X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spirit of Guernsey
    Established WTF Member
    • Dec 2012

Interesting Exercise

I had a very nice pair of dives yesterday, both solo, mainly to get a few scallops. These were done with 45m of 10mm rope from the scallop bag to the surface buoys.

The first dive was very nice, seeing some new species, the second one was a very enjoyable dive, nice scenery, good visibility and a reasonable catch. I was dropped on the top edge of a reef in about 25m of water, the seabed slopes away at between 30 and 45° with a mixed bottom of small rock outcrops and broken shell/sand. I hit the bottom at slack water and was able to zigzag my way slowly down the reef until after 10 minutes I was at 30m.

It was at this point that I noticed that I had become entangled in the rope, totally my fault, but not a calamity. I had 160Bar of 26% in my single 12 and had a fully AL40 of 50%, so plenty of gas, I also had the option of easily surfacing while still tangled, although this would have been inconvenient. I therefore made the most of it and used it as a bit of practice.

I slowly and methodically traced the route of the rope, from both ends, using my hands behind my back as far as my ageing joints would allow them to go. After a couple of minutes I had built up a mental image of where I was tangled and slowly removed the rope, continually updating the mental image as I went. After about 5 minutes I was completely free, all done while hovering about a metre above the seabed. I had zero bottom time once untangled and still had plenty of gas, so continued with my hunt and then made a normal ascent.

As well as learning from the dive, I found it very enjoyable and I am sure the experience will help if I am unfortunate enough to become entangled in less favourable circumstances.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)
  • Capt Morgan
    Where'd The Bubbles Go ....?
    • Dec 2012

I see a new Houdini speciality.

Comment

• AndrewRawlingson
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Well done on extricating yourself.

At the end of a scallop dive, I send up a DSMB, then attach the line/spool to the catch bag. I use the line to ascend and then worry about collecting the bag once back in the boat. Surprisingly big hauls can be collected with a standard DSMB line.

Comment

• ebt
        #keepittea
        • Dec 2012

"tried shibari, dont think its for me, but just in case someone saw I'd better have a credible story..."
        Free "cloud" store with Dropbox // Cheap Mobile SIM only deals with GiffGaff

Comment

• steelemonkey
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ebt
          "tried shibari, dont think its for me, but just in case someone saw I'd better have a credible story..."
          I had to google that.
          Paul.
          If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
          Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• Phate
            Bewildered Nomad
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by steelemonkey
            I had to google that.
            Worringly, I didn't.
            Travel Blog Twitter

Comment

• drysuitdiver
              Banned
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phate
              Worringly, I didn't.
              errrm me neither .

Boat handling I have to pretend i am rubbish at Knots .....

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                Established WTF Member
                • Dec 2012

Have I accidentally invented a new sport?
                There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.

Comment

• Chrisch
                  Tofu eating wokerato
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Spirit of Guernsey
                  Underwater Shibari? Is it new?

Just checked and apparently not (knot??)

This is most definitely not suitable for those of you whose employer is providing an Internet connection..... https://vimeo.com/46642208
                  Last edited by Chrisch; 17-10-2017, 08:05 AM.
                  There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and Tory corruption and I am not sure about the universe.
                  With apologies to Albert Einstein.

Comment

• Phate
                    Bewildered Nomad
                    • Jan 2014

Considering it originated from Asia. I doubt it
                    Travel Blog Twitter

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                      Established WTF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phate
                      Considering it originated from Asia. I doubt it
                      They already do solo scuba bondage?

Comment

• Phate
                        Bewildered Nomad
                        • Jan 2014

They already do solo scuba bondage?
                        I wouldn't be surprised if they have a gameshow for it.
                        Travel Blog Twitter

Comment

• MikeF
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by AndrewRawlingson
                          Well done on extricating yourself.

At the end of a scallop dive, I send up a DSMB, then attach the line/spool to the catch bag. I use the line to ascend and then worry about collecting the bag once back in the boat. Surprisingly big hauls can be collected with a standard DSMB line.
                          No longer an issue in Scotland now that the Scottish government has brought in a six scallop per boat per day catch limit for anyone without a fishing licence. Quite what I'm supposed to do with six scallops and six hungry divers sort of escapes me.

Never mind I guess I can buy some more from the twats with a licence that have just bulldozed the seabed.

Comment

• AndrewRawlingson
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MikeF
                            No longer an issue in Scotland now that the Scottish government has brought in a six scallop per boat per day catch limit for anyone without a fishing licence. Quite what I'm supposed to do with six scallops and six hungry divers sort of escapes me.

Never mind I guess I can buy some more from the twats with a licence that have just bulldozed the seabed.

That is ridiculous. Six isn't even a meal for a single person.

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                              Established WTF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MikeF

They may as well have a total ban.

Comment

Working...