PDA

View Full Version : 1st proper wreck

rockystock1
07-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Me and my usual buddy are feeling much more confident with our diving, we can now navigate a quarry, come up on a line, have full conversations underwater using body language, buoyancy is bang on, and between us we've spent enough money on kit to buy a posh car.
Anyway we're looking to do our 1st decent wreck dive end of march, time

Any suggestions ?

We're both aow with deep and 100+ dives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig107
07-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Book on a day boat out of Plymouth. The James Eagan laine (JEL), the Scylla and many more.
The viz is usual good and good sites for getting your bearings arond a wreck.
Granted the Scylla was put there....

rockystock1
07-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks Craig

jb2cool
07-01-2017, 08:29 PM
You've already got way more skill than some when they do their first wreck dives. I had about 15 dives and buoyancy was a bit iffy. Get out there and do some diving, fill yer boots!

SoggyBottoms
07-01-2017, 08:32 PM
if you are on FB you could join this

https://www.facebook.com/groups/372370746214296/

which is UK Dive Spaces Offered / Wanted to begin to get the lay of the land about what boats work out of where and what is available.

I would also suggest Plymouth and also have a chat with the Dive Centre or Skipper to describe your circumstances.

There is no shame in requesting a bit of hand holding as learning about diving from Dive Boats has many nuances that make it very different to puddle diving

for example - what does ropes off mean to the diver? how should I bring my gear on board? how do I secure my kit for the passage? when should I kit up? how do I get into the water? how do I get out of the water? how should I use my DSMB?

and a trillion more

rockystock1
07-01-2017, 08:57 PM
if you are on FB you could join this

https://www.facebook.com/groups/372370746214296/

which is UK Dive Spaces Offered / Wanted to begin to get the lay of the land about what boats work out of where and what is available.

I would also suggest Plymouth and also have a chat with the Dive Centre or Skipper to describe your circumstances.

There is no shame in requesting a bit of hand holding as learning about diving from Dive Boats has many nuances that make it very different to puddle diving

for example - what does ropes off mean to the diver? how should I bring my gear on board? how do I secure my kit for the passage? when should I kit up? how do I get into the water? how do I get out of the water? how should I use my DSMB?

and a trillion more

Well I love that face book page,...

SoggyBottoms
07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
now join UK Viz Reports

matt
08-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Oban and the Isle of Mull are good for first wreck dives. I did my first on the Hispania, dive #31 1/6/88, 28m 25 mins.

Matt.

dwhitlow
08-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Oban and the Isle of Mull are good for first wreck dives. I did my first on the Hispania, dive #31 1/6/88, 28m 25 mins.

Matt.

Oops. Sorry about the 'dislike'.

AndrewRawlingson
08-01-2017, 08:10 AM
The James Eagan laine (JEL), the Scylla

+1

Perhaps book with a PADI-style outfit, maybe even guided rather than some old salt skipper.

dwhitlow
08-01-2017, 08:29 AM
As well as Plymouth, Dorstet has some helpful locations. You will find Swanage Boat Charters (http://www.kyarra.com/) and Skin Deep (http://www.skindeepdiving.co.uk/) will be helpful when you explain your situation and will both offer plenty of guidance and support. Both have online booking so it is east to sort spaces.

If you've been just diving quarries (considered Fundies? ;) ) then you need to be cautious about jumping in on big tides. A spring tide on the Kyarra (Swanage) would not be a good place to start whereas the Countess of Erne in Portland Harbour is an easy wreck with little tide and looks very shipshape. This site (http://www.cardiffbsac.org/tides/) gives a good idea of when diving is easier and a small tidal range means less water moving and therefore less currents.

matt
08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Oops. Sorry about the 'dislike'.

