PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Suunto Vytec

Jay_Benson
17-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I have recently been given a poorly Suunto Vytec computer. The reason for the poorliness is uncertain so I will describe the symptoms:

The Vytec switches on when it hits the water and gives the date / time / temperature display. During the dive there is no switching over to any diving mode - it just sticks at the date / time / temperature display. When I held the mode button down it did the normal Suunto switch on as it does on the surface and after a while it dropped back to the date / time / temperature display.

I think that there is a problem with the pressure sensing side of the computer but wondered if anyone else had similar issues. For the record it is in Nitrox mode, 21% - it used to work OK but the former owner fidled with it - I am wondering whether he could have changed something in the set up that gives these symptoms.

Any answers?

Thanks in advance

edward
17-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Sounds like no pressure sensor working, but wet contacts are. That said, it is only a guess. I would speak to them direct, they are super helpful

Address
Unit 14, Farringdon Business Park, Lower Farringdon, Alton, Hampshire GU34 3DZ England

Web site
Etusivu - Suunto (http://www.suunto.fi)
Contact
01420-587272, 01420-587225 (fax)

Jay_Benson
17-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Sounds like no pressure sensor working, but wet contacts are. That said, it is only a guess. I would speak to them direct, they are super helpful

Address
Unit 14, Farringdon Business Park, Lower Farringdon, Alton, Hampshire GU34 3DZ England

Web site
Etusivu - Suunto (http://www.suunto.fi)
Contact
01420-587272, 01420-587225 (fax)

Thank you.

Stumo
17-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I agree - it sounds like what happened to mine, I sent it back to suunto who said "sorry, it's beyond economical repair". They offered me a "cheap" replacement, but for the same price I could get a new one (with full warrantee) from online

SimonB
22-07-2013, 12:34 PM
My Gekko has done exactly the same, funny thing is it seems to work OK in the pool down to about 5m, but last 2 dives in the sea its not registered any depth or time. 10 years old, so just going to replace it

Jay_Benson
24-07-2013, 11:04 AM
It is a dead pressure sensor and so beyond economic repair - offered me a new Vyper Air for about 100 less than I can get on the net so I may go with that. C'est la vie.