PDA

View Full Version : KISS ADV Issue

JonG
11-06-2018, 01:29 PM
I just wanted to check with other KISS owners or former owners about an issue I had with the ADV last weekend.

So, dropped to 6m to perform cell check. Flushed with o2 and then dropped the loop volume to bring in some DIL.

My ADV has always been fairly stiff and slow to fill the unit (orange diaphragm on it from N90), flushed out some of the 02 and then realised that the ADV was still filling the unit.

I carried on the dive (shallow no more than 17m in Capenwray just doing skills) with the ADV shut off most of the time, periodically testing the ADV, until eventually it settled down, this was actually really good for working on MLV as an aside.

However in shallow water <6m it started free-flowing again so shut it off.

Came home and tested it and it was still gradually feeding the unit so dismantled it, mine is a nylon shaped cone and there was no obvious issue with it.

Cleaned it up, greased it a bit with silicone grease and re-assembled it.

No more feed into unit and can depress the button fine without inducing a free flow.

I am thinking it may have been just crap on the seat but have first sea dives in less than 2 weeks so wanted to check if I am missing anything.

I will get it back underwater this week to be safe though.

Capt Morgan
11-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Can't say I know what caused your problem but I wouldn't put silicone grease on the ADV cone as that is one way of increasing your chance of getting a foreign body causing a free flow.

OutOfTest
11-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Turn up the IP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Chase
11-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Was going to ask what the IP setting is on your dill but O.U.T. beat me to it

I also agree, silicone on the ADV is a no no as it will hold dirt and grit

ATB

Mark

JonG
12-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Thanks gents, I will check the IP but the regs are only about 6 months old so would be surprised if it has changed much...........see what you are saying about the silicone grease but was just thinking it may be binding where the tip sits inside the LP orifice.

It has a new Miflex style hose feeding it so think I may change that out for rubber in case there is any de-lamination in the hose.

Mark Chase
12-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Thanks gents, I will check the IP but the regs are only about 6 months old so would be surprised if it has changed much...........see what you are saying about the silicone grease but was just thinking it may be binding where the tip sits inside the LP orifice.

It has a new Miflex style hose feeding it so think I may change that out for rubber in case there is any de-lamination in the hose.

I have a load of Myflex hoses on my JJ after the rubber ones delaminated. They have been on the unit for years (several) so I wouldn't get too much in a rush to replace it. I know Myflex had some issues but despite pretty much all my OC (half a dozen rigs) and CCR stuff running Myflex, my stuff has been sound.

RE IP pressure: crank it up a bit anyway (as long as its not dangerously high) and see if that solves the problem as its odd it shouldn't seal at relatively low pressure but is sealing once the IP increases with depth

ebt
12-06-2018, 08:31 AM
I have to admit, the cone is an upgrade, but I never had reason to change from the original. ADV speed is very subjective, but its fair to say its not quick on a KISS.

As the guys have said, clean it up, dont lube it. The IP is worth a check, as is the first stage filter. I wouldnt go winding up the IP without checking it first.

JonG
13-06-2018, 05:37 AM
I have dismantled it again and dried off the lube, mine is a nylon cone Zak that will be original so probably predates the i-ring versions.

Checked ip and it's 9.75 bar so pretty much right, maybe a touch over going by notes that I have made.

Will get it wet and see what happens.

Thanks for the contributions.

notdeadyet
13-06-2018, 05:54 AM
mine is a nylon cone Zak that will be original so probably predates the i-ring versions.

The cone version superseded the oring version. Oring version was better (I thought) than the cone but an absolute bastard to change the oring on.

Some people, ahem :), only swapped to the cone because they fucked up the old one so badly with superglue when trying to change the oring. I never had adv issues til I swapped.

JonG
13-06-2018, 03:08 PM
I thought mine was original tbh (CK12), don't think the owner had done any repairs/upgrades, its a white nylon cone same as the seat in the mav.

notdeadyet
13-06-2018, 03:32 PM
I thought mine was original tbh (CK12), don't think the owner had done any repairs/upgrades, its a white nylon cone same as the seat in the mav.

Maybe that was on the really old ones. Mine was 50-something and had the brass top hat with oring. These then went to a plastic blob on a stem that looked like a Dremel bit. I think that is when the real adv problems started.

I thought the brass top hat was the original. They were reliable and tended to lock up rather than leak but a total bastard to glue a new oring into.

JonG
13-06-2018, 03:36 PM
I think Gordon put mine together its that dated, good nick tho considering, less dinks and knocks than the current user.

notdeadyet
13-06-2018, 03:56 PM
I think Gordon put mine together its that dated, good nick tho considering, less dinks and knocks than the current user.

Old CK's are the best. I'd never buy a newer one. They just cheapened the materials while hiking the price. Steel hoses, 2nd gen MAV, black handsets, can't beat it. Miflex and cheap plastic shite, wouldn't touch it.

Barrygoss
13-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Maybe that was on the really old ones. Mine was 50-something and had the brass top hat with oring. These then went to a plastic blob on a stem that looked like a Dremel bit. I think that is when the real adv problems started.

I thought the brass top hat was the original. They were reliable and tended to lock up rather than leak but a total bastard to glue a new oring into.

Unit #66 here, yep, I had an oring version to start with, with a newer non oring as an upgrade.
Dial the ip up.

Also I can trigger the adv merely by going head up and rolling to the left.

B

JonG
13-06-2018, 08:52 PM
What do u run the ip at Barry?

Mine is easy enough to trigger but doesn't feed much volume when flushing.

Barrygoss
13-06-2018, 09:13 PM
What do u run the ip at Barry?

Mine is easy enough to trigger but doesn't feed much volume when flushing.

Ah, O2 is 16 bar
Dil I donít measure as i replaced the adv with the shipwreck explorers version which is a reg diaphragm,

B