PDA

View Full Version : Full Face Mask

Cybes
11-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Daft question time.

If you are using a BOV and a gag strap , why aren't you using a full face mask?

If your bail out is plumbed in you won't need to swap regs if you have a problem so the mask won't be coming off.
Plus the full face mask must be more secure and comfortable than a reg clamped to your face by a gag strap.

Don't they make full face masks for CCR?

I know nothing of CCR but I touched upon it in another thread which got me thinking...

Ian_6301
11-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Damn, you're on fire today!

Not a CCR diver (yet) myself, but it's something I've always wondered about, for sure. Suspect that you'd want a FFM with a bite valve still, to minimise the "dead space" that could harbour CO2?

Nickpicks
11-10-2016, 11:06 AM
They were using FFMs on CCR in the film Sanctum, so they must exist.

And the Divex Stealth can have one:
https://www.jfdglobal.com/files/1814/6546/1703/CDLSE_1_-_FS.JPG

thetrickster
11-10-2016, 01:27 PM
I've have the adaptor for my Guardian FFM fitted so it can fit on my OCB (via the adaptor from Silent Diving - I don't think AP will sell or even acknowledge an adaptor exists...)

The main issue with FFM and rebreather is the screen fogging, as the FFM is designed to vent up the screen on inhale (on OC), so always giving you a clear vision, as the CCR is just circulating warm, moist air, you have to be real good at spraying it before donning as you don't get the venting effect.

nigel hewitt
11-10-2016, 03:06 PM
If you're using a full face mask why aren't you doing the job properly and using a hat?

I don't like full face masks. The only one that doesn't leak on me is my Russian IDA one.
Maybe I have a Russian shaped head...

Tewdric
11-10-2016, 03:17 PM
I absolutely love the Aga due to the lack of bite block and consequent relaxed jaw muscles. I seem to have good seal and can run it positive pressure on scuba without losing gas. I only don't plan to dive it all the time because if the lack if kit compatibility with others.

I am even thinking of buying a second one and offering FFM try dives and specialties at NDAC. I'm Not sure I have the time though..

doggy's doodah
11-10-2016, 06:50 PM
I used to love the old RN FFMs. A regular mouthpiece and a noseclip. Never had any problems with fogging up or leaks and at the time had a beard! Don't know if the RN still use that model, but if I saw one available I'd have it now! Very similar to that in the pictures above.

iain/hsm
11-10-2016, 11:24 PM
I used to love the old RN FFMs. A regular mouthpiece and a noseclip. Never had any problems with fogging up or leaks and at the time had a beard! Don't know if the RN still use that model, but if I saw one available I'd have it now! Very similar to that in the pictures above.

Agreed a lovely mask I did all my diver training on, Called the AP Mask or the Admaralty Pattern mask, it had a water filled seal than the newer AGA reflex seal and had a panoramic visor window.
The spider was a tad poor IMHO pull too much on the tabs would fall off.
The nose clip I used to nudge off. Not issued to the RN anymore
Agreed no problems with a beard but the RN neoprene smooth rubber neoprene hood also helped get a seal

While we wait for me to take a photo of one here is something you dont see much of now a days
a proper full face mask with a proper dewatering demisting valve and in well hard black.
With a proper spider you wont pull the tabs off and comms for a change rather than the 4 pulls 2 bells (for those in the know) :think: LOL

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/iainhsm/IMG_1266_zps5e44ea8a.jpg[/URL]

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/iainhsm/IMG_1267_zps6e484263.jpg[/URL]

iain/hsm
12-10-2016, 12:11 AM
More FFM you seldom see

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/iainhsm/Picture%20021_zpshu7wkar3.jpg[/URL]

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/iainhsm/Picture%20015_zpsfvkux4b8.jpg[/URL]

Here you go with the Admiralty Pattern mask.
You take the red plastic wrapper off before use mind bit like a sweetie wrapper
and the yellow thing in the background is a Heliox 18 also technically a full face mask

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/iainhsm/Picture%20023_zpsh6pou4rr.jpg[/URL]

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/iainhsm/Picture%20024_zpsusybeqbn.jpg[/URL]

WFO
12-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Daft question time.

If you are using a BOV and a gag strap , why aren't you using a full face mask?

If your bail out is plumbed in you won't need to swap regs if you have a problem so the mask won't be coming off.
Plus the full face mask must be more secure and comfortable than a reg clamped to your face by a gag strap.

Don't they make full face masks for CCR?

I know nothing of CCR but I touched upon it in another thread which got me thinking...

Yes you can use quite a few masks with CCR
Important thing is low dead space, most use internal mouthbite for this.

I have panorama mask I am going to convert to CCR use eventually

Cybes
12-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Yes you can use quite a few masks with CCR
Important thing is low dead space, most use internal mouthbite for this.

I have panorama mask I am going to convert to CCR use eventually

Am I right in thinking that some of the FFM's the Fire Brigade use have speech diaphragms fitted so you can speak to your team members and use radio comms?

Seems a shame to be running in stealth mode without all those noisy bubbles and not use it to your advantage.

Saying that, the firemen don't have the mouth bite in their kit.

timmoranuk
12-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Drager Panorama Nova type R with a P-ported Shrimp BOV. Perfect...

Tewdric
12-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Aga masks (not to be confused with surface SCBA as used by the fire service and also made by Interspiro) can be fitted with through water comms, hardwired surface comms with surface supply and also a "buddy phone" diver to diver system. Other FFMs are available!

timmoranuk
12-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Am I right in thinking that some of the FFM's the Fire Brigade use have speech diaphragms fitted so you can speak to your team members and use radio comms?

Seems a shame to be running in stealth mode without all those noisy bubbles and not use it to your advantage.

Yes, but these surface FFMs are not suitable for use underwater or with CCR. Normally, surface FFMs have a curved lens which, if used u/w, refraction causes severe distortion. A CCR FFM should be equipped with a bite mouthpiece which eliminates the dead space in the mask and, consequently, CO2 build-up. Its useful to also have an O/C second stage plugged into the FFM which, if fed from diluent, allows easy adjustment of loop volume and, potentially, an alternative o/c gas resource to the BOV. The Drager ticks these boxes.

WFO
13-10-2016, 10:13 AM

You can talk on CCR anyway, bit garbled but understandaable.
The voice plate replaces the front pod in the panorama, it's very different to the R type pod with the mouthbite

drysuitdiver
13-10-2016, 04:10 PM
You can talk on CCR anyway, bit garbled but understandaable.
The voice plate replaces the front pod in the panorama, it's very different to the R type pod with the mouthbite

I know a long term couple that talk underwater on OC and understand each other . The rest of us just listen the the garbled stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk