PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Classic and Instructor Recommendations

JonG
07-09-2017, 03:03 PM
I just wondered if there were any good leads to follow up for second hand classics and any instructors who teach the units in the UK please?

jturner
07-09-2017, 03:10 PM
I just wondered if there were any good leads to follow up for second hand classics and any instructors who teach the units in the UK please?

....... Arse! Wrong sub-thread!

matt
07-09-2017, 03:25 PM
I'm not current on instructors, but for sure get some recommendations. My only view is that if you are an open sea divers then do your training in the sea, if possible. If you are a dry suit diver do it in a dry suit, etc.

My only word of caution is that the Classic is now very old and support has ended. You may well be better looking for an older Vision, unless you plan an upgrade to the 2020 anyway, when the time comes.

Matt.

JonG
07-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks Matt its the KISS Classic i am looking at.

matt
07-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks Matt its the KISS Classic i am looking at.

That's probably why you posted it in the KISS forum. I must admit I never look at the forum name :-(

Barrygoss
07-09-2017, 04:21 PM
No one in the UK, the HSE have put the kybosh on that.

So it's off to Malta/Egypt for instruction. Simon TW teaches it

B

Paulo
07-09-2017, 06:16 PM
No one in the UK, the HSE have put the kybosh on that.

So it's off to Malta/Egypt for instruction. Simon TW teaches it

B

I know of at least 1 diver that did their KISS training in the UK

Barrygoss
07-09-2017, 08:23 PM
I know of at least 1 diver that did their KISS training in the UK

Mod1 you're supposed to be diving the same unit as your instructor (HSE) and then MOD2/3 the instructor can be on a different unit.

I had a chat with the HSE at a dive show many moons ago, they were happier if I taught myself to dive a KISS than if a UK instructor taught me in the UK due to it not being CE?...
So I taught myself.

B

Doomanic
07-09-2017, 09:13 PM
It shows... ;)

Janos
07-09-2017, 09:18 PM
I did my Mod 1 with Dave Thompson in the Red Sea, and I'd thoroughly recommend him. One of the nice things about doing the course in the Red Sea was I got lots of in water time, I think it was 13hrs. I wouldn't have done 13hrs in the Uk in November!

I then spent the winter hitting the quarries every week and really enjoyed getting my skills up.

Janos

JonG
08-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Do you dive a Kiss Janos or was it just a general heads up about warm water training?

Mark Chase
08-09-2017, 08:10 AM
No Janos and I used to dive a KISS

I didn't bother getting trained on the KISS Janos showed me the basics and I just dived it.

That said I did my Mod3 ECCR in the red sea and I can strongly recommend it in the winter months to A: be comfortable and B: crank in some serious hours

Lurning to dive a CCR is easy, I could teach you in a day, but lurning to control buoyancy just takes hours in the water and for that the red sea (in winter) or Malta is fantastic

I say in winter because you want to do the course in your dry suit.

ATB

jturner
08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
That's probably why you posted it in the KISS forum. I must admit I never look at the forum name :-(

Nor me - ignore what I said too!

matt
08-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Red Sea in winter in a dry-bag sounds like a good suggestion to me.

Mark is on the money that you need many hours to master the basics you think you already have - I hated it for the first 10 hours as I was over weighted and was all over the place. After that it started to click but was not at all comfy for the first 50+ hours.

Matt.

Janos
08-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Do you dive a Kiss Janos or was it just a general heads up about warm water training?

Yes. I had a kiss for around five years but have been diving a JJ since 2009.

Janos

Turbanator
08-09-2017, 06:27 PM
A used unit came up the other day on one of the FB pages (Buy ans Sell RB Worldwide IIRC), for 2.5k. I did my training with Martin Robson.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JonG
08-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Thanks Turbanator will have a look