PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to get am Poseidon MkVI?

barnaby_s
05-04-2020, 01:43 PM
A buddy has been offered a pair of Poseidon MkVIs at a very low price by a club member if his and he has offered me one (this started before lock down, and I guess will only happen after lock down if I say yes).

I am not sure which battery they currently come with, but since I am not currently trimix rated I am not too bothered for now.

So is there any reason not to get one (and then have it serviced) as my first CCR?

In my club there is a mix of OC and CCR divers, but most of the CCR divers are on the Inspirations so no one there really knows much about the Poseidon.

Doomanic
05-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Would need to know the full spec, hours and price before making a call on that to be honest.

Doomanic
05-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Do they have repackable scrubbers? Hint: as standard, they don't and the scrubber cartridges are 20-odd quid each.

barnaby_s
05-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Do they have repackable scrubbers? Hint: as standard, they don't and the scrubber cartridges are 20-odd quid each.

I originally turned it down dead as I didn't know you could now get the repackable scrubber.

I won't have the answers to your questions for a while, so initially it is if there a reason to to just say "no" to a MkVI on general principles.

Currently just doing standard BSAC recreational diving (so 40m with short deco for maximum) and moving in to twinset with accelerated deco (course on hold due to the current fun and games), with the intention of a trip to Chuuk in a few years (and general South Coast, Malta, Egypt diving between now and then).

Dave1w
05-04-2020, 04:08 PM
If itís cheap and itís in good condition, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomanic
05-04-2020, 04:17 PM
https://www.tecme.de/frame_start1.htm

barnaby_s
05-04-2020, 04:25 PM
So many adaptors there, I will take that as a possible endorsement

Vanny
05-04-2020, 06:57 PM
When I looked 6 years ago I was turned off by the cost of servicing , as I understood it the unit has to be returned for service and eventually shuts down if not done. The price then quoted by a Poseidon diver was £500. I went inspo and haven’t regretted it. Depends maybe on how much of a bargain.

WFO
06-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Always seemed very nanny state to me did the poseidons.
Records have shown these silly units that try and wipe your arse for you have just as much a relationship with the emperor mong and darwin as any other.

Plus why would you want something you've got to change bits off to decide how deep you want to take it? No doubt for some astronomical price, and for absolutely no reason other than manufacturers chiseling some cash,

Why not get something decent?

If they're really that cheap, only reason I can see for getting one would be to keep all the mechanicals and turn it into a poseidon-kiss (PISS?)

gpj
06-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Have a chat with the instructors who offer training with this unit, if I was in the market for one that's what I would do.

HTH

barnaby_s
06-04-2020, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the view, I have seen at least one instructor that covers these plus a good range of others so I might try dropping them a line.