PDA

View Full Version : Warning Beepers on underwater devices.

Tim Digger
17-11-2018, 08:03 AM
The thread on Audio devices on General Diving prompted this poll. Although the Ops original survey request seems to have been deleted. Your opinions on the utility of current alarms on dive computers and othe underwater electronics are sought. I am just doing this as it may be of interest to someone.

Chrisch
17-11-2018, 08:26 AM
I am reminded of William Shatner in the Airplane movie - "their incessant bleeping and flashing". Could drive a person nuts.

There are too many things in modern life that bleep at you. What next? "I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that.."

jamesp
17-11-2018, 09:24 AM
First time I took my ybod out for an illicit pre mod 1 dip in dottie, my buddie was shitting bricks at the amount of beeping going on; several times grabbing my handsets and checking them, worried at my lack of concern.
I was checking, the were not mine and I was dismissing them as they were heard from cursory glances at the handsets.

Turned out afterwards that the soon to be rb instructor, had been having a mare of a dive on their evo just below us.

I have always used the audible alarms, ybod and computer, even a promaster in the red sea.

MikeF
17-11-2018, 09:35 AM
The trouble with audible alarms is demonstrated above. On a dive with 6 or 8 Inspos there's bound to be one beeping away and some people always seem to assume it's someone else or repetitively cancel it and carry on

I've never used one but the HUD that buzzed your teeth always seemed the best solution to me as it must be annoying as hell and very personal.