeks of tech diving and we normally have about 15 rEvos here. There's never an issue, nobody ever misses a dive and the dive centre is always amazed how smoothly it all goes.

Quite often folk come out and forget things like cylinder brackets or scrubbers so I keep spares in Hurghada. Earlier in the year I had three guys doing a trimix course and all the cylinders were tie wrapped on for the first day.

It's a very easy unit to live with.

hodge close
11-08-2013, 05:21 PM
You'll think me biased ...

Not at all. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

deepunderground
11-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Vision's have a huge user base in UK, easy to sell on later.

Only I'd sed units go wrong regularly and are in need or repair in the first place...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

iamyourgasman
11-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Very reliable from a 1.0 user. I currently have a nagging issue with my rMS setup: it's eating the SAFT batteries! It doesn't stop me diving, but have to be careful not leaving the Shearwater connected overnight. Paul from rEvo HQ and SimonTW could not have been more helpful and we are on the case of identifying the problem. I think it will transpire to the diveCAN boards being the culprit, but as I'm not at home ATM I can't run the necessary tests again.
Apart from this I never had a problem with the unit (I had user errors, but not design/build faults). It just works. Yes, you can't get rid of the water from the counterlungs, but you can mitigate this risk. A user error left me with about a litre of seawater in the exhale counterlung on a 50m dive the other day, but apart from the annoying gurgling I didn't have any ill effects. A good quality car valet shamwow can trap a lot of water!

Simon TW
12-08-2013, 07:36 AM
:) :)

Simon A
12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I've currently got an old (2007) revo 2, I bought it second hand, and all I've had to replace on it is O2 cells and batteries, I replace the mushroom valves every year as a service item, but I've not had one fail.
The only thing to note (which is covered in the manual) is you need to rinse the manual add buttons in fresh water after diving or they become "sticky".
HTH
Simon A

Mark Chase
12-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Visions are good units but when they break its dive trip over back to the factory for repair

rEvos are also good units but when they break theres always a way to carry on diving the unit safley and it likley you can fix it with a prety basic tool kit ot remove the item thats broken and carry on diving the rest of the unit.

Of all the units I have owned the rEvo is the easiest to mount seconday monitoring on and you dont get any crap from Paul about it.

My freinds on Visions are all running Narked @ 90 cells and cant now send their units in for service as APD insist on fitting AP cells and binning the N@90 ones I also had a simila problem with my aftermarket HUD and AP.

Its great saying loads of visions so loads of spares, but the only spare you reely need with a Vision is a compleet spare head and thats unlikley to be knocking arround on the dive boat.

Down side with the rEvo is if you flood it you need three new cells.

Yes the ADV is crap but all the other things that go wrong can usualy be fixed with a good soak in warm water or Biox

I sold the rEvo for travel reasions (weighting and transport) reliabuility wasnt an issue

ATB

Mark

WFO
12-08-2013, 10:57 AM
The scrubber design is brilliant, the RMS system if you went for that is really cool, and it's a very redundant unit and very obvious how it all goes together. Would be nice to add isolator for ADV though.
On the other hand... zero flood tolerance.

I've only had a brief gander but they look to be built like a brick shithouse too.

Mr Flibble
13-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks fo all the replys guys, appreciate the input.
I'm liking the simplistic, reliability of MCCR more and more.
I take the point on no flood tolerance, and also no dual battery system. Both of which I'd lose if changing from my Vision. I guess thats what bailout if for. Just need to weigh up the pro's and cons of both units and decide.
Did I read somewhere that rEvo had upp'ed the IP on their 1st stages to allow CMF down to 100m? I may have misread/misunderstood this though.
I suppose with the HCCR you can choose your setup (full MCCR, HCCR parachute, full ECCR) dependent on the dive you plan to do.
Just need to make a decision on where my CCR diving is going.
Maybe see about a try dive as a first off as I've only ever dived eCCR.

Thanks again.

gordyp
13-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks fo all the replys guys, appreciate the input.
I'm liking the simplistic, reliability of MCCR more and more.
I take the point on no flood tolerance, and also no dual battery system. Both of which I'd lose if changing from my Vision. I guess thats what bailout if for. Just need to weigh up the pro's and cons of both units and decide.
Did I read somewhere that rEvo had upp'ed the IP on their 1st stages to allow CMF down to 100m? I may have misread/misunderstood this though.
I suppose with the HCCR you can choose your setup (full MCCR, HCCR parachute, full ECCR) dependent on the dive you plan to do.
Just need to make a decision on where my CCR diving is going.
Maybe see about a try dive as a first off as I've only ever dived eCCR.

Thanks again.

No idea where you're based, you're welcome to have a gander at my unit albeit it doesn't have RMS fitted.

