PDA

View Full Version : Revo in the UK

Wibs
14-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Just say I was interested in a Revo as my first box and would like to do a try-dive / day and have a serious chat about the ins and outs of Revos. Where can this be done in the South of England? Who's the trainers, where's the "shop", where are the courses? If not the south of England, maybe Brugges or Brussels as they're a lot easier to get to than Scotland.

I'm absolutely not interested in Egypt.

Is it possible to do a MOD1 course on a 'rented' Revo? Who does these courses and where?

FWIW myself and another chap are arranging one or two days of try-dives on other boxes in Stoney (lovely place...) on 20-21st August 2018. Would be great if we could have a Revo to hand.

topper133
14-06-2018, 11:12 AM
http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/instructors/europe/uk/

Wibs
14-06-2018, 11:30 AM
One's based in Sharm, the other in a far off land called Scotland (St Abbs?).

topper133
14-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Ah sorry, did look that far into it.

not sure if your comment was in jest or not, but http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/instructors/europe/belgium/ any better?

notdeadyet
14-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Simon is a member on here (Simon TW). He travels all over and comes here regularly, not just Egypt. I think Barry teaches UK wide as well. Both are great people and very helpful.

Wibs
14-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Ah sorry, did look that far into it.

not sure if your comment was in jest or not, but http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/instructors/europe/belgium/ any better?

Brussels is half the distance from here than going up norf. I'm regretting not going to Brugges when I was in Oostende last month.

I do find it amusing that the UK Revo site pushes the Red Sea, especially as we've the glorious equivalents in Stoney, NDAC, etc.

I've a bunch of questions about the Revos which aren't really available in the instruction manuals; maybe I'll ask them here...
* Where's the lung dump and OPV?
* What's it like doing a CBL with a Revo-wearing 'victim'?
* How do you clean the lungs?
* Just how sensitive is a Revo to water in the loop?
* How easy is it to monitor your three cells (Shearwater), plus the two RevoDreams?
* Should one go for the Shearwater + RevoDreams?
* How well does the Revo Monitoring System (RMS) work?
* Sizing; micro with 3 litre tins?
* Stand: option or addon?
* Bailing out with a gag-strap: is it hard?
* Suit inflate bottle installation options?
* Swapping tins; how easy?
* What other optional extras are needed / necessary?
* Total cost for this lot?

Then there's the support group questions:
* Are there many people needing practice time; getting together, etc.
* Where?
* Do many people use Revos in cave type environments? (By that I mean in UK sumps, not the Florida / Mexico tube networks) It seems that the Revos are probably one of the lightest CCRs available. All for that when lugging them up hills, etc.
* What about support; servicing, fixing, spares..?

Thoughts are to go for it training as hard as possible to get past the "OMG, I've made a massive mistake" stage and back to competence and diving places I'd like to dive -- typically south-coast wrecks.

topper133
14-06-2018, 04:52 PM
Sorry canít answer any of those, never used one, but why you interested in a Revo out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wibs
14-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Sorry can’t answer any of those, never used one, but why you interested in a Revo out of interest?

A few things.
* They're smaller than a lot of other boxes as the scrubber's split into two and is 'sideways' on.
* They seem to be lighter, particularly the titanium micro one. (Thinking I'm not getting any younger and am sick of dragging twinsets around)
* I like their look (hardly a high-priority requirement, purely asthetics)
* I like the idea of two scrubbers which, in theory, should mean less risk of breakthrough and will make it cheaper to run
* I'm exceedingly keen on the hybrid system: manual with electronics to make life easier. I'd think that running it manually first off would be great for safety and developing the right attitude, not to mention getting to know it well. Not keen on a fully electronic box where you only occasionally run it manually.
* I like the fully enclosed counterlung; should be safer if scrabbling around in tight holes, or just on a boat/car where things break as stuff bounces around.

All of the above is predicated on absolutely zero experience on any CCR. I'm looking at buying a new one and living with it for the rest of my diving career, hence all the questions.

From what I've heard, a common comment is that it's quite hard to get to "kick the tires" on Revos as there's not any 'shops' or many UK instructors. One thing though is that on boats, I've not heard any of the Revo owners complaining about them, nor are they heavily customised.

I'm also 'considering' other rebreathers too; The JJ and X-Box (which looks a lot nicer with the cave cover).

topper133
14-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Theyíre a lot bigger in the US, when I was in Truk in December, I would have said there were more revos there than APs, but the group was 90% American.

