PDA

View Full Version : Back-up Knife/Cutting device....

Hydreliox
08-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Assuming you have a knife on the left hand waist strap, where do you stow a back up device and why?

Thankin' yous :)

Intranicity
08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Mines on my wrist, on the strap of my computer. Why, because it's easy to get too and I always have my computer.

Ian_6301
08-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I have trauma shears on the right waist band, next to my torch battery and a trilobite on my right shoulder, above the D-ring.

The way I see it, the most likely scenario is entanglement in fine net or line, for which trauma shears are more effective for one handed use than a knife. I can reach and retrieve either the shears, the trilobite or the knife with my right hand.

If my right hand is pinned / entangled, then I can reach the trilobite or the knife with my left hand.

The one that I think a lot of people overlook is someone who is not familiar with your kit needing to cut you out of it at the surface. That's why the shears are there. Any fool can use them and they go through webbing like a hot knife through butter.

Truth be told, I don't think a knife is the right tool for the job in 90% of cases, but just in case it is, I have one. Mostly it gets used for adjusting people's stage jubilee clips...

rubber chicken
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Knife on LPI hose, Eezycut Trilobite on waist strap r/h side, -because I'm right handed and if I'm using a single stage it'll be on my left -, Trauma shears on a bungy in my leg pocket, Big FO Green River mounted between BP and BP pocket, - but will probably transfer this to my stage when I get round to actually buying one-.

Logun
08-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I have my knife on my corregated inflator hose, in plain view and an eezycut on the left shoulder strap just above the d ring. Both a brightly coloured and easy to see for someone who doesnt know my kit, and I can reach both with either hand.

edward
08-02-2013, 11:48 AM
You only need to swim into one net solo to review your cutting devices:). I carry a beaver cutter on one wrist, eezycut on other, sharp knife on RH harness and shears on LH harness.

And often a big FO crowbar (fubar), cold chisel and punch, but they are not really for nets......Mmmmmm, porthole.....:)

timmyg
08-02-2013, 12:05 PM
I've an Eezycut on my harness as alreadt mentioned & a second on my computer strap. Accessable with one hand & always there.

TG

aerobrain
08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I've currently got trauma shears on my right hip and Trilobite on my computer bungees which is worn on my left wrist. I can reach the shears with both hands and obviously the Trilobite just with my right.

I do own a pretty big titanium knife that I uised to wear on the inside of my left calf. Probably still will on sea dives but undecided at the moment.

mark weaver
08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Trilobite on the waist strap near the center so i can reach it with either hand. Titanium knife on lp hose i can reach with either hand. May well stick another trilobite or small z-knife on the wrist.

ebt
08-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Small stabby knife on the waist harness strap.
Scubapoo line cutter (sharp hook thingy) on the the right hand shoulder above the d ring (so i can get to it if Im caught head first in something)
Folding knife (spyderco pacific salt) in a pocket.

All of them are fitted with bungee lanyards so in use they stay attached to my wrist. The pocket knife is NEVER used for anything other than an emergency, its bastard sharp.

I tried shears for a while, but found them bulky etc.

Graham Smith
08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Benchmade H20 Rescue hook on the ballast of the lamp, (being Halcyon, it is therefore always on my left hand). Aqua Lung Squeezelock (the smaller one) on the waistband as I like the plastic sheath in favour of a webbing sheath and it is easier to replace.

G

paulnlowry
08-02-2013, 09:42 PM
I have trauma shears on the right hand shoulder harness, a trilobite attached to my Ostc computer on my my left hand and a small sharp knife on my waistband.

matt
08-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I keep all the back-up stuff in a pocket out of the way.

Matt.

drjustice
08-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Trauma shears on waist band ,bcd knife on wing hose ,garden shears and prunning saw in pouch .

Way to much netting in near zero vis with no buddy .

Paulo
09-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Knife on front left hip which is reachable from either hand, trilobite on left shoulder, trilobite on computer on right wrist

Crazy Badger
09-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Everyone seems to have cutting devices dotted around their kit. I've just got a small knife and eezycut on the left-hand side of my harness waist band and can get to either with both hands.

I can understand needing to get to them with either hand, but do they really need to be in different places?

Rob Dobson
09-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Trauma shears in pocket, knife on waist band (central), Eezycut on wrist beneath computer. In any entanglement scenario I can think of the only useful item would be the Eezycut which requires my left arm to be free as it's on my right wrist. I should really get another for my left wrist....

Trauma sheers kinda redundant now as I can only see them being useful on the surface. Knife has been useful on a couple of occasions in the past but only as a screwdriver!

bubbleless
09-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I have one on each wrist.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7bzf0Yw09JxTUQoMomNmDIfedvowNM 786tsDiI61tqGqufJQU7w

With stainless blades

hilrosepaul
09-02-2013, 04:43 PM
A trilobite on each harness strap, a titanium knife on a lanyard on my right waist band and a beaver line cutter I lost the sheath for in my left hand wing pocket. None used in anger yet, but I can get to a primary and backup cutter on either side.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

SonicStomp
12-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Chainsaw mounted pony style to main cylinder with quick release mechanism. Powered from battery pack of torch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rob Dobson
12-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Chainsaw mounted pony style to main cylinder with quick release mechanism. Powered from battery pack of torch.

:)

Logun
12-02-2013, 01:11 PM

I used to have one of them, but was a bit worried about the idea of the teeth getting clogged, so now have a plasma cutter strapped to my left thigh instead.

Mikael
17-02-2013, 03:57 PM
For those who mount a Eezy cut or similar on their shoulder straps above the chest D ring do you mount it vertically or horizontal? I know the named product has two types of holder with the webbing set up for one or other of these orientations.

Logun
17-02-2013, 04:30 PM
For those who mount a Eezy cut or similar on their shoulder straps above the chest D ring do you mount it vertically or horizontal? I know the named product has two types of holder with the webbing set up for one or other of these orientations.

Mine is horizontal, didnt know they did holders that would sit it vertically. Horizontal works well for me, its mounted with the opening towards the centre of my chest, can get it out in one action with both left and right hand.

adm
17-02-2013, 07:44 PM

Mine is a wrist strap version ( with the smaller webbing space) and it's perfect for sitting vertically on the chest strap of my harness. Nice and easy to find, doesn't get in the way of a drysuit inflator but i guess it does rely on having a chest strap!

Paulo
17-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I have one on left shoulder, horizontal and open inwards with right hand. I have a computer on right hand with another one on the strap and that faces towards my hand so it can be used with left hand

hilrosepaul
17-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Both of mine are horizontal.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Logun
17-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I had one of the wrist holder ones and I found that I couldnt take the cutter out effectively and quickly with one hand. The fact the wrist strap loop is at the same end as the opening fotr the cutter meant that when I tried to pull it out the bottom of the holder flipped round, making the holder perpendicular to my wrist and meaning i couldnt get the cutter out. A few tries on land and I swapped for the webbing holder, which works much better.