X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Irnbru
    TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Wookey Hole - 75 years of diving

Hi All - the Cave Diving Group brought out a book a few years ago (title above) - they have an offer on just now where you can buy said title for £16 and if you are in the UK it includes the P&P.

For anyone who is interested in caves, cave diving or just general diving then I can thoroughly recommend. It is a super piece of work. You can buy direct from CDG here:

This book was conceived in 1985 to mark to the Golden Jubilee of that underwater exploration. Between 1985 and 1987 Jim Hanwell collected the reminiscences of those involved with cave diving in Wookey Hole Cave together with a vast collection of relevant illustrations The stories comprised either first-hand accounts by the divers themselves or Jim’s
    Last edited by Irnbru; 11-06-2018, 09:01 PM. Reason: Updated price
    Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
    A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba
  • Chrisch
    Tofu eating wokerato
    • Jan 2013

Cool. Ordered my copy. Come on people - get buying.
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
    With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Irnbru
      TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Back in 2005 Gavin Newman (Underwater Productions) made a film covering the history of this site. He undertook a dive in attempt to obtain and film the previous limit (attained by Rob Parker back in 1985).

This footage was then viewed by Rick Stanton and he could see a possible way on over the other side of the cave, this way on was explored and the cave was pushed further during a number of audacious digging trips (at depths in excess of 90m). The book covers these latest advances and there are some fantastic photographs covering this most recent push. The book can be bought here:
      This book was conceived in 1985 to mark to the Golden Jubilee of that underwater exploration. Between 1985 and 1987 Jim Hanwell collected the reminiscences of those involved with cave diving in Wookey Hole Cave together with a vast collection of relevant illustrations The stories comprised either first-hand accounts by the divers themselves or Jim’s

Small clips of Gavin's video above and should you be interested his film can also still be purchased at:

I have no problem in highly recommending buying both items.
      Like Cave Diving? - see www.fb.me/CaveDivingFilms
      A few videos of dives I have done over the last few years - Scotland, Wales and Egypt | www.youtube.com/Stirlingscuba

Comment

• Chrisch
        Tofu eating wokerato
        • Jan 2013

Delivered very quickly and a very good read. I am near to buying a second copy as a gift. There is a lot of reading in this book - not the huge print and big margins some books use to fill the pages. Excellent.
        There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
        With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• BenL
          Gimme a medal
          • Dec 2012

Done. The recent activity in Thailand has rekindled my fascination with caves! Not going in myself, mind...

edit: the book arrived today and, as Chrisch ^^^ says, it's properly packed with enough words and pictures to occupy me for a good while. Not even started on it yet, but ready to recommend from a first glance alone.
          Last edited by BenL; 16-07-2018, 04:52 PM. Reason: update
          I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution

Comment

Working...