PDA

View Full Version : Insurance query...

The Duchess of Norfolk
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi All

Sorry this is my first post here - and thanks for the mug BTW. As usual, I am after something and this could also start an interesting thread.

My partner John had an operation to seal his large PFO at the end of 2011. In May 2012, the echocardiograph showed that the hole hadn't closed. As those of you who know me know, I am now allergic to water and haven't dived for a couple of years now - Selsey Lifeboat Station doesn't count.

This is where it gets tricky. Looking for decreasing term life insurance to cover a mortgage, our chosen company Zurich asked for the med reports, and noting that Dr Wilmshurst had asked for a repeat test following the May test & we hadn't bothered (as we were no longer diving) turned our application down pending tests.

Now we are running around like mad fools trying to find an alternative company, as we are due to complete on March 11th. This whole process has taken over a month. So, we have tracked down a private cardiology centre who will charge £500 for the test & give the results in 24 hours. All good. But before I booked it I asked Zurich what would happen if the PFO was still there. The answer was - NO COVER. Not even a little bit. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

Now looking on Zurich's list of non-excluded, pre-existing conditions he could have all manner of nasty, life-threatening diseases & disabilities. If you have a PFO - that you know about and declare - no cover.

So I have posted this for two reasons - one, it may be of interest to divers looking to cover their mortgage or life, who currently dive with a PFO, albeit on Nitrox to shallow depths and two, does anyone know a life insurance company who offers cover for this dreadful malady?

Di AKA Madfish AKA The Duchess of Norfolk AKA Moosie AKA Chunderfish AKA Skipper (yes, really :D )

GLOC
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Di. I know there was someone on the other site who used to deal with life insurance for divers but can't remember their username. I am assuming that the reason for declining insurance is because of the increase in stroke risk because a PFO allows a small clot to pass through to the arterial side.

Life Insurance for Divers, Critical Illness Cover, Income Protection, Diving Insurance Cover, Life Insurance, BSAC members (http://www.scuba-fs.co.uk) - first hit for "Life Insurance for Scuba Divers"

Regards

The Duchess of Norfolk
02-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks for that link. I have spoken to Simon & he may be able to help! But what a fabulous guy - highly recommended ( and you too Gareth)....

Di

matt
02-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Perhaps look at this too - not used it myself but is also diving (of sorts :-): Life cover for scuba divers (http://www.bsac.com/page.asp?section=3024&sectionTitle=Scuba+Financial+Services)

GLOC
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Perhaps look at this too - not used it myself but is also diving (of sorts :-): Life cover for scuba divers (http://www.bsac.com/page.asp?section=3024§ionTitle=Scuba+Financial+Ser vices)

Same people by the looks of things Matt.

Regards