PDA

View Full Version : High visibility gear

Irnbru
06-10-2016, 10:45 AM
What it says on the tin...if manufacturers made BCDs/Wings/drysuits using high visibility materials would you buy them?

Tel
06-10-2016, 10:52 AM
What it says on the tin...if manufacturers made BCDs/Wings/drysuits using high visibility materials would you buy them?

Yes, but they'd need to come up with a dirt resistant surface which isnt easy.

Most attempts at lighter/brighter colours look/get grubby fast, the colours also fade faster, especailly
when hit with sunlight. I've got a Otter Hammerhead with yellow arms stained with antifoul that's
reduced the value of the suit. The same on a black Otterskin, well you'd not even notice.

Then what about delaminating caused by different coloured pigments?
What starts off as fucia pink goes almost pastel pink with a few seasons in the sun and with some materials
can even start to break down.

Chrisch
06-10-2016, 11:06 AM
There's no option for don't give a monkey's. I wouldn't pay extra or seek it out and I wouldn't not buy it if it was twat yellow.

Hawk13
06-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Poll is too generic IMO. I would consider certain hi-vis (eg fins and SMB) probably not on a drysuit.

PhilPage
06-10-2016, 11:40 AM
My drysuit has hi-viz strips on the arms & I have aftermarket reflectors on my BC.

nigel hewitt
06-10-2016, 11:48 AM
My fins are green or yellow, my drysuit is blue/black, my rebreather case, surprisingly, is yellow but the rest of the kit is black.
I hate black.
Black is a can't see colour.
I don't want high vis but I just want less black.
I want the hoses different from the clips different from the harness different from the zips different from the pockets different from the suit different from the gloves different from the knife sheath etc.
I really do hate black.

I wear the Fladden 'sear yer eyeballs' jacket on the boat because it is warm, it floats and is self righting in the water not because it is yellow beyond belief.

Steve Clark
06-10-2016, 11:54 AM
White fins - yes
White cylinders - yes
Large SMB with solas tape - yes
Very large torch for the surface, switched off until sunset - yes

Everything else makes no difference.

Spinal
06-10-2016, 12:14 PM
My drysuit is an old otter, the top half is (was?) high vis orange...

The downside is that the orange has faded, and looks (very) grubby. My next suit will be plain black as it hides the dirt.

Mikael
06-10-2016, 12:14 PM
I am onto my second drysuit and went with large parts in orange again. The first suit (now my back up) was bought in 2011 from Otter and sun has indeed faded the colour a bit but who cares. In fact a faded otter is a sure sign it has seen a plenty of diving and testament to the manufactures build quality.

I have black F1s. I quite fancy something colourful but my fins are still going strong and at the moment can't justify the spending.

Just getting started with my KUBI dry gloves and opted for white. Should make hand signals really easy to see.

Hood is standard Waterproof type. I think a high viz version would be smart but the one they do do is 10/5 mm and bibbed (not to mention 60).

Hood is the one that surprises. If you lose your SMB your head is the one bit above the water so black / blue makes the least sense here

Mikael
06-10-2016, 12:15 PM
Dirt ?

Just hose it down.

leehebs
06-10-2016, 03:05 PM
I used to dive with a guy with a bright yellow hood, it was great could see him fo mile, still did not stop me taking the pee as he looked like a tennis ball.

I like black as I like t blend in with nature not stand out like a beacon, for that I carry a folding flag, radio and torch

Noggin the Nog
06-10-2016, 06:06 PM
When we first started buying wetsuits they always seemed to have bright colours inside but were (mainly) black on the outside. Someone told us this was so you were easier to find once your wetsuit had been torn open on the rocks/wreck/ by sharks teeth.

Perhaps drysuits should be bright colours on the inside ;-)

btw: I like bright accessories. One of the most useful has been the folding flag. Bungeed to your cylinder it makes you very visible to those behind you (great in groups when your buddy is trying to spot you amongst the throng.

Tewdric
07-10-2016, 06:48 PM
I've seen RN divers in yellow hoods and they do stand out. I did look for one once but couldn't source one.

doggy's doodah
07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
I used to dive with a guy with a bright yellow hood, it was great could see him fo mile, still did not stop me taking the pee as he looked like a tennis ball.

I didn't know we'd dived together!

doggy's doodah
07-10-2016, 07:40 PM
I've seen RN divers in yellow hoods and they do stand out. I did look for one once but couldn't source one.

I'm a sad, sad bunny. I used to make my own hoods. Back in the day I found some neoprene which was flourescent pink one side and flourescent yellow the other - deep joy! So I made a couple of hoods, but cut the panels in half, so I had alternate quadrants of pink and yellow!

But it did stand out!

Some of you PSOFs might remember me!

I had gloves to match! But I bought them.

Spirit of Guernsey
08-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I have a fluorescent yellow hood for night diving, Beaver do them.

OrangeHead
08-10-2016, 05:13 PM
My username indicates my preference for hood colour :-)
When I got my drysuit from O'Three there was a misunderstanding at first - quickly resolved - and as a result I have an unused hood (L) with bright yellow side panels available. if anyone would like it, PM me.

