X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenL
    Gimme a medal
    • Dec 2012

How to - stick pockets to your drysuit

No diving for me this weekend so I thought I'd stick some pockets to my drysuit. I bought the pockets and glue from Hammond Drysuits. After a question posed on here, I settled for velcro types. The pockets are cordura, and the adhesive is Bostik 2402 with D.10 accelerator/hardener. I shoved a 12L cylinder down the drysuit leg to a) give a bit of form to work with, and b) I have what's laughably called a "comfort zip" fitted to my suit, so it's difficult to lay flat when side-on).

The first step is to figure out where you want to put your pockets. No point in debating which is best here, as it's not Friday, and frankly it's not relevant (although anywhere other than front or side-thigh would be utterly ridiculous). I opted for sidemounting, as it's all the rage at the moment.

Mark out the position with tailor's chalk or crayon.

After keying the surface with some fine-ish (180 grit) sandpaper, clean the area with thinners or Cotol (if you can get it). It's a good idea to mask off the area to be glued with tape to keep everything neat.

Bostik 2402 was used, mixed with D.10 accelerator/hardener. Hammond supply this in a 250ml tin, with a pre-measured vial of hardener. The datasheet suggests mixing these either in the ratios/quantities supplied, or 100 parts glue / 6 parts hardener. I'd asked about this, and it turns out you need about half a pot of glue per pocket, so as I was doing two pockets I chucked all the hardener into the tin, replaced the lid a shook it all up for a few minutes. Apply a thin coat to each surface.

After the first coat is dry (the datasheet says 10-15 mins, but it was a nice day with a bit of a breeze so it was about 5 mins here) apply the second coat, but just do about an inch around the edges and two lines across the diagonals. Wait for this coat to dry and repeat as per second coat.

When the final coat is dry to the touch, remove the tape.

At this point I would advise sitting down for a few minutes, perhaps have a smoke/beer/whatever to gird your loins for the next step...
    Take a piece of paper (I found greaseproof paper/baking parchment to be better than the slice of A4 pictured) and put it between the two prepared and aligned surfaces.

As you withdraw the paper, the idea is to progressively stick the two parts together - a very strong bond will happen in a very short amount of time, so the chances of you aligning pocket and suit in one shot are practically nil. Go over the edges and inside the pocket with a seam roller.

And hey presto! you have a pocket, stuck to your suit, ready to be used in anger after around 12-24hrs curing time.

Use up the rest of the tin of glue by doing the same on the other leg, and you'll have two pockets. If you want to be super-neat, you could tape the edges, or at least clean up the overspill, but I'm sure your lives are too short.
    Cost: about £40/side, inc glue.

Thanks for reading!
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution
  • iamyourgasman
    rEvo-lution
    • Dec 2012

How to - stick pockets to your drysuit

Thanks for taking the time to document the process. I might be tempted to do it myself!

Comment

• Woz
      All hail ZOM
      • Dec 2012

Bet you £1 they peel off
      I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Comment

• ziggi
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Woz
        Bet you £1 they peel off
        mine didn't and they were fitted several years ago,compressed neo suit and neo backed pocket though if that makes a differance

Comment

• Woz
          All hail ZOM
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ziggi
          mine didn't and they were fitted several years ago,compressed neo suit and neo backed pocket though if that makes a differance
          That's cos I am shite at gluing.
          I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Comment

• ziggi
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Woz
            That's cos I am shite at gluing.
            I never said i was good at it,just whack it on,then whack on some more,if i was vain id have got a shop to do a nice neat job

Comment

• Ian_6301
              Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
              • Jan 2013

So, after losing my "thread it on your harness webbing and secure with a weight belt buckle" pouch somewhere N of Start Point at the weekend, here's the sequence of events from yesterday:

Had a BBQ and a few beers and Pimmses

Read this thread

Felt jolly brave

Got on the tinterweb and ordered me up a gucci looking new pocket to go on my suit, plus a new spare mask, spool, double enders and book of wet notes that had formed the contents of the lost pocket...

Went to bed

Woke up this morning, realised what I'd done.

Felt less brave

Called Andark and booked the suit in to get the pocket fitted by Jo, whose glueing and sticking is infinitely more betterer that mine!

Job Jobbed. Just waiting for the internet to talk to the posty and get my order here soonish!
              Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Ian_6301
                Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ziggi
                I never said i was good at it,just whack it on,then whack on some more,if i was vain id have got a shop to do a nice neat job

OK, it's also cos I'm vain.

And there's also a Rule 6 issue there too, probably...
                Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• BenL
                  Gimme a medal
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Woz
                  Bet you £1 they peel off
                  Damn you! Where's the "not like" button :middlefinger:

Let you know...
                  I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Comment

• Chrisch
                    Tofu eating wokerato
                    • Jan 2013

Thanks Ben, I've done this OK in the past with Evo Stik but it seems the new "un-sniffable" version is now utter shite. I will try the Bostik when I next need to glue something.
                    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Woz
                      All hail ZOM
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BenL
                      Damn you! Where's the "not like" button :middlefinger:

Let you know...
                      Mine peeled off. Aquasure and some bricks sorted it.

Comment

• Goldwinger
                        User Account Removed
                        • Aug 2013

Very useful thread. Need to add pockets to mine and am lucky in that Hammonds is only a 20min drive away so will be heading over there to see what goodies that can sell me.
                        My suit had latex neck and cuffs and I managed to rip the neck so took it to them recently for a new one. Went for neo rather than latex. Blooming squeeze to get it on and off but oh so much better than the old latex seal. This one works !

Comment

• Cyberdrake
                          New TDF Member
                          • Oct 2014

Have any of you try in a DUI TLS350? Works with aquaseal?

Comment

• PBrown
                            TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Cyberdrake
                            Have any of you try in a DUI TLS350? Works with aquaseal?
                            You want a two-part glue, Bostik 2402 or Dunlop S2000.

Given your location I'd suggest you go and talk to the guys at Zero Gravity.

cheers,
                            Paul

Comment

Working...