Simon TW
13-08-2013, 12:42 PM
The interstage pressure has been increased on the rMS as the new CMF orifice is smaller. It does give a flow of O2 up to about 110 meters dependent on the IP. The flow isn't matching the metabolic rate though. Explained here http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/uploads/downloadsitems/Understanding_Constant_Mass_Flow.pdf

Mr Flibble
14-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Cheers guys.
Thanks Gordy. I'm in Glasgow. You still got the RHIB down at Largs? Mine is in there now, I'll be down there on Sunday if your about. No worries if not as I'll probably arrange a try dive on a unit at some point. :-)

Hickdive
14-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Cheers guys.
Thanks Gordy. I'm in Glasgow. You still got the RHIB down at Largs? Mine is in there now, I'll be down there on Sunday if your about. No worries if not as I'll probably arrange a try dive on a unit at some point. :-)

Watch out for his "special" diluent, the yellow cylinder with 5% Rohypnol vapour.

boxer
26-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I have owned and dived a rEvo 111 for a year and a half. Brilliant unit very easy to dive and faultless at depth. Have had a few niggly little problems all of which were resolved very quickly and professionally by rEvo. A big plus is that you are dealing directly with the units designer/manufacturer Paul who apart from having a Belgian sense of humour is 110% professional responding immediately to queries and diagnosing and delivering solutions by text/email often out of hours- a real professional who knows the product he designs and sells inside out and has the confidence to himself dive a standard unit to 200m+ and is a very active diver himself. I would also heartily endorse Simon TW UK/Egypt rEvo instructor as a brilliant instructor, genuine guy, storyteller, genial host and diving enthusiast who took my mates & I to MOD1 2 & 3. We did our courses with Simon in El Gouna in Egypt which is a sort of a "Little Venice" of a country within a country - no trouble even at height of Arab Spring plus its cheap and really good food- If I was buying a rebreather/choosing an instructor no question it would be rEvo/Simon TW again with zero hesitation.

Simon TW
30-04-2014, 05:11 AM
I have owned and dived a rEvo 111 for a year and a half. Brilliant unit very easy to dive and faultless at depth. Have had a few niggly little problems all of which were resolved very quickly and professionally by rEvo. A big plus is that you are dealing directly with the units designer/manufacturer Paul who apart from having a Belgian sense of humour is 110% professional responding immediately to queries and diagnosing and delivering solutions by text/email often out of hours- a real professional who knows the product he designs and sells inside out and has the confidence to himself dive a standard unit to 200m+ and is a very active diver himself. I would also heartily endorse Simon TW UK/Egypt rEvo instructor as a brilliant instructor, genuine guy, storyteller, genial host and diving enthusiast who took my mates & I to MOD1 2 & 3. We did our courses with Simon in El Gouna in Egypt which is a sort of a "Little Venice" of a country within a country - no trouble even at height of Arab Spring plus its cheap and really good food- If I was buying a rebreather/choosing an instructor no question it would be rEvo/Simon TW again with zero hesitation.

I would like to endorse everything that Boxer has said, especially the bit about me. Cheers Gus :)

Mark Chase
30-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I owned a RevoII hybrid

As mentioned the ADV is a bit of a pain to get just the right feel on it and make sure the IP is set corectly if you go below 60m or it will free flow.

The rear mounted 02 and dill inject buttons need regular maintinance to stop them getting sticky. Having a jammed on 02 add is a big issue IMHO. I quickly swaped my one to a front mounted KISS type manual injector whic couldent be easier on the super flexable and easy to work on rEvo

Cleening the unit and working on it is realy easy even if it is a slight pain laying it flat to flush out the CLs

Theres some internal micro plumbing you cant get at without taking the SS case apart and I found this a minor iritation when preping the unit for big dives and wanting to be 100% sure it was all working.

As mentioned before the unit in SS Midi size is in need of a stand for UK boat diving and its to heavy for me for wet suit or minimal dry suit diving (2kg ultra light Hammond Membrain and Arctic base layer for mexico)

I dont like the dreems and swaped for a Shearwater HUD but the standared Shearwater display is of course the nuts.

If you go on trips you need three spare cells because if you flood it you will trash all the cells in one go but they are not prone to flooding.

If swapping from an inspo be warned the Inspo has fantastic flood recovery and the rEvo doesent. Id Alpinist on a Inspo if I had too but not on a rEvo

So doom and gloom?

No quite the opposit. Yes it has a few niggles but its a stunning unit and I personaly would buy another one over a Vision any day. It dives beautifully, its sooooooo nice to live with and its super reliable. Aside from the cell thing & flooding its has to be the most "in the field" repairable unit I have ever owned and you can if you chose dive (IMHO) safley arround multiple failures

I currently dive a JJ and previously owned Inspo Classic, Inspo HH, KISS & rEvo Hybrid

Today if I had to buy a CCR again id get the KISS but id probably buy the rEvo over my JJ if I had to have an ECCR option just because the JJ is insainly expensive. Arguably a better unit but no so much as to justifie the price UNLESS like me you want to get the whole thing in overhead baggage lockers. In which case the JJ just pips the rEvo on ease of doing that.

Petes Vision in its crate awaiting the fork lift truck :D and my JJ 20kg in its OH locker bag (all parts except stand are in the bag.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/Spain2013/IMG_3493_zps672cdd63.jpg

ATB

Mark

Justin Owen
30-04-2014, 02:34 PM
I dived a rEvo II HCCR for best part of two years, from basic UK sports diving to 75M Trimix in Egypt & Malin Head... The unit never missed a dive in all that time... The only problem I ever had was a broken internal cable on one of the dreams meaning one of the HUD led's didn't work. This was factory repaired & upgraded quickly, and i didn't have to stop diving the unit as mine had two dreams fitted...

Most of my diving was off a RIB - which was one of the reasons I chose the rEvo, it's pretty much bomb proof and can take some rough conditions!

I could endorse Simon TW too, but he made me do an exam for Mod2 so I won't...! :D