PDA

View Full Version : Replacement valve disks for old-style mouthpiece on KISS Classic

buxtonmarauder
07-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Title says it all really.. can anyone suggest a better place to obtain replacement valve disks for an old-style mouthpiece on a KISS Classic other than from KISS themselves at $40 ?

Any suggestions especially if they include "you can cut up xx margerine tub and use that" are welcome ;-)

Ta

notdeadyet
07-04-2013, 09:18 PM
They are made by Interspiro. I can't recall the part number but I'm pretty sure it will be listed somewhere on either YD or Burgerworld. Their office is in Shropshire IIRC.

EDIT, see this thread: Parts Price confirmation please? - Rebreather World (http://www.rebreatherworld.com/kiss-classic-and-sport-rebreathers/25249-parts-price-confirmation-please.html#post243980)

Barrygoss
07-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Title says it all really.. can anyone suggest a better place to obtain replacement valve disks for an old-style mouthpiece on a KISS Classic other than from KISS themselves at $40 ?

Any suggestions especially if they include "you can cut up xx margerine tub and use that" are welcome ;-)

Ta

what do you mean? flapper valves for the BOV or exhaust valves for the reg?

Regards
B

Barrygoss
07-04-2013, 09:24 PM
BOV flapper valves are brought in packs of 10 (enough to last a few lifetimes) from interspiro - part number 336190264 on the bag in front of me. PM me an address and I'll stick two in the post

regards
B

buxtonmarauder
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
what do you mean? flapper valves for the BOV or exhaust valves for the reg?

flapper valves..

dived the unit today and the inlet flapper came off the central screw - cue strange sensor behaviour..

Mike_123
07-04-2013, 09:51 PM
flapper valves..

dived the unit today and the inlet flapper came off the central screw - cue strange sensor behaviour..
Strange sensor behaviour ? Not sure why that would be, and it would be the least of your worries. Cue CO2 hit !

Flappers are best checked every time the kit is put together. Carefully too - I had one (inhale) that looked ok dry and was a ragged mess when wet. Gave me a couple of bad headaches before I realised what the headaches were about and what caused them. No idea how close I was to getting a hit, but I was presumably on my way to one.

buxtonmarauder
07-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Strange sensor behaviour ? Not sure why that would be, and it would be the least of your worries. Cue CO2 hit !

Flappers are best checked every time the kit is put together. Carefully too - I had one (inhale) that looked ok dry and was a ragged mess when wet. Gave me a couple of bad headaches before I realised what the headaches were about and what caused them. No idea how close I was to getting a hit, but I was presumably on my way to one.

funny, you're not the only person who has told me this..

You do know how close you were to a CO2 hit..?.. operation of the flapper valves is a quick check as you're putting the unit together.

I knew it wasn't a good thing (after I took it apart in the garage), however, it happened on dive 2 of the day.. I did the flapper test last night before I packed the car and it was fine (but maybe I sucked too hard ?). I did not check it before dive 1 or dive 2.

Is that something that I should check before EVERY dive ?

I flushed the loop with O2 to check the sensors and then pre-breathed it for about 4-5 mins and all seemed fine.

There was a definite moment on the dive when the breathing noise changed (which I guess was the flapper disconnecting from the central retaining screw) and that was when the sensors started showing weird changes in values. I switched to OC via the bov and back again probably 4 times and flushed the loop with diluent to see if it would fix the problem. I also turned the dive at this point and started ascending (up a slope) and the displays calmed down a bit so I decided whatever the problem was had fixed itself.

I did wonder whether I'd had a CO2 hit because I had a massive headache after both dives but, as the water was 4 degs, I decided that it must have been ice-cream-head ;-)

Mike_123
07-04-2013, 11:39 PM
funny, you're not the only person who has told me this..

I knew it wasn't a good thing (after I took it apart in the garage), however, it happened on dive 2 of the day.. I did the flapper test last night before I packed the car and it was fine (but maybe I sucked too hard ?). I did not check it before dive 1 or dive 2.

Is that something that I should check before EVERY dive ?

I flushed the loop with O2 to check the sensors and then pre-breathed it for about 4-5 mins and all seemed fine.

There was a definite moment on the dive when the breathing noise changed (which I guess was the flapper disconnecting from the central retaining screw) and that was when the sensors started showing weird changes in values. I switched to OC via the bov and back again probably 4 times and flushed the loop with diluent to see if it would fix the problem. I also turned the dive at this point and started ascending (up a slope) and the displays calmed down a bit so I decided whatever the problem was had fixed itself.

I did wonder whether I'd had a CO2 hit because I had a massive headache after both dives but, as the water was 4 degs, I decided that it must have been ice-cream-head ;-)
I thought the same when I had my headaches, but in hindsight they were very distinctive headaches - seemed to be focussed right in the centre of my skull and lasted for hoooours. I'm sure I'd know it immediately if it happened again. I was fairly new to CCR at the time and didn't suspect CO2 - until I found the ragged flapper valve. I always check them and was astonished that I could have missed such a mess, but then the next day when it had dried out it looked pretty good again. Now I check them very carefully.

When I said check them on assembly I meant a thorough visual examination, as well as the functional test.

I wouldn't check before every dive, though I generally only dive it once each assembly, so . . . .

Maybe the sensor readings were a bit wild due to the circulation being disrupted. Seems like you probably had a close call.

buxtonmarauder
07-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Seems like you probably had a close call.

you may well be right.. I'm replacing them courtesy of Barry Goss so he's gonna get some greenery when they arrive in t'post ;-)

buxtonmarauder
10-04-2013, 06:11 PM
New flapper valves arrived today courtesy of Barry Goss - thanks very much.. greenery dished out.

they were sorely needed

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZHtv9IAYMi8/UWWpLiV_ZWI/AAAAAAAADns/yDs8ovmJDoE/s144/IMG_20130410_183949.jpg

Barrygoss
10-04-2013, 06:35 PM
New flapper valves arrived today courtesy of Barry Goss - thanks very much.. greenery dished out.

they were sorely needed

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZHtv9IAYMi8/UWWpLiV_ZWI/AAAAAAAADns/yDs8ovmJDoE/s144/IMG_20130410_183949.jpg

Jesus. They were beyond dead. As per my PM if the flapper valves are that dead ALL the O'rings should be considered toast. Service time

De nada on the supply, anytime.
B

buxtonmarauder
10-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Jesus. They were beyond dead. As per my PM if the flapper valves are that dead ALL the O'rings should be considered toast. Service time

De nada on the supply, anytime.
B

Is there anyone who does that in the UK or should I just roll my sleeves up ?

Barrygoss
10-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Is there anyone who does that in the UK or should I just roll my sleeves up ?

The manual has details of all the O'rings required. Google can be a friend ;)

If not let me know if you're ordering from canada as spares are always needed ;)

B

buxtonmarauder
10-04-2013, 06:49 PM
The manual has details of all the O'rings required. Google can be a friend ;)

If not let me know if you're ordering from canada as spares are always needed ;)

B

I actually have some spare o'rings already..

What kind of lube do you use ?

Barrygoss
10-04-2013, 06:52 PM
I actually have some spare o'rings already..

What kind of lube do you use ?

Now that's getting a bit personal....

The official answer christo lube as per Iain/hsm recommendations (check the other place for where and how cheap)

B

Mike_123
10-04-2013, 11:46 PM
they were sorely needed
Ouch, they ain't pretty.