Iíve got an xccr, canít fault it and need any info on that just shout. So much choice itís going to be tough to narrow down.

LearnerDiver
14-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Contact Simon TW and he will be able to answer all your questions.

I did a try dive with Simon at Capernwray a while ago and he knows the units inside out. My write up used to be on the Revo site - found it on Simons site: https://www.tekdeep.com/?s=Capernwray - mines the 1-2-1 write up

Wibs
14-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Contact Simon TW and he will be able to answer all your questions.

I did a try dive with Simon at Capernwray a while ago and he knows the units inside out. My write up used to be on the Revo site - found it on Simons site: https://www.tekdeep.com/?s=Capernwray - mines the 1-2-1 write up

Did you buy one in the end?

JonG
14-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Loads of info on all sorts of units on RBW and not just in the unit specific sections, if you dig around.

LearnerDiver
14-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Did you buy one in the end?

Not yet, couple of other things took priority, but its still on my list of things to buy

Wibs
14-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Not yet, couple of other things took priority, but its still on my list of things to buy

Know what you mean. It's the price of a car and I still need final budgetary approval...

Barrygoss
14-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Brussels is half the distance from here than going up norf. I'm regretting not going to Brugges when I was in Oostende last month.

I do find it amusing that the UK Revo site pushes the Red Sea, especially as we've the glorious equivalents in Stoney, NDAC, etc.

I've a bunch of questions about the Revos which aren't really available in the instruction manuals; maybe I'll ask them here...
* How easy is it to monitor your three cells (Shearwater), plus the two RevoDreams?

* Where?
* Do many people use Revos in cave type environments? (By that I mean in UK sumps, not the Florida / Mexico tube networks) It seems that the Revos are probably one of the lightest CCRs available. All for that when lugging them up hills, etc.

Thoughts are to go for it training as hard as possible to get past the "OMG, I've made a massive mistake" stage and back to competence and diving places I'd like to dive -- typically south-coast wrecks.

As a buddy owned one
Where's the lung dump and OPV? - it has an opv, no lung dump
* What's it like doing a CBL with a Revo-wearing 'victim'? Same as every other breather, you need to dump the lung
* How do you clean the lungs? With cleaning stuff and water.
* Just how sensitive is a Revo to water in the loop? Quite, it has very little flood tolerance and no way to clear water, just a shammy leather to soak stuff up.
* How easy is it to monitor your three cells (Shearwater), plus the two RevoDreams? Something in front of eyes is all good, it flashed red and you look to handset for more info. Simple
* Should one go for the Shearwater + RevoDreams? Yes
* How well does the Revo Monitoring System (RMS) work? Itís an airbag, some people need an airbag, some donít
* Sizing; micro with 3 litre tins? Pick the unit you like
* Stand: option or addon? Itís short, a stand helps the back
* Bailing out with a gag-strap: is it hard? Pull out of mouth and it tucks under chin. Simples, it not a ratchet strap
* Suit inflate bottle installation options? It has rails in the side specifically for suit inflates
* Swapping tins; how easy? Same as a twinset
* What other optional extras are needed / necessary? A spare scrubber pod is always good
* Total cost for this lot? If youíre asking you canít afford it.

B

Wibs
14-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks Barry. Very helpful.

Matt L
15-06-2018, 04:57 AM
I completely agree with this statement!

I failed to do this in 2015 with my JJ and sold it too soon which I regret! Having someone on the same learning curve will help regardless of unit. I hoping to go back to it one day!

iamyourgasman
15-06-2018, 06:03 AM

* Where?

There are a few of us using rEvos on the south coast. Barry will travel as he did recently a crossover MOD1-2 for a friend in NDAC.

As user I can add my views:

* Where's the lung dump and OPV? No lung dump, OPV on the top of the unit
* What's it like doing a CBL with a Revo-wearing 'victim'? As Barry said, you need to went all buoyancy sources. The OPV being on top of the unit may help if you keep the victim slightly upright.

* How do you clean the lungs? Fill the lungs with water, squirt cleaning stuff in, slosh it around and drain. Itís easy to do it as part of the disassemble process.

* Just how sensitive is a Revo to water in the loop? Very, compared to other units, especially to FML configurations. That said, I never had any issues apart from gurgling a bit when my lips werenít sealed properly.

