• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gtzav
    New TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

South Africa shark cage diving ?

Hi,

Will be traveling to South Africa beginning of May and was looking into the white shark cage diving .
    Anyone tried it ? Would you recommend it ?

Thanks
    George
  • Jon Lavin
    TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Gtzav
    Hi,

Will be traveling to South Africa beginning of May and was looking into the white shark cage diving .
    Anyone tried it ? Would you recommend it ?

Thanks
    George
    Would absolutely recommend it.
    We went out of Gaansbai and loved it.
    Water was cold but the sharks more than made up for it

Comment

• Pelagic
      New TDF Member
      • Mar 2013

I've done it twice and would certainly recommend it, an opportunity to see these incredible creatures shouldn't be passed up.

The first time I went the sharks were out in Shark Alley between (if my memory serves me well) Dyer Island & Gansbaii on the mainland. Here the vis was very good and the cage experience fantastic, although seeing them from the deck of the boat is very good too. The second time I went, also from Gansbaii, the sharks were closer in shore in shallower water and the vis was considerable worse, to the extent that the cage wasn't really worth it however the viewing from the deck was still awesome. I think that where the sharks are is determined by the season, unfortunately I can't remember what time of year I was there on either occasion! I will however check that out later and post details of the times of year.

Comment

• MattJ
        TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Hi

I did it and really enjoyed it; quite eery being in the murky water and Great White's just appearing out of nowhere.

I went with Mike Rutzen's Shark Diving Unlimited and really recommend them. They seemed quite conservation minded (well, as much as you can with cage diving) and the briefings, boat and kit were all good. Note though that it's breath-hold only, i.e. no scuba kit, and be prepared for some pretty big swell. A few folk on my trip just laid on the deck and moaned whilst being sick, never got in the water.

Matt

Comment

• Gtzav
          New TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Ok thanks all for the info
          seems great (apart from the "big swell" part)

Comment

• Gtzav
            New TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

Ok thanks all for the info
            seems great (apart from the "big swell" part)

Comment

Working...