X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dazdiver
    TDF Member
    • May 2013

Flying with your unit on Easy Jet.

Hi has any of you guys had any experience flying with easy jet to Hurgharda and taking your units and lime.
    Booked on Whirwind end of April and they quoting £25 a fill for lime, think you can buy a sports bag for £60 return so was thinking of taking a tub but it's a 20 kg limit on hold luggage.
    Any help would be much appreciated as never took my unit to Egypt before.

Cheers.
    Daz.
  • Mikael
    Could start a fight in a convent.
    • Dec 2012

Mighy help if you said which unit you have.
    Good luck
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Comment

• Touchwood1970
      TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

I haven't flown to Hurghada with them but have just returned from Sardinia using easyJet.
      Put my unit (JJ) in hold bag as the unit comes in at just under 20kgs with empty canister and no bottles. One other hold bag containing drysuit etc and the head of the unit in a carry on bag. No problems at all but sometimes a 5 or 10 minute delay at security while they try to figure out what the head is.
      We always ship a couple of tubs of lime out via TNT a couple of weeks beforehand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ken
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

I paid 10 EURO/kg last December on Hurricane (same fleet). I think I'd been told it would be £10/kg. Obviously your £s will be a pale imitation of mine from last year so get down the post office fast and hedge...

I think it worked out that I'd save a few quid if I took my own. It is about £4/kg here and the shipping another £1 or £2 per kilo. You might save £3/kg or maybe £45. Remember a tub weighs 20kg of lime + the plastic so you would need to remove some before going to get in the 20kg limit.

We had 80kg of checked baggage between two. I have found it is such a hassle travelling with all that stuff that I'm prepared to pay for local lime.

Comment

• BjFaeTorphins
          TDF Member
          • Apr 2013

I purchased from coltri in hurghada previously. It was a few years ago but it was more expensive than here in the UK but much less than you'll pay on a boat.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Janos
            "Three Sheds"
            • Dec 2012

I flew to Hurghada with my KISS in hand luggage. No problems but I took a few print outs with pictures in it so when checked by security I could show what it was.
            I also had a tub of lime in the hold. I put it inside a flimsy bag, took off the corrosive stickers, and taped the MSDS sheet (downloadable from AP) to the side.
            Apart from a few questions everything was fine.

However these days I can't be faffed and dive open circuit in the Red Sea. It's perfect for looking at pretty fishes but YMMV.

Janos
            You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
            Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
            My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

Comment

• SilentDiver
              TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

A couple of friends of mine flew out last month for a liveaboard and they were telling me that people were being prevented from taking rebreather heads/electrics in hand luggage and that they had to be in with your main luggage.

Might be worth double checking on that, although it may be an Airport security thing rather than a individual airline policy.
              Duct Tape is like "The Force". It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Comment

Working...