Very easy IMHO
* Should one go for the Shearwater + RevoDreams? I started off with this. Now have two NERDs to free up my arm completely. Any configuration will do the same job.
* How well does the Revo Monitoring System (RMS) work? I like it and use it. Others differ. Itís electronics so there were teething issues.

Depends on your needs. I have a mini stainless and Iím quite happy with it.
* Stand: option or addon? Add-on, which improves user experience of the mini and micro units enormously. Kent Tooling is your friend.
* Bailing out with a gag-strap: is it hard? No
* Suit inflate bottle installation options? You can put the suit bottle on the side, I have mine on the top (not using weights there) or if you have a stand you can put it between the legs there.
* Swapping tins; how easy? Very
* What other optional extras are needed / necessary? Dive it for at least 50 hours in stock (maybe adding the stand from the off as that helps kitting up and down) then start tinkering.
* Total cost for this lot? Budget a small car for a new unit. Excellent used examples can be had for 4.5-7k, depending on electronics

* Are there many people needing practice time; getting together, etc. Iím still a newbie after a few hundred hours...
* Where? I live close to NDAC 😜
* Do many people use Revos in cave type environments? (By that I mean in UK sumps, not the Florida / Mexico tube networks) It seems that the Revos are probably one of the lightest CCRs available. All for that when lugging them up hills, etc. You are mad enough to do this on OC! That said my mini is lighter than a twinset when loaded and ready to dive.
There is a support group on FB. rEvo HQ is an email away and responsive. Thankfully I had not have many issues, most was sorted under warranty. Upgrades are easy to come by and install by yourselves, not cheap but on par with other units.

colinicky
15-06-2018, 06:04 AM
Wibs
If you want to see a micro give me a shout. I'm based in Hastings, East Sussex but willing to travel within the SE. Easiest way to answer your questions is hands on. I started with an inspo classic then a Vision & am now on my second rEvo. I liked all of the units for slightly different reasons. Pm me a number to call you on if your interested .
HTH
Colin

Wibs
15-06-2018, 07:31 AM
@Colin: Didn't realise you had a Revo. We're quite close and I'll send a PM.

Wibs
16-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Found an interesting 'trim' video of Revos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaRp0fZ_4cs

They certainly seem compact units.

Pity that the bailout tins aren't trimmed -- there's so much to learn from sidemounting; one little bit of bungee and it's all under control...

JonG
16-06-2018, 04:52 PM

I came into rebreathers with a similar mindset, slightly different background cause had been out of diving for 20 odd years, but wanted to get back to decent depths and wrecks in a shortish timeframe.

I have done as much as I can in terms of training with usual time constraints of modern life, and I think u can dial most of the basics relatively quickly, but it's the nuances that take time and ultimately I am thinking these are what make the whole experience, calmer, more enjoyable and ultimately probably safer.

Over time I have consciously extended my goals in terms of time and effectively slowed down to enjoy the journey, to use an off quoted phrase.

I have had the mistake thoughts, but stuck with it, read a lot and stayed shallow and confined, which although dull in terms of scenery, forced me to practice to alleviate the boredom.

First wreck trip next weekend, last UK wreck dive ended in a helicopter ride, so here's hoping it ends better this time.....

OutOfTest
16-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Wibs. Nobody uses a revo in UK sumps.

Any CCR I know of that gets used for actual UK sumps is a homemade.

This is real UK sumps. If youíre just playing in the mines or whatever then anything is fine.

colinicky
17-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Wibs. Nobody uses a revo in UK sumps.

Any CCR I know of that gets used for actual UK sumps is a homemade.

This is real UK sumps. If you’re just playing in the mines or whatever then anything is fine.

OOI may I ask why this is ? note I have no knowledge of mines or sumps !

OutOfTest
17-06-2018, 11:34 AM
OOI may I ask why this is ? note I have no knowledge of mines or sumps !

Because backmount wonít fit in most of them.

Those it will fit in, it probably wonít transport down there.

Backmount will fit in Wookey hole, but these sumps are short and shallow until you get into the end, and the end needs sidemount, so thereís no point.

It will fit in Pridhamsleigh, but would be difficult to carry there.

It will fit in Hurtle, but anywhere a backmount CCR would fit can be done on a pair of 7s.

And Iím starting to run out of examples....

