• Show
Clear All
  • Jonwainwright
    New TDF Member
    • Nov 2016

Cylinder Markings

Good morning people

Just after a little advice

I recently brought a 2nd hand cylinder which is out of test, risky i know but it looks in great condition and has been stored with air in and came with a few accessory's and was only £20 the boot, protective netting and o ring holder was probably worth the £20.

Anyway I'm about to get it tested and i need to decipher the markings as I've been asked for the make, serial number and size.

The markings I can see are as follows.

Beaver - M25 Din 477 - PS232PT3 - 42 BAR - CE 0090 - TU15 2003/11 - 12L - 15kg - 4, 5MM - D ecs LLB152 UT

*disclaimer thats what i think the markings say ie the 5 might be an s or something like that.

So im guessing it was manufactured by Beaver and its a 12L cylinder and the serial number is PS232PT3

ive googled Beaver cylinder markings but im drawing a blank could anyone confirm im right? or point me in the right direction?
  • Spinal
    TDF Member
    • May 2016

PS232 sounds like it's the working pressure...

I would suggest that the LLB152 may be the serial...

Comment

• Jonwainwright
      New TDF Member
      • Nov 2016

good shout i didnt even think 232 would be the working pressure

Comment

• Iain Smith
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jonwainwright
        Good morning people

Just after a little advice

I recently brought a 2nd hand cylinder which is out of test, risky i know but it looks in great condition and has been stored with air in and came with a few accessory's and was only £20 the boot, protective netting and o ring holder was probably worth the £20.

Anyway I'm about to get it tested and i need to decipher the markings as I've been asked for the make, serial number and size.

The markings I can see are as follows.

Beaver - M25 Din 477 - PS232PT3 - 42 BAR - CE 0090 - TU15 2003/11 - 12L - 15kg - 4, 5MM - D ecs LLB152 UT

*disclaimer thats what i think the markings say ie the 5 might be an s or something like that.

So im guessing it was manufactured by Beaver and its a 12L cylinder and the serial number is PS232PT3

ive googled Beaver cylinder markings but im drawing a blank could anyone confirm im right? or point me in the right direction?
        Beaver - organisation for whom cylinder was made
        M25 DIN 477 - M25x2 neck thread (with a DIN477 connection, rather than EN 144-1. This is significant for the o-ring/washer fitted when the valve is serviced)
        PS232 - Pressure, Service: 232 bar (aka "Working Pressure")
        PT3 - 42 BAR - Pressure, Test: 342 bar (aka "Test Pressure")
        CE 0090 - CE marking
        TU15
        2003/11 - manufacturing date
        12L - Water Capacity
        15kg - weight (technically "mass")
        4,5MM - wall thickness
        ecs - the manufacturer - Eurocylinders
        LLB152 - the serial number
        UT - not sure about this! (but all of my Euros have it too, so I don't think it's part of the serial number)

So you have a Eurocylinders 12L, serial number: LLB152

TBH - the dive shop should have been able to read this straight off your cylinder and/or explain the markings to you.

Iain

Comment

• Jonwainwright
          New TDF Member
          • Nov 2016

Yeah im sure they would be able to be honest but i have a friend who gets his dive cylinders tested really cheap because his company has an account and get loads done in bulk. He basicly puts his diving cylinders in the batch along with the work ones and he has said he will add mine to them and send them with the bulk order but he needed the above information.

Nice one for the information though

Comment

• Ian_6301
            Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
            • Jan 2013

This knowledge used to be a pass/fail element of the BSAC Novice course.

Is it still in the OD course?

Do PADI teach it as part of OW?
            Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• drysuitdiver
              Banned
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Ian_6301
              This knowledge used to be a pass/fail element of the BSAC Novice course.

Is it still in the OD course?

Do PADI teach it as part of OW?
              Yes still in the OD course. OT2 slide 12....

I got taught it in OW with PADI. But knew anyway from my engineering background .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ian_6301
                Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by drysuitdiver
                Yes still in the OD course. OT2 slide 12....

I got taught it in OW with PADI. But knew anyway from my engineering background .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Looking back, there was a lot of really useful stuff about being a diver in those early lectures, which a lot of people don't seem to know these days. Never quite sure if it was just because I have a brain that retains the minutiae but rejects big chunks of "irrelevance", or whether it just wasn't being taught any more.
                Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• matt
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

TU15 - is the sign for TÃœV Thuringia (Technical Inspection Association)
                  UT - is the sign for ultra sonic test

Matt.

Originally posted by Iain Smith
                  Beaver - organisation for whom cylinder was made
                  M25 DIN 477 - M25x2 neck thread (with a DIN477 connection, rather than EN 144-1. This is significant for the o-ring/washer fitted when the valve is serviced)
                  PS232 - Pressure, Service: 232 bar (aka "Working Pressure")
                  PT3 - 42 BAR - Pressure, Test: 342 bar (aka "Test Pressure")
                  CE 0090 - CE marking
                  TU15
                  2003/11 - manufacturing date
                  12L - Water Capacity
                  15kg - weight (technically "mass")
                  4,5MM - wall thickness
                  ecs - the manufacturer - Eurocylinders
                  LLB152 - the serial number
                  UT - not sure about this! (but all of my Euros have it too, so I don't think it's part of the serial number)

So you have a Eurocylinders 12L, serial number: LLB152

TBH - the dive shop should have been able to read this straight off your cylinder and/or explain the markings to you.

Iain

Comment

• MadUKDiver
                    TDF Member
                    • Aug 2014

The incompatibility of the DIN 477-6 flange, with both EN 144-1 O-ring grooves, causes ingress of water and corrosion at the top of the grooves which may lead to leakage later in the cylinder’s life.
                    Guidance note: Incompatibility of DIN 477-6 Flange with EN 144-1 O-ring grooves
                    “We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death” -- David Sarnoff

Comment

• matt
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Interesting, thanks.

Imported to the UK in error sounds a bit odd. Destroying the valve (rather than returning to the owner) excessive.

Cheers
                      Matt.

Originally posted by MadUKDiver

Comment

• F.P.
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by matt
                        Interesting, thanks.

Imported to the UK in error sounds a bit odd. Destroying the valve (rather than returning to the owner) excessive.

Cheers
                        Matt.
                        'Destroying the valve' - well the cartel has to cope with guiding the least knowledgeable 'test' person. A decent engineer should be able to differentiate between damaging corrosion and a bit of surface crud.

Comment

• matt
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by F.P.
                          'Destroying the valve' - well the cartel has to cope with guiding the least knowledgeable 'test' person. A decent engineer should be able to differentiate between damaging corrosion and a bit of surface crud.
                          I understand that it should be removed and replaced with the correct one. But there is no need to destroy a working valve just because someone though it "best".

Comment

• Tim Digger
                            Prior Member
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by matt
                            I understand that it should be removed and replaced with the correct one. But there is no need to destroy a working valve just because someone though it "best".
                            What do you do with it though? Only really useful to a German with the particular type of cylinder. Return to owner so it remains in the system to be used in error later and continues to cause problems. Destroy or render useless and return are really the only options.
                            Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
                            Tim Digger

Comment

• ebt
                              #keepittea
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tim Digger
                              What do you do with it though? Only really useful to a German with the particular type of cylinder. Return to owner so it remains in the system to be used in error later and continues to cause problems. Destroy or render useless and return are really the only options.
                              How about return to legal owner with an explanatory note.

Can you imagine putting your car in for MOT, only to be told "sorry sir, it had lens adaptors for the continent, so we scrapped it".
                              Free "cloud" store with Dropbox // Cheap Mobile SIM only deals with GiffGaff

Comment

Working...