PDA

View Full Version : Energizer v Duracell

Darrentt
31-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi, I ordered some energiser cr123 3v batteries off amazon for a direct replacement on my vision head unit. When they arrived they had sent me Duracell cr123 3v batteries instead. Question is are these better/worse than energiser, should I only use energiser with the unit? Is there a better battery to use?
Subject prob been done to death on other forums.

SilentDiver
31-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Duracell are on the list of approved batteries for APD Rebreathers so you should be fine.

Approved Batteries:
Fujitsu
Energizer
Varta
Sanyo
Duracell

Major Clanger
31-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi, I ordered some energiser cr123 3v batteries off amazon for a direct replacement on my vision head unit. When they arrived they had sent me Duracell cr123 3v batteries instead. Question is are these better/worse than energiser, should I only use energiser with the unit? Is there a better battery to use?
Subject prob been done to death on other forums.

Hope you bought rechargeables ;)

cotochris
31-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I like the one with the Bunny advert, can't remember which one it is though :(

SilentDiver
31-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Both Duracell and Energizer have used bunnies in there advertising.

thetrickster
31-01-2013, 01:12 PM
After my (almost major mistake) experience of looking at the rechargeable CRP2 batteries (and then spending time reading up on Energizer / Duracell)

I think the Duracells are slighty ahead in terms of constant load, but I think the difference is so slight...

Energizer Specs - http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/123.pdf

Duracell Specs - http://www.duracell.com/media/en-US/pdf/gtcl/Product_Data_Sheet/NA_DATASHEETS/Li123_US_OS.pdf

Darrentt
31-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Spoke to ap this afternoon, they recommend Fujitsu and energiser. The duracell may drop off quickly.

Logun
31-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Both Duracell and Energizer have used bunnies in there advertising.

Theyre not batteries mate. Although some of them do take batteries. :D

SilentDiver
31-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Spoke to ap this afternoon, they recommend Fujitsu and energiser. The duracell may drop off quickly.

If you ask me a change in the list of approved/recommended batteries is the kind of information that should be put out on the Inspiration list......

Major Clanger
31-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Surely it's not the battery manufacturer that's important but the battery type. Non rechargeable for obvious reasons, but also battery type for their manner of decay, failure and length of life. Wrapped up, but I think my packs are alkaline duracells and sold by the unit manufacturer. Other retailers sell lithium packs for the same unit. Both provide slow decay rates and good battery life.

SilentDiver
31-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Surely it's not the battery manufacturer that's important but the battery type.

Agree..

But if the manufacturer has changed the spec slightly and now arent suitable according to the rebreather manufacturer then owners/users should be made aware maybe.......

Major Clanger
31-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Agree..

But if the manufacturer has changed the spec slightly and now arent suitable according to the rebreather manufacturer then owners/users should be made aware maybe.......

Possibly though not sure how they'd do that in a controlled manner. Bound to be some/most(?) that miss the update.

Major Clanger
31-01-2013, 10:47 PM
To add to that, would a battery spec change that much to have a significant effect on the unit? If that was the case, the battery was probably too close to the edge of tolerance for the unit in the first place I'd have thought.

o2dependant
01-02-2013, 12:02 AM
I have been told that the age of the battery is a factor to consider. I noticed that many manufactures date stamp the packs in Asia..

matt
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I use only energizer and return other brands when sent.

Matt.

JPTaylor
02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I had issues on a ascent with Duracell's, had a pair installed (should have mixed brands) had one die completely, when unit switched to backup that went to 1bar & "low battery" warning! Both new batteries.

use Energizer or Fujitsu's.

Would be happy to give Sanyo/Varta a go.... (but with an Energizer as backup)

SilentDiver
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
When I was diving a Classic I tried the Panasonic's as 4 other Inspiration divers in the club all used them with no problem's at all 2 on Visions and 2 on classics.

I had massive problems with them though and gave up after a very short period of time, once I switched to Energizer's/factory approved batteries, (including using Duracell's), all the problems stopped so I carried on using them regardless of the extra cost.

When I switched to the Vision I decided that I would only use approved batteries as I couldn't be arsed to go through all the hassle I had with the Panasonic's.

So now with the info above I will not be using Duracell's either, regardless of how cheap they can be bought, if there is the slightest chance of problems with them loosing power rapidly towards the end then I just don't want to go through the hassle again.....

nickb
02-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm happy to use any flavour of CRP2 in the JJ. The Shearwater reports the voltage under load, so it's easy to monitor how they're behaving and they seem to last a good long time after getting the LOW SOLENOID VOLTAGE warning. I can pick them for £2-3 so I'm quite happy to chuck them early, for instance if I have to open the battery chamber to change the HUD battery.

Hot Totty
02-02-2013, 01:55 PM
No help to you but mines integral, just been changed in the 200hr service, a tenner - reckon I would have spent many times that amount in disposables. As an aside why don't the ccr manufactures (using disposables) configure their electronics to work with rechargeable batteries, surely more environmental ;)

matt
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I change both of mine every 20-30 hours depending on temperature at a cost of £8.64. Based on 100 hours per year this is £35. This is about the same price as 2 bottles of the wine I just opened.

Matt.

JPTaylor
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
I change both of mine every 20-30 hours depending on temperature at a cost of £8.64. Based on 100 hours per year this is £35. This is about the same price as 2 bottles of the wine I just opened.

Matt.

Expensive wine! I'd get 7 bottles of Château Sainsbury's for that money :D

matt
03-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Expensive wine! I'd get 7 bottles of Château Sainsbury's for that money :D

Experimented with some Italian, the Rocca Alata Amarone della Valpolicella.

However I've now settled on preferring Viña Mara Rioja Gran Reserva.

You can even put the £2 saved towards changing your battery!

Matt.

Dangerous Dave
14-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I've been using Sony's in a classic for 2yrs, changing the master every 12 hours and dropping the slave into the master slot. I've had no problems at all, £1.00 each.

JPTaylor
14-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been using Sony's in a classic for 2yrs, changing the master every 12 hours and dropping the slave into the master slot. I've had no problems at all, £1.00 each.

Classic's are more tolerant of various batteries, you can even use Panasonic's (I did) because Classic's electronics are fairly simple. Vision (as as suspect OP has) is demand more as it's doing much more than Classic handset.

SilentDiver
14-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Classic's are more tolerant of various batteries, you can even use Panasonic's (I did) because Classic's electronics are fairly simple. Vision (as as suspect OP has) is demand more as it's doing much more than Classic handset.

I had massive problems when I used Panasonic's in my classic. As soon as I switched to Energizer's problems stopped as soon as I switched to a Vision unit I decided not to take the chance and stayed with Energizer's.

matt
15-02-2013, 08:42 PM
10 years with Panasonic's in the Classic, rotate every 12 hrs, no issues.

Wouldn't use them in a Vision - Energizer only for me.

Why risk it with a £1 battery? YMMV.

Matt.

geoffd
17-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Used the Fujitsus for years in my Vision with absolutely no problems but haven't seen any around for a while so I switched to the Energizers. What I have noticed with them is on the first dive the battery indicator drops to 2 out of 3 bars for that dive but every dive after that up until about 25 hours on-time they give 3 out of 3 bars.

Strange but doesn't seem to cause a problem.