PDA

View Full Version : OSTC3 Firmware updates

Rob Dobson
07-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I have just updated the firmware on an OSTC3 and it literally could not be any easier!

Where's NickB???

Literally plugged the computer into my Mac. Started the companion app, clicked reconnect and the OSTC3 and Mac found each other.

Clicked upgrade firmware, navigated to the location and clicked OK.

That was it. I didn't even have to reboot the OSTC!

My gran could do this!

Damienbt
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Have you dived it yet?
Whats it like? I have a OSTC 2n and was debating if to swap it or not. Have you noticed much difference?
Also like to look of the new DRx but that's out my price range.

Ken Hawk
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Why would you need to update the software, it's only being out a week.

Genuine question?

Rob Dobson
08-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Have you dived it yet?
Whats it like? I have a OSTC 2n and was debating if to swap it or not. Have you noticed much difference?
Also like to look of the new DRx but that's out my price range.

The DRx isn't out yet and still got no release date for it.

The OSTC3 isn't an updated 2n it's a new computer. Physically they look and feel completely different and the menu system and options are completely rewritten for the 3.

The 2/2n give the user a huge amount of configuration options whereas the 3 is more geared towards just letting you to change the things that you really need to setup to go diving.

In this respect the 3 sits between the frog and the 2. As a bit of kit I prefer the 3 but other opinions are available; Colin and I were talking this over earlier and he sides with the 2.

Rob Dobson
08-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Genuine question?

Early niggles being ironed out. Nothing that's a safety risk.

There was a bug fix for an erroneous low battery warning for diving in cold water released yesterday. It won't be the last, there's another lined up for release shortly that adds a graphic to the compass bearing.

daviesjez
08-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Slightly off topic, don't suppose there is any eta on when the next stable release will be for the 2/2n? There have been loads of betas since 2.50 with lots of new features, but there doesn't seem to be any stable release forthcoming.....?

Rob Dobson
09-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Slightly off topic, don't suppose there is any eta on when the next stable release will be for the 2/2n? There have been loads of betas since 2.50 with lots of new features, but there doesn't seem to be any stable release forthcoming.....?

I don't know when it will be released but I know that they have a lot on at the moment and the thing that's holding up the next GA release is proving quite time consuming to resolve. They won't cut corners so it will take as long as it takes.

Dave Lev
09-05-2013, 02:01 AM

Genuine question?

At any given time, all software can be tweaked to add features or remove bugs. If you wait for it to be perfect, it will be obsolete before it would ever be released. It is normal to get a working version to market and continue development afterwards.

The number of people looking at the product in the first week after release is a significant jump. Feature requests (and bug reports) will jump too.

Here Wikipedia's take on "agile" software development:
Agile software development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development)
It is a set of understood methodologies used in large software projects. Even small projects (like dive computer software) will be influenced by the practices: don't start with a rigid plan but rather get working revisions of software to customers so that they can influence the direction of future revisions. Rinse and repeat.

jb2cool
09-05-2013, 06:11 AM
I'll add to that;

Since it's an Open Source dive Computer users are able to write/modify the software for it. You want a change? You make a change. I don't see or hear of any of this happening, as far as I know this is being used just like any other dive computer.

Stan
09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I had a bug with my computer.

Gotta give it to Rob and Deep Ideas though, called them at 0900, replacement arrived the next day. So it was a non-issue for me. I had a weekend away diving booked, had a 3 not been available, a 2 would've been provided so that I could dive.

It's not the problems you have, it's how they are dealt with. I have no problems recommending the 3 or Deep Ideas.

Now I've been bloody blown out - a sodding week a DIY awaits!

Rob - I'll give you a call tomorrow to sort out returning the original.

Stan.

gordon mackie
07-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I would agree, loaded companion on Windows and Mac and both are a breeze, download the latest firmware, start companion and reconnect and update and it is done. Really like the mk3, great display, good menus and the buttons are fine, even with 5mm mitts after an hour in 2 degrees C

dwhitlow
07-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I'll add to that;

Since it's an Open Source dive Computer users are able to write/modify the software for it. You want a change? You make a change. I don't see or hear of any of this happening, as far as I know this is being used just like any other dive computer.
I think Nigel Hewitt has been writing his own code for the OSTC. There is nothing to stop you doing the same.