I know, 25 mins is piss poor. But back in the 80's 30 min dives were the norm, everyone wants 60 now - lungs must have got smaller ;-)

dwhitlow
08-01-2017, 09:09 AM
I know, 25 mins is piss poor. But back in the 80's 30 min dives were the norm, everyone wants 60 now - lungs must have got smaller ;-)

I suspect equipment improvements, combined with the Internet and videos, have elevated expectations. With my PADI OW cert (in 2005) my first wreck dives were in Malta and HMS Maori (#15) and Rozi (#16) and both were 40 minutes.

Mr Flibble
08-01-2017, 09:31 AM
What Matt said, but then again I may be a bit bias. Other than the wreck of the Catalina seaplane off Great Cumbrae my first proper wreck dive was the SS Breda near Oban back in the '80's. Nice intro wreck as not deep and plenty to see. But then again a bit of a trek for you. After a few dives a week/weekend up the Sound of Mull is a must. Enjoy.

dimitri
08-01-2017, 09:58 AM
Plenty of wrecks around Swanage also, in a range of depths. Here's a sample: http://www.kyarra.com/map/map.html (the map's larger than the screen - click and move around).

AndrewRawlingson
08-01-2017, 10:02 AM
my first proper wreck dive was the SS Breda

mine too. i'd done a few years of blue water diving, then quite a few dives in quarries before the breda. happy memories!

MikeF
08-01-2017, 10:23 AM
The Breda is a fantastic first wreck dive or 1000th wreck dive. I never get bored of it and can easily spend an hour or two mooching around. Though she is starting to rapidly break up so be careful if you're tempted to go inside some of the tighter bits and don't be tempted to root around in the engine room which now resembles the end stages of a giant game of Jenga and is very unstable.

Hot Totty
08-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Countess of Erne was my first wreck dive, get it on a nice sunny day with 5-8m of viz and its sublime

matt
08-01-2017, 02:27 PM
I suspect equipment improvements, combined with the Internet and videos, have elevated expectations. With my PADI OW cert (in 2005) my first wreck dives were in Malta and HMS Maori (#15) and Rozi (#16) and both were 40 minutes.

Surprisingly my first 60 minute dive was #3, Eccleston Delph almost a year earlier.

The Breda is a fantastic dive, we used to dive it from the caravan-park on John Womack' boat (which as I recall he used to put on the roof-rack of his Volvo). First one 29m, 36 mins on 28/5/89. 14 dives total on her.

Cheers
Matt.

shapeshifter
08-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Depending on how far you want to go, there are a *lot* of wrecks between Cavalaire and Marseilles on the south coast of France in the 15m - 60m range with pretty much guaranteed good visibility and calm conditions. Also a nice wreck in at 40m in lake Annecy if you're over for skiing.

Tim Digger
08-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Could I suggest that what Rocky's post really means is anyone doing a dive that I can join to start to get in with a group doing this sort of thing. I am not a British sea diver. I have done it but I would not want to take anyone else less experienced. But I recall when Rocky first started posting there were offers. If there is one thing this site is supposed to be about it is real world arrangements.

Vanny
08-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Could I suggest that what Rocky's post really means is anyone doing a dive that I can join to start to get in with a group doing this sort of thing. I am not a British sea diver. I have done it but I would not want to take anyone else less experienced. But I recall when Rocky first started posting there were offers. If there is one thing this site is supposed to be about it is real world arrangements.

To be honest I don't read it that way, more of a search for an appropriate wreck. Didn't Rocky join a BSAC club ?

Anyway pick something simple , eastbourne dive125 are good guys and have an individuals calendar, kyarra.com at swanage (Brian/Martin) are great but as someone else said explain what your looking for , don't do the kyarra as a first and when you do not on a big tide, combine one of their shallower local wrecks with a pier dive. Skin deep at weymouth or dive beyond will do the harbour wrecks often. The countess is a lovely easy little wreck to get going on.

