PDA

View Full Version : DiveAbility on the telly!

Stig
08-03-2019, 07:45 AM
We've got a BBC news crew filming at our pool session tomorrow for an item about diving with disabilities on the 6:30 news*. It's BBC South so just local news but good publicity just the same.

*whether that's the 6:30 news tomorrow or just an item they'll fit in sometime in the future I don't know.

Tim Digger
08-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Just interested, not critical yes or no, but do you get consent from your disabled participants for filming?

Stig
08-03-2019, 11:07 AM
A fair question. Everyone's been told they can ask not to be filmed but if they say nothing then they'll assumed to consent. For anyone underage there will be a written consent process.

Edward3c
08-03-2019, 03:32 PM
A fair question. Everyone's been told they can ask not to be filmed but if they say nothing then they'll assumed to consent. For anyone underage there will be a written consent process.
What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller can’t use a none response as consent.

Darren A
08-03-2019, 04:29 PM
What was the legal purpose (Article 6 of the GDPR), The film company, as the data controller can’t use a none response as consent.

/shakes head/

ManualOverride
08-03-2019, 04:55 PM
We've got a BBC news crew filming at our pool session tomorrow for an item about diving with disabilities on the 6:30 news*. It's BBC South so just local news but good publicity just the same.

That sounds great, always good to get diving some good publicity and keep the sport alive with new people who might not have considered it until they saw it on the TV.

A friend of mine has a spinal injury and was introduced to diving with Deptherapy, it's really helped him.

Hope it goes well Stig.

Wardy_uk
09-03-2019, 08:58 AM

I’d argue that news-worthy story = legitimate interest therefore consent is not required...

ManualOverride
09-03-2019, 09:25 AM
News reporting gets a a pretty comprehensive exemption from GDPR, for filming in public places the lack of objection is considered consent.
A BBC news team will have this covered.

I'm a little surprised a post about publicizing the inclusivity and accessibility of the diving community has got such a frosty reception from TDF. :think:

Adrian
09-03-2019, 09:30 AM
News reporting gets a a pretty comprehensive exemption from GDPR, for filming in public places the lack of objection is considered consent.
A BBC news team will have this covered.

I'm a little surprised a post about publicizing the inclusivity and accessibility of the diving community has got such a frosty reception from TDF. :think:Some people are just so process driven they lose sight of why the process exists. Doing things right becomes more important that doing the right thing. Some won't even act to change the process if they think it is wrong or assume it applies to cases outside of their own knowledge.

AKA Jobsworths.

bottle maker
09-03-2019, 09:32 AM
I’d argue that news-worthy story = legitimate interest therefore consent is not required...

Devil's advocate but by asking for consent would you have to follow the GDPR? Would it be better not to formally ask and then use the newsworthy story reason as justification for not asking. Once the question has been asked then GDPR takes precedence. That is my understanding after some very basic reading on the subject.

Graham

bottle maker
09-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Some people are just so process driven they lose sight of why the process exists. Doing things right becomes more important that doing the right thing. Some won't even act to change the process if they think it is wrong or assume it applies to cases outside of their own knowledge.

AKA Jobsworths.
Totally agree PPE is another thing that gets mandated with out thinking about what the risk that could require PPE is and how to remove that.

For the record I agree that anything that promotes our sport is good. And showing that diving is not just for the able bodied is good.

Graham.

Adrian
09-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Totally agree PPE is another thing that gets mandated with out thinking about what the risk that could require PPE is and how to remove that.Gloves are worst IMO.

Edward3c
09-03-2019, 10:47 AM

I would agree with you, but asking if anyone objects kills the media’s Lagitimate Interest and moves the whole think to concent. GDPR is part of my day job, and the ICO is looking to clamp down on the current ‘soft opt-in’ use.

Stig
10-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Ah yes, it would be TDF without thread drift! ;)

The filming seemed to go OK as far as I could see. They interviewed two or three of our beneficiaries along with their parents - I think young Harvey might be the star of the show. Apparently it'll be broadcast in a couple of weeks so I'll post an update once I hear when.

(I think the 'assumed consent' thing was just for those of us in the background as apparently written consent was obtained in advance for those they were actually filming. The session wasn't that busy so I guess a couple of our regulars weren't keen on being filmed so stayed away)

Stig
08-04-2019, 06:53 AM
I missed the broadcast last week but it's now on the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152339894839809/

Neilwood
10-04-2019, 11:27 AM
I missed the broadcast last week but it's now on the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/152339894839809/

Loved it. I am currently trying to persuade my mum to do a try dive - she is 72 with chronic pain but I reckon with a bit of assistance with the gear top side she would manage the underwater bit no problem.