Sent from my GT-I9401 using Tapatalk

Tewdric
08-10-2016, 07:34 PM
I've just discovered that the Navy use Northern Diver hoods, which are reversible yellow and black, with a close fitting super flexible face seal that works well with an Aga mask as well as a half mask. I'll give one a go. Black to look cool on quarry YouTube vids, yellow when the viz is poor and in the sea where losing your blob in a swell could lead to drama. Can't hurt.

Manuel Delgado
08-11-2018, 07:52 PM
When we first started buying wetsuits they always seemed to have bright colours inside but were (mainly) black on the outside. Someone told us this was so you were easier to find once your wetsuit had been torn open on the rocks/wreck/ by sharks teeth.

Perhaps drysuits should be bright colours on the inside ;-)

btw: I like bright accessories. One of the most useful has been the folding flag. Bungeed to your cylinder it makes you very visible to those behind you (great in groups when your buddy is trying to spot you amongst the throng.

Greetings to all from Southern Spain. I have just bought a three part foldable diving flag (https://www.divingdirect.co.uk/diving-c46/accessories-c72/safety-accessories-c84/submerge-folding-flag-p83) in the UK on the internet, because we normally do diving from the shore and I would like to ask you how you attach the flag to the side of the bottle. As the size of the flag pole, still folded, is relatively large, I thought of tying it to the cinch of the bottle, and parallel to it. What I can't think of is any idea that would allow me to separate it from the tie without the need for third party help or having to remove my jacket. Any idea or help on the placement will be welcome. Thank you

Noggin the Nog
08-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Greetings to all from Southern Spain. I have just bought a three part foldable diving flag (https://www.divingdirect.co.uk/diving-c46/accessories-c72/safety-accessories-c84/submerge-folding-flag-p83) in the UK on the internet, because we normally do diving from the shore and I would like to ask you how you attach the flag to the side of the bottle. As the size of the flag pole, still folded, is relatively large, I thought of tying it to the cinch of the bottle, and parallel to it. What I can't think of is any idea that would allow me to separate it from the tie without the need for third party help or having to remove my jacket. Any idea or help on the placement will be welcome. Thank you

Hi. The flag is kept tidy with a small bungee (elastic band) loop around the middle of the folded sections. There are two larger bungee loops around the bottom and top of the cylinder and the flag is pushed though those, typically positioning it on one side where I can reach it either over my shoulder, or grab the lower end of the poles & pull it out downwards. Bungees on the cylinder are kept in place sandwiched between the cylinder and the mounting plate. I accept that I may loose the small one when deploying the flag but that's OK and I usually just place it over two fingers until we're back on board.

Divemouse
08-11-2018, 10:13 PM
My first drysuit was fluorescent yellow, orange and green and still people lost me...

Manuel Delgado
08-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Hi. The flag is kept tidy with a small bungee (elastic band) loop around the middle of the folded sections. There are two larger bungee loops around the bottom and top of the cylinder and the flag is pushed though those, typically positioning it on one side where I can reach it either over my shoulder, or grab the lower end of the poles & pull it out downwards. Bungees on the cylinder are kept in place sandwiched between the cylinder and the mounting plate. I accept that I may loose the small one when deploying the flag but that's OK and I usually just place it over two fingers until we're back on board.

Thanks for your response, ill give a try this weekend

jturner
09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your response, ill give a try this weekend

Depending on the length, you might be able to attach it to the side of a backplate if you use one? I was experimenting with this with a Bowstone flag but haven't got very far as MrsT and I currently use the Narked@60 ones that come in a pouch that's strapped to the cam band.

Regarding deployment, I cannot deploy mine without taking my BCD off but I decided that if things are serious enough that I need the flag out, I'd probably be better sitting on the BCD anyway to gain as much height above the water as possible. We've only used it a few times and then MrsT deployed mine or I used her's, so no need to dekit. We treat the flag as a last resort tool and in all the years we've carried one (6-7), we've only used it twice and neither time was a real emergency.

stuart_m
09-11-2018, 12:58 PM

You can get them from Lomo Watersports for 13. I got one from them a few years ago, always use it when diving off a boat even though it does make me look uncannily like a Minion. Skippers always tell me how much they like it as it makes me so much easier to spot on the surface.

Makes giving my buddy the slip underwater a bit more challenging though.... ;)

Allan Carr
09-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Many years ago, it was common practice to wear a separate dayglo orange over hood (just plastic, not neoprene). I've still got mine in the loft somewhere - it's only a mere 48 years old!

As for flags, mine is made from upvc plumbing pipe and an old SMB which split.

Tim Digger
09-11-2018, 04:53 PM
I used to have an orange hood but left it at Dosthill Quarry it was not handed in so somebody must like it! I have yellow fins. I am a great believer in flags. We have made several rather larger than usually sold and have taken to mounting them on cheap fibreglass telescopic fishing rods.

Manuel Delgado
11-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Tested the system of attachment to the bottle this weekend and everything without problems, thank you very much to all. The main problem I find is that with the current system or a partner unlocks the post of the bottle or I have to remove the wing to remove it myself. I tried to position it on the steel plate, but the post is too big and it did bother me when diving.