PDA

View Full Version : Wet contacts

Garspeed
08-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Guys

Anyone having trouble with wet connects on hud and / or handset on divecan? Mine are a pain in the ass and i can sometimes spend ages turnng either or both off time and again when they keep switching themselves on, even if i have tried to dry them first

Any suggestions or anyone know if they can be disabled somehow?

Chrs
Gar

Paul r s
08-11-2016, 09:31 PM
How old is the unit. I'm sure from memory JJ offered a free replacement on huds on early models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garspeed
08-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Unit is only couple of yrs old, hud is worse but handset also does similar

Paul r s
09-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Send Jan an email.
May get free replacements

Garspeed
10-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Thx, will try swapping it out with spare, maybe one i am using is old one, got new one under warranty after button failure but still one spare. Handset is only year and half old tho and still issue

Garspeed
10-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Just been told I need to check and upgrade firmware, Thx Nick

Baron015
12-11-2016, 05:24 PM
I have an early JJ Divecan unit with the latest firmware. I still have this issue.

The unit is almost impossible to turn off and then turns on again at the merest hint of dampness. I am going through quite a few sets of batteries, with solenoid endlessly firing since the handset won't allow me to set 0.19 since it thinks it's wet.

Real PITA. I never had this problem with my analogue JJ.

Shearwater have apparently made physical changes to the handset to fix this on the newest JJ units. The view from Narked service centre is that unless Jan is willing to replace my handset, which is unlikely, it is tough luck and nothing can be done.

Garspeed
13-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Doh, not what i wanted to hear andris as just discovered my firmware is several versions out of date, was assuming an update would fix issue. Thx for info anyway buddy

Capt Morgan
13-11-2016, 12:48 PM
I have an early JJ Divecan unit with the latest firmware. I still have this issue.

The unit is almost impossible to turn off and then turns on again at the merest hint of dampness. I am going through quite a few sets of batteries, with solenoid endlessly firing since the handset won't allow me to set 0.19 since it thinks it's wet.

Real PITA. I never had this problem with my analogue JJ.

Shearwater have apparently made physical changes to the handset to fix this on the newest JJ units. The view from Narked service centre is that unless Jan is willing to replace my handset, which is unlikely, it is tough luck and nothing can be done.

Is it not the same physical handset used by lots of other manufactures?
It would seem odd that the JJ is the only unit suffering with this problem.
I'd be well pissed off if I had spent hard cash on a unit and basically told
to live with it.

mente
13-11-2016, 12:48 PM
i dive a 2014 JJ, had the sam issues. Last spring I updated the firmware and the issue was solved.

Baron015
13-11-2016, 06:14 PM
I find rinse the wet contacts with fresh water, then dry, and it mainly stays off. Evian is particularly good, Highland Spring is ok too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garspeed
31-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Just completed week of wreck diving in Scapa with new software updated on my handset and new HUD fitted from my spares kit. Issue was much improved with only one or two times where I needed to turn off handset or HUD for second time after they had restarted due to wet contacts. Never rinsed anything with fresh water at all but good to know this helps if required

Baron015
31-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Yeah on my recent Scapa trip the handset frequently did not offer a Turn Off option after diving, until I had made some effort to dry the contacts and arrange the handset so it was kept away from anything wet like the wing or counter lungs or harness. Still a PITA.

I've developed a new approach for de-stressing ; don't worry about it, leave the handset on if it wants to stay on, and change the battery a bit more frequently.

MikeF
31-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Sounds like stepping back to 1986 and trying to stop your Aladdin with carbon contacts saying err on the screen.
Is this a petrel thing as my predator controller doesn't do this?

matt
31-01-2017, 04:03 PM
The Vision is the same (assuming it is working). It goes off then after a moment or two comes back on, then sits at the "Open O2" prompt and after a bit starts beeping.

Is there some epoxy you can get to bung up the contacts?

Matt.

Baron015
31-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Sounds like stepping back to 1986 and trying to stop your Aladdin with carbon contacts saying err on the screen.
Is this a petrel thing as my predator controller doesn't do this?

I understand it's just the early batch of Divecan JJ controllers, and there was a design change to the wet contacts to fix it, so the rumour says. But those with early models are stuck with them.