X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Konkeb
    New TDF Member
    • Apr 2019

Advice for harness systems

Current using apeks WTX wing S/s backplate, twinset harness with weight pods, finding it difficult to get kitted up with my neoprene drysuit which has Kubi dry gloves fitted. Thinking that a bare bone backplate and harness system would be a lot easier to getting kitted up on a cramped and moving boat. Don’t want to change my drybag for a membrane or Tri laminate suit. Any advice for what works easily from other users would be appreciated before I start spending any hard earned cash cheers.
  • JonG
    Established TDF Member
    • Apr 2017

what's the issue Konkeb, is it a OPH, how much weight, are the gloves attached or removable?

Comment

• timmyg
      Gobbie squaddie, average diver
      • Dec 2012

Any more info. I dive neo, kubis, oph, standard bp & never have an issue donning or doffing, reaching valves etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My pages:
      l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Comment

• graham_hk
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Last edited by graham_hk; 29-11-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• OrangeHead
          TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by graham_hk
          Sounds like your harness is too tight
          Seems likely. But ... are you shifting your body lower to get your arms in? It's a lot easier with your armpits below the top webbing slots. I usually do this and see plenty of others doing the same.

Comment

• Mark Chase
            Old but keen
            • Dec 2012

Switch to a one piece harness adjustable system like the Harper

All the benefits of a one piece with 90% of the benefits of an adjustable rig.

I use one and its fantastic no more looking like I have a disability when trying to get in and out of my rig

Comment

• jturner
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Konkeb
              Current using apeks WTX wing S/s backplate, twinset harness with weight pods, finding it difficult to get kitted up with my neoprene drysuit which has Kubi dry gloves fitted. Thinking that a bare bone backplate and harness system would be a lot easier to getting kitted up on a cramped and moving boat. Don’t want to change my drybag for a membrane or Tri laminate suit. Any advice for what works easily from other users would be appreciated before I start spending any hard earned cash cheers.
              When you say twinset harness, do you mean a WTX adjustable harness or...? When you're getting kitted up, what makes it difficult? Is it the Kubi rings? If so, that happens - mine also get stuck from time to time. You need to work out how to approach them and were they need to be to get them through (but then you get things stuck on the dump valve on the shoulder!).

FWIW, most people who struggle to get a harness on either have medical mobility problems (rare but does happen, though you'd know if you did) or their harness is not adjusted properly (typically too tight, but have have seen too loose on an adjustable harness that turned into a mess of floppy webbing, all tangled together). I have the flexibility of a dry stick and can usually manage to put a standard OPH on floating on the surface, on a boat etc. without difficulty.
              The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• TWK21
                New TDF Member
                • Aug 2018

Buddy assistance. I’m not to proud to use help, be it lifting counter lungs or holding the harness open. That way I can sit on the bench glaring and mumbling under my breath waiting for everyone else to wriggle into their kit and untangle the light cables.

Comment

Working...