Backmount CCR is just the wrong tool for the job for real UK sump diving. That said, I know two UK sump divers who use Revos when they are abroad. KISS seems to be preferred though (and is my own preference)

Baloo
17-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Sorry Wibs, I dont get on here so much these days.....
I have sent you a PM so hopefully we can get you sorted out with a try dive/ training.
Cheers Barry

Wibs
18-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Sorry Wibs, I dont get on here so much these days.....
I have sent you a PM so hopefully we can get you sorted out with a try dive/ training.
Cheers Barry

Thanks. Have pinged you an email.

Simon TW
21-06-2018, 07:44 AM

Who's in Sharm?

I'm in Hurghada and have only been to Sharm once when the plane landed there.

I'm really sorry that there isn't a rEvo instructor to hand but to be a rEvo Instructor you have to be full time in diving and not do the odd course every now and again. You can teach other units but not a lot. This makes it a little difficult to earn a living in the UK.

Now you want a try dive, so that's someone coming to you with a safety diver and surface support for a day. They're going to pay entry fees into where ever, fuel, food, lime, gas and incidentals. When I did this I charged £200 for the day and some people quibbled at the price.

Barry is based in St Abbs, he's running a dive boat but he will be willing to meet you somewhere, you only have to ask.

Vanny
21-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Something to consider in choice of unit maybe. MEG is very similar , restricted uk instructor base and limited access to spares/back up & ongoing training.

Wibs
21-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Who's in Sharm?

I'm in Hurghada and have only been to Sharm once when the plane landed there.

I'm really sorry that there isn't a rEvo instructor to hand but to be a rEvo Instructor you have to be full time in diving and not do the odd course every now and again. You can teach other units but not a lot. This makes it a little difficult to earn a living in the UK.

Now you want a try dive, so that's someone coming to you with a safety diver and surface support for a day. They're going to pay entry fees into where ever, fuel, food, lime, gas and incidentals. When I did this I charged £200 for the day and some people quibbled at the price.

Barry is based in St Abbs, he's running a dive boat but he will be willing to meet you somewhere, you only have to ask.

Have been in contact with Barry; all's well and it's very much with me to move things forwards.

One forumite on here has been exceedingly helpful and shown a couple of us around his Revo including stripping it down and trying it on for size. Very pleased with what I saw and it's laid a lot of questions to rest. His enthusiasm speaks volumes about the design, as is very common for other Revo users I've met on boats.

I was particularly impressed with how easy it is to attach various cylinders & batteries to the rig (suit inflate, torch, heater battery). That metal frame's extremely useful with the clips.

---

Is Sharm / Hurgada like confusing Manchester with Leeds? I've not been to Egypt (nor ooop 't north) -- for some reason warm clear water with pretty fish and sunshine doesn't appeal when we've got so much rusting metal sitting off our coast just waiting to be explored.

matt
21-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Is Sharm / Hurgada like confusing Manchester with Leeds? I've not been to Egypt (nor ooop 't north) -- for some reason warm clear water with pretty fish and sunshine doesn't appeal when we've got so much rusting metal sitting off our coast just waiting to be explored.

More like muddling Blackpool with the Isle of Man.

SoggyBottoms
21-06-2018, 03:12 PM

it's not a bad idea to do your early training in a nice stress free environment with good viz and little tidal flow. you will be fully engaged as a newb operating your rig anyway.
plus, from what I've heard Simon runs a good self contained operation and you get the war stories

Wibs
21-06-2018, 04:08 PM
it's not a bad idea to do your early training in a nice stress free environment with good viz and little tidal flow. you will be fully engaged as a newb operating your rig anyway.
plus, from what I've heard Simon runs a good self contained operation and you get the war stories

Hmmm... war stories in the Middle East

When there's NDAC to play in. Kind of know that place way too well.

I do get your meaning. I'm just not fussed with the hassle of travelling to Egypt (or flying with dive kit anywhere for that matter). The benefit of the UK is cheaper transport, no Delhi belly, and having all my kit to hand.

I'm probably odd in that respect.

WFO
22-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Hmmm... war stories in the Middle East

When there's NDAC to play in. Kind of know that place way too well.

I do get your meaning. I'm just not fussed with the hassle of travelling to Egypt (or flying with dive kit anywhere for that matter). The benefit of the UK is cheaper transport, no Delhi belly, and having all my kit to hand.

I'm probably odd in that respect.

Not just you mate.
Have to fly for work occasionally and fookin hate the cattle drive of going through an airport. Sod doing that for "fun".