Don't bit bite off more than you can chew , be honest with your expectations and abilities with the skippers and enjoy!

rivers
09-01-2017, 10:10 AM
I would say anything in Portland Harbour is a good place to start, Countess of Erne, Cragside, Landing Craft/Bombardon Unit/whatever that little boat that sits next to is, Spaniard, etc. All less than 20m, easily navigated, and enjoyable dives. I wouldn't suggest a 30m sea dive to a diver that has very little sea diving experience in the UK, especially if they get the tides wrong.

mark weaver
09-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Me and my usual buddy are feeling much more confident with our diving, we can now navigate a quarry, come up on a line, have full conversations underwater using body language, buoyancy is bang on, and between us we've spent enough money on kit to buy a posh car.
Anyway we're looking to do our 1st decent wreck dive end of march, time

Any suggestions ?

We're both aow with deep and 100+ dives

One thing i would suggest is to make sure you are 100% confident in launching and ascending under an smb. Even if the wreck has a permanent buoy (scylla, JEL) if things go wrong (or the vis is very bad) you may not be able to get back to the shot so will need to deploy an smb and that would not be the time to learn.

Scylla and JEL were the first two uk sea dives me and the mrs did. Both very nice dives.

Be aware that end of march time the vis could be iffy in a lot of locations.

edward
10-01-2017, 01:53 PM
I offered to meet up and dive something on the south coast like the countess etc or something out of swanage when Rocky first talked about it. That offer still stands.

It would need to be weekday not weekend for me and I am not an instructor, just a wreck nerd.

My suggestion would be harbour wrecks like countess/bombardon/landing craft, or dep. on tides something like the Betsy-anna out of Swanage, but that's a bit more slack/current dependant. The Kyarra I could give you a tour of pretty much in my sleep, but as mentioned earlier, dep. on tides it can be a bit mary poppins to bag off from and not ideal as a first go.

GaryC
10-01-2017, 02:40 PM
If you are near Sheffield then don't forget Bridlington Bay. Something like Cadmus is a really good first dive. There are loads of wrecks in the bay due to the shallow nature. You have to go out 40 odd miles to get more than 40 metres. (South end of bay)

Ian_6301
11-01-2017, 08:13 AM
I vote for the James Egan Layne, out of Plymouth. Go with Aquanauts (Outcast) or Pete Fergus (Venture).

Superb wreck, nice and open, but still some good swim-throughs. I must have dived it a hundred times, but I could still very happily spend an hour or more just mooching around in the holds, exploring.

Plymouth is very well set up in terms of having good dive shops and good boats/skippers, but they don't generally provide guides. I'm sure that someone here would be happy to buddy with you, I certainly wouldn't mind another JEL dive!

GaleForceEight
24-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Had a poke around HMS Maori on Saturday. 49 minutes under, shore entry/exit and we were time limited by whoever had highest consumption. I had 90 bar remaining - depth is only 14-15m.

Did the P29 and the Rozi yesterday. 30m dives, shore entry, 37 and 39 minutes. P29 was fairly busy but we were the only people on the Rozi in spite of it being a generally busy area. (People probably hadn't finished laughing at the spectacle of Ryan, Millie, and I throwing ourselves off the wall 10m or so down into the sea!)

ScubaLifeMalta are good guides - it's a small shop in Melliha (north end of Malta close to Cirkewwa and the Gozo ferry). Friendly, and will cater for clubs as well as families. (If you have a party of 6, either one dives free or you can spread the share across the group, your choice).

Scuba Turtle
21-11-2017, 05:06 PM
If you like wreck diving and really want to look at history, go to Chuuk (Truk) lagoon. I just came back from there and dove 8 wrecks over 3 days. There are 52 documented wrecks around the lagoon and many are shallow if you are not good on air and easy to enter the main structure with a guide if have not taken a Tech wreck course. I stayed at the Blue Lagoon and they have excellent service, plenty of boats for all levels, and good guides with each boat. I bumped into 2 divers from the UK taking 3 months to travel to all of the destinations in Micronesia. I also bumped into a video girl there and she will be posting some good videos of Truk