PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet, the CAA and Cylinders

thetrickster
22-02-2013, 08:02 AM
So,

I'm looking at if I can take my DSMBi (inc Crack bottle) to Egypt with EasyJet (I will be risking it anyway...)
Taken one before with Thomson a couple of times and no worries...

EasyJet terms and conditions state the following are dangerous / forbidden items:

Gas cylinders such as deeply refrigerated flammable, non-flammable and poisonous gases including butane, oxygen, propane, and aqualung cylinders.

Thats all they say in regards to diving cylinders - 'aqualung' sounds like the T&Cs are from 1960...nothing about pressured or not.

However EasyJet provide a link to the CAA website which provide greater guidance for allowed/not allowed items, which detail the transportation of diving cylinders:

Diving Cylinders, provided that the cylinders are below 280 kPa (2.8 bar or 40 psi), can be carried. It may, however, be difficult for check-in staff to verify this and you may be asked to empty the cylinder. Once emptied, the cylinder valve should be closed to prevent moisture entering the cylinder.

See page 9 of this pdf -> http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1219/srg_dgo_WhatCanICarry20120321.pdf

There is an 'X' in the column which states, if you require permission from the airline or not, which I read as the airline cannot impose any restrictions on you?

So with this, I will be printing a copy off and having it to hand at Gatwick - if they do ask.....

Hope this is of use to anybody...

Dive dog
22-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Take the valve off and put the valve in hold luggage and the cylinder in hand luggage.

Graham Smith
22-02-2013, 08:22 AM
This is one of those grey areas that will be down to the actual check in staff and their interpretation of the "Rules" which can be very different to the intention of those same rules. They will have little regard for CAA advice and guidance if it contradicts their own.

Best thing to do IMO is to remove the valve completely and stick the bottle in your hand luggage. That way you are then dealing with a security guard who will be far more aware of the possible dangers and seeing it completely empty, should not have an issue with it.

Alternatively, stick it in your hold luggage but be ready to be called back if it gets picked up in the screening (Unlike with hand luggage, you are then not there to discuss what it is etc).

Have flown with suit inflate bottles in hold and carry on luggage. Having shown the valve was removed I never had an issue.

G

Cheeky Monkey
22-02-2013, 08:53 AM
just ask them ? paste in the CAA guidance, tell them what you intend to do and to confirm that's OK ?

thetrickster
22-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Spoke with a call centre in the indian sub continent - asked to speak with someone who has information on CAA Dangerous Items / Items Allowed, had the reply:

"The CAA, what is this sir...?"

However on explaining, it will be empty, not pressurised etc etc. Was put on hold for 2mins for someone else to come back to me, saying that the item will be okay to put in the hold, as per CAA rules.

Its as clear as mud. :)

Cheeky Monkey
22-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Spoke with a call centre in the indian sub continent - asked to speak with someone who has information on CAA Dangerous Items / Items Allowed, had the reply:

However on explaining, it will be empty, not pressurised etc etc. Was put on hold for 2mins for someone else to come back to me, saying that the item will be okay to put in the hold, as per CAA rules.

I'd drop EJ a line confirming that this is what you've been told and intend to do - is that OK or would they rather you took it in hand luggage ?

With any luck you end up with a reply to put in your pocket for the day in case of problems

Worst case, they say 'you can't take it', but given CAA that seems unlikely to me

Cheeky Monkey
22-02-2013, 10:30 AM

I'd drop EJ a line confirming that this is what you've been told and intend to do - is that OK or would they rather you took it in hand luggage ?

With any luck you end up with a reply to put in your pocket for the day in case of problems

Worst case, they say 'you can't take it', but given CAA that seems unlikely to me

Allan Carr
22-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I managed a RTW trip with a DSMBi. What I did was leave just enough pressure in the cylinder that I could seal it with my thumb when I turned the tap on. I demonstrated this at check in. This kept just enough positive pressure to prevent moisture ingress.

cotochris
22-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I once took a buddy DSMBi on hand luggage, at the x-ray the lady behind it called the guards thinking it could be a grenade. One of the guards was a diver but had never seen one before. After explainning all was clear to go (empty of course)

Edward3c
22-02-2013, 02:03 PM
The bigger issue could be getting it back home, the airport staff won't give a dam about the UK CAA. Get confirmation from EJ for both outgoing and return flights and produce that.

Charlie
22-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Bringing home rebreather cylinders from Orkney on the plane, I had a few problems. I had checked on the phone and was told I could carry them, showed they were empty at the airport. i was then told they wouldn't take them as oxygen cylinders were banned. I told them they were air only and was allowed to take them in the end. If I was doing it again, I would stick some small compressed air stickers on them for transport.

Major Clanger
22-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Put my empty suit inflate bottle in hold luggage without query. If you put it in sports luggage it gets xray'd and queried. Guy with me put two crack bottles through, he showed them they were empty and through they went. Valves stayed screwed in.

CraigofScotland
22-02-2013, 04:27 PM
I take paintball cylinders all over europe on flights. its not to bad as long as you can prove its empty, on a pball bottle I remove a burst disk. Can the valve be unscrewed on the wee bottle? sometimes the airport gremlins do want to look inside.

Neil Brock
23-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Never ever had a problem, a couple of raised eyebrows and several queries, but not been refused once !

I have always emailed the carrier first, told them what and when, and carried a copy of that companies email acceptance in writing with me when traveling.:y:

bottle maker
23-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I find that squirting air in the bottom of the bag easier than messing about with a crack bottle. Why not save the weight and aggravation and eave it behind. ?

Graham.

bottle maker
23-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I find that squirting air in the bottom of the bag easier than messing about with a crack bottle. Why not save the weight and aggravation and eave it behind. ?

Graham.

JPTaylor
23-02-2013, 12:15 PM
So,

I'm looking at if I can take my DSMBi (inc Crack bottle) to Egypt with EasyJet (I will be risking it anyway...)
Taken one before with Thomson a couple of times and no worries...

Why do feel you need too?

I leave mine at home & take a simple open ended one with a light plastic reel. In all honesty I find you don't use it that often....

Graham Smith
23-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Why do feel you need too?

I leave mine at home & take a simple open ended one with a light plastic reel. In all honesty I find you don't use it that often....

And with that, 16 perfectly good posts ruined, completely ruined. ;)

G

flyingfisheye
23-02-2013, 12:50 PM
hide it under a bag of coke and PE they might miss it then!

flyingfisheye
23-02-2013, 12:51 PM
or Buy one of the little plugs that APD sell to replace the bottle and use a whip off you stage?

Simon TW
24-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Put some talc in a plastic bag and tape it inside the opening of the DSMB, they won't be too concerned about your crack bottle.