PDA

View Full Version : What Dry Suit for about 850

Chris Lewis
17-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi

I'm in the market for a new dry suit and have got about 850-900 to spend.

I've been looking at the predator suits but was wondering what peoples opinions are or if they could recommend something better in that price range?

Thanks

Chris

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Janos
17-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I ended up getting an Otter Brittanic, which I'm very happy with.
As a BSAC instructor, I got a discount bringing it in to around your price range.

Janos

Spinksy
17-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Othree MSF 500 or whatever it's called. Had mine for a few years and been really happy with it. Not sure on price now. You may even get change.

bubbleless
17-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page (http://www.seaskin.co.uk/)

Seaskin, with all the toys, dry gloves undersuit and all made to measure.

Made in England

Oh yes and some change.......

Mikael
17-03-2013, 11:59 PM
I ended up getting an Otter Brittanic, which I'm very happy with.
As a BSAC instructor, I got a discount bringing it in to around your price range.

Janos

I am not an instructor and I got a Brittanic (and 200g undersuit) for the bottom of your price range by asking nicely and informing them of my impoverished student status. It was an off the peg size but with some minor adjustments to the fit (legs shortened). I got a front loader, nice large cargo pockets my only regret was not getting it as telescopic suit. Its a great fit when on but that does mean I am little short in the hope length (another a few inches would be ideal) to make doffing easy, the head back through neck seal and outside ways can be fun at times. Had the suit been telescopic then this would be no hassle at all. The other advantage is that a telescopic suit might have given me even more flex to make reaching my valves that bit easier.

Otter have been great when dealing with over the phone, John junior was my contact.

String
18-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I'd say get an Otter for that. Exact discount depends on whether you qualify for instructor discount or not. They're damn good suits.

Treerat
18-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm more than happy with my Polar Bear.

Rob Dobson
18-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Neoprene or trilam?

Whereabouts are you based? Suits is one of those things that it pays to be in striking distance of whomever is making it. Get them to measure you so there can be no arguments as to the measurements.

For neoprene I'd find the extra and go O'there or Scapa Scuba if you're going up that way.

For trilam Seaskin are good and under budget. Hammonds are another option in a different part of the country.

But if you can't get to any if these places then I go with whatever was close to you.

Chris Lewis
18-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I was thinking trilaminate as I've never had a neoprene suit before. I'm now considering the O Three MSF500 as it's probably in price assuming off the peg fits ok.

I'm in Bristol if it makes any difference

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Ian_6301
18-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Have you considered the Hydrotech Predator II?

Compressed 1.5mm neoprene, so almost no buoyancy loss issues and lovely and stretchy where it needs to be. You can get them for about 845 in standard fettle, or a grand for front entry.

Vobster are now selling them, as are Dive Life, or of course Stoney Cove is home to Hydrotech...

Rob Dobson
18-03-2013, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Lewis;48569]I was thinking trilaminate as I've never had a neoprene suit before. I'm now considering the O Three MSF500 as it's probably in price assuming off the peg fits ok.
/QUOTE]

IIRC that's the 5mm neoprene jobby? That's a heavy suit that requires a lot of ballast. It'll be warm but if you're used to trilam it's the very opposite end of the scale...

Their 1mm suits look excellent but I would go beyond the 2.5mm personally.

Chris Lewis
18-03-2013, 05:44 PM
IIRC that's the 5mm neoprene jobby? That's a heavy suit that requires a lot of ballast. It'll be warm but if you're used to trilam it's the very opposite end of the scale...

Their 1mm suits look excellent but I would go beyond the 2.5mm personally.

Yes, I'm not sure why but when i first looked at the O-Three site i read 5mm compressed neo. I'm not even sure if that exists now!

O-Three is off the list i think as i like the lightness of a trilaminate suit.

So any